7 Posts

Evolution: Climate» Forums » Rules

Subject: About Intelligence and Scarvenger rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jatesada Roongwarin
Thailand
flag msg tools
if Carnivore have Intelligence discard to negates all copy of Scavenger Trait but this Carnivore have Scavenger too. I don't know Scavenger on this Carnivore will attive or dissable. please tell me. Thanks you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jateonline wrote:
if Carnivore have Intelligence discard to negates all copy of Scavenger Trait but this Carnivore have Scavenger too. I don't know Scavenger on this Carnivore will attive or dissable. please tell me. Thanks you

I believe that the wording in the rulebook is literal, in that when you discard a card with Intelligence, it negates or turns off ALL copies of a single trait, which would include copies on your own species.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jatesada Roongwarin
Thailand
flag msg tools
yes I see wording in rulebook but I not sure. Thanks for help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, this use of Intelligence is in dispute. Future versions of the game may specify the intent of Intelligence: To negate a defensive trait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CenozoicMatt wrote:
Of course, this use of Intelligence is in dispute. Future versions of the game may specify the intent of Intelligence: To negate a defensive trait.

It's in dispute? I'm not aware of that? To me, it makes perfect thematic sense. Intelligence isn't merely for feeding (in the real world). In the game itself, an herbivore can have intelligence. To me, it is thematic to say an intelligent carnivore might recognize that other species come in and feed off its kill, so it decides to hide the carcass to feed on later. Boom - negated scavenger.

Can you point to where this use of intelligence is in dispute? My understanding of the design philosophy of this game is that they err on the side of simplicity - it would be far more complicated to put restrictions on which cards Intelligence could negate, making the barrier to entry and understanding the game greater.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
whattheproblemis wrote:
CenozoicMatt wrote:

It's in dispute? I'm not aware of that? To me, it makes perfect thematic sense. Intelligence isn't merely for feeding (in the real world). In the game itself, an herbivore can have intelligence. To me, it is thematic to say an intelligent carnivore might recognize that other species come in and feed off its kill, so it decides to hide the carcass to feed on later. Boom - negated scavenger.

Can you point to where this use of intelligence is in dispute? My understanding of the design philosophy of this game is that they err on the side of simplicity - it would be far more complicated to put restrictions on which cards Intelligence could negate, making the barrier to entry and understanding the game greater.

There's multiple threads around here where Dominic Crapuchettes talks about how they're likely to change Intelligence in order to simplify it and create less weird cases. Since cards are (now) color coded, it's easy to say 'Discard to negate any defensive (gray) trait.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The original thread was asking about what happens when an intelligent carnivore negates carnivore and if that is even legal.

Here is the designer's answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.