Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Fazio
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Greetings, all.

In "Escape from Innsmouth" there's a mythos event that thematically seems like it should only harm investigators in alleys and streets, but that mechanically probably applies to all investigators. I wanted a second opinion just to be sure, though. Do you interpret the following text to apply to all investigators or just those in spaces marked "alley" or "street" (of which there are many in the scenario):
A few members of the mob begin singing a horrid, croaking melody, and in response, the sea begins to sing along. The inhuman notes echo through the alleys and streets, insinuating themselves into the minds of all who hear it. Each investigator suffers 2 facedown Horror.

I know the last sentence reads conclusively. Maybe I'm just taken aback by how brutal the event is, but doesn't the second-to-last sentence suggest it's only for alleys and streets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Pantaloni
Italy
Camerata Picena
AN
flag msg tools
mb
In my opinion everything before the last sentence is just flavor text; if I remember correctly we played that everybody suffers the damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, ignore the flavour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can hear the singing everywhere, because it is echoing in the streets and alleys.

It's like sitting in the parking lot of a Boy Band Concert. You can still hear it and you're still horrified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Fazio
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
It's like sitting in the parking lot of a Boy Band Concert. You can still hear it and you're still horrified.

See, there goes another example of evocative flavor text overriding my ability to just read the denotative meaning of the rule. Now on future plays I'm going to picture the cultists in matching white leisure suits and spikey hair harmonizing their chants and dance moves. shake

Anyway, I now see that three trustworthy users interpret the text identically so I'm pretty confident it's right. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.