Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I happened to desperately need an evacuation but I had a hazardous sample in my region instead.

The rules say I can SPEND a die or REROLL it by using a cross in this case... now... since I didn't have dice for a cure, that hazardous sample was useless. What should I do in this case... SPEND it (but can I spend it since I can't use it for a cure?) or REROLL IT (and use a cross)?

I presume that spending a hazardous sample die means you grab it, roll the cure and then roll the HZ die to put it back in the region... so... SPENDING the Hazardous Sample just because I need another result would be a gamey tactic to save 1 cross.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
There's a timing issue. If you are trying to generate an evacuation result to use during Do Actions (step #1 of your turn), you can't do so by spending the hazardous sample since that can only be done during Try to Find a Cure (step #3). See page 7 of the rules. So, what you're proposing is illegal during a single player's turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matty matt
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote from page 7 under Spending Hot Zone Dice : "After completely resolving the effect, roll the Hot Zone die and return it to (your) it's region."
To the right of that is :

Question: Is this "Re-rolling Hot Zone Dice" performed immediately after Hot Zone die are spent and rolled and returned, and ONLY then ? Or , Can the "Re-rolling Hot Zone Dice" rule be done by any player in the future during THEIR "Do Actions" step?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
These are two separate rules. (The rules, except where interrupted by charts and examples, are laid out in two column format.)

You may spend + dice to re-roll Hot Zone dice in the current player's region during the "Do actions" step on future turns, not just the turns that the Hot Zone dice are spent.

Note: You may NOT immediately spend to re-roll a Hazardous Sample die that was spent during the Find a Cure step and then rolled for a new result, as you are not in the "Do Actions" part of your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.