Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I am a hardcore sleever and the more games I buy the more I'm surprised at how many publishers put out games with cards that have sizes that don't fit ANY of the bazillion sleeves available on the market.

Does anyone know what the reasoning behind that is?
I just really want to know if there is a practical reason for this or whether some publishers just enjoy screwing us sleevers lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goeshi
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Outside of the CCG/LCG world I genuinely don't think publishers care about sleeves and instead opt for "quirky" designs to garner interest in their game by making it look more bespoke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reasons? I recall reading this quote on bgg re: the non-standard card size for Tash-Kalar (which really frustrated me as the cards got bent when I tried sleeving them with some of the supposedly compatible sleeves):

Slashdoctor wrote:
I asked Vlaada about the sleeve problem and this was his reply:

Quote:
I am sorry for inconvience. It was no intention, just something we didn't take in account.

We picked best suitable size we thought is "standard", because we used it already (for Space Alert). We needed the cards to be tall, because there are four elements - name, picture, pattern effect - one above each. However, no one realized that when creating Space Alert years ago, we went for card size that was non-standard. There were few people complaining a little back then, but nothing serious, since Space Alert threat cards are never held in hand, just revealed from the deck. And since noone sleeves his cards at our company, noone checked that for Tash-Kalar.

We learn from mistakes. Next time, we will make sure there are suitable sleeves for any cards we produce. We are also trying to get some manufacturer to produce sleeves of our size (both for TK and SA), but we can't promise anything at this moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Reasons? I recall reading this quote on bgg re: the non-standard card size for Tash-Kalar (which really frustrated me as the cards got bent when I tried sleeving them with some of the supposedly compatible sleeves):

"Just something we didn't take in account"....LMAO!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goeshi wrote:
Outside of the CCG/LCG world I genuinely don't think publishers care about sleeves and instead opt for "quirky" designs to garner interest in their game by making it look more bespoke.

I offer Eminent Domain: Microcosm as a counter example - tiny game card game in a tiny box with a piece of corrugated card and some promo cards for other games. If you remove those then sleeved cards fit perfectly.

I haven't yet come across a game I wanted to sleeve but had non-standard cards. Admittedly I don't have that many games and I only sleeve games where cards will get shuffled a lot and/or uneven wear is likely or games where any marks on the cards could ruin the game.

I think any publisher should consider whether the cards fit in sleeves (and ideally whether sleeved card fit in the box) - obviously they can decide to use non-standard cards or a box which won't fit sleeved cards if they think that's the best option but they should really think about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drugo81 wrote:
I just really want to know if there is a practical reason for this or whether some publishers just enjoy screwing us sleevers lol.

Game printing is a very, very, very small part of the printing industry. They have to be able to cut paper into any size the customer wants, so one size is as good as another.

The large sheets of paper they print on come in standard sizes, so I expect it's a matter of, "This game needs 81 cards. How do we get 81 cards on one sheet of paper? Okay, we'll lay them out 9 x 9." If it were 84 cards, they might lay them out 7 x 12, maybe in the other direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.