Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I have been pondering whether or not to buy/make a gaming table. The big drawbacks are obviously cost and space.

I have a family sized dining room table at the moment where we play our games on which is fine as its made of soft wood pine and so dice rolling is fine but trying to pick up cards can be a pain.

I don't rally want to fork out thousands for a custom table nor do I want the aggro of lifting table covers around every time we want to play.

I recently stumbled on Inked Gaming and thought that could be a great solution just to get a play mat that could easily be rolled up and stored.

So the questions I have are:

1. Are play mats any good or are they a pain in the arse i.e. the corners are curling up all the time and they don't lay flat?

2. Are Inked Gaming the place to go if a gaming mat is the answer (I live in the UK)

3. I essentially just need a green baize with a rubber back that can be rolled up easily, doesn't curl up once laid on the table, and makes it easier to pick up cards.

Happy to pay extra for quality mat that fits these requirements.

Cheers
Baz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought 1 from Ultimate Guard and 1 from Inked Gaming. They don't have the "Curl up when laid on table" problem, they roll up easily. Excellent for noise reduction during dice rolling. Have been using the ultimate guard playmat for "outdoors" gaming.

Cards may or may not be easier to pick up. Some of the players still encounter this problem even with the playmat. For me I've never compared the difference but I never had any problem picking up cards off the playmat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike De Groote
Belgium
Heist-op-den-berg
antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started using a playmat when I played Magic.
So yeah basically card and only cards

now when we play a board game and its card heavy we get the playmat out
It makes it much nicer on a tactile level to play like this.
The cards are easier to pick up as you can press down to get your finger nail under them
You can get them in different sizes even ones that cover the whole table (admit it was via a kickstarter)

they are easy to stare (roll them up and stick them in a tube)
And cleaning never gave any problems

So yeah a playmat is a great thing to use
you can even get some with a layout that matches the game you are playing or you can make one at the many custom playmat shop online
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goeshi
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an 80x80cm Ultimate Guard and it lies pretty perfectly flat and is a really really nice surface for card games. I tried a 61x61cm and it felt really small, maybe good for travelling but for home use I'd definitely go bigger. The smaller one also rippled up a tiny bit more, so i think the overall extra size and weight helps keep it smooth.

Can't comment on Inked mats sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shawn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
get a nice piece of felt

i have 4 felt mats that are each 2m x 1m (3ft x 6ft)

i was given one and paid $13 each for the other 3. Fabric stores have an array of colors to suit your needs

these are light, cheap, portable, durable and easy to clean

can't go wrong with a felt mat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Info
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I ended up splashing out on some high quality baize, just a large unhemmed piece. It's really excellent and make playing cards really easy.

My table is 1m x 2m and I bought a piece big enough to overhang by about 15cm on each side. It was fairly expensive, I think I paid £75 about 6-7 years ago, but it's been worth every penny and is still in almost perfect condition.

http://www.hainsworth.co.uk/interiors/interior-fabric/broadc...

I bought the taupe colour, I wanted something light and neutral.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Goeshi wrote:
I have an 80x80cm Ultimate Guard and it lies pretty perfectly flat and is a really really nice surface for card games. I tried a 61x61cm and it felt really small, maybe good for travelling but for home use I'd definitely go bigger. The smaller one also rippled up a tiny bit more, so i think the overall extra size and weight helps keep it smooth.

Can't comment on Inked mats sorry.

I've 2 of this same 80x80 UG mat in plain black and I love them. A single mat is fine for most games but two are needed for some of the more component heavy games.

PROS

> Helps prevent cardboard tiles and cards (especially matte sleeved cards) from slipping about.
> Helps make most game components stand out on the table and makes them less likely to loose.
> Helps provide a much more even surface when playing on tables with ruts and grooves.
> I find that they make picking up cards and tiles much easier.
> Reduces sound from dice rolls and heavy components like Hive tiles.
> Cards seem to have less friction on them when moved around on the mat compared to most tables I've played on and are less likely to get 'snagged' on imperfections, especially wooden tables.

CONS

> It's another thing to lug around to your meet up.
> It's another thing to spend your hard-earned on.
> Pringle crisp crumbs show up like glitter (but can be easily removed with the edge of a sleeved card)

Can't comment on Inked mats and never had a problem on curled corners but I make sure I always roll up the mats playing side out to help prevent this.

Link to the mat I'm talking about:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/131999327735?lpid=122&chn=ps&...

Not sure it comes in green though. They do do a smaller version in green but cannot comment on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a big ProMatz from GameMatz and it is great. Rubberized backing, feltish top. I uploaded a picture on the Scythe page because the colors looked real nice together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Guys

Some really good advice there just what I was looking for

Love the BGG community

Think I will go with something from Inked Gaming or Ultra Pro. They seem to be the main players.

Cheers Everyone and Happy Christmas!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hill
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do people think of speedcloth? I've used it on my game table over a foam mat and I think it works pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Robson
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
Available from www.spielmaterial.de
badge
Got a light, mate?
mbmbmbmbmb
Patriot Games in the UK supply playmats ... they do custom mats if you supply the artwork. I have a couple of mats from them for Dungeons & Dragons Dice Masters: Battle for Faerûn and they are excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Wings of Glory playmats are 68cm x 98cm and show landscape (i.e, are largely green). I've seen them on sale as cheap as $21. They lay perfectly flat the moment you unroll them.

I really like maps, so they're easy on the eye for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My table is 54" x 30" and ideally I was looking for something that will fit this size exactly.

Not seen anything so far that even gets near this...The closest one is from Inked Gaming but that's still only 28" x 14".......Mmmmmm......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Buy two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
The Idealist Counselor - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging (INFJ)
badge
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
mbmbmbmbmb
I got one of these from Amazon for $30 at the time:
https://www.amazon.com/Brybelly-Stick-Rubber-Poker-Layout/dp...

I love it. I don't like the oval ring, but for the price you can't beat it.

Easy to pick up the cards, quiets dice without giving them something too bouncy, and components really pop on the black surface.

Edit: I had a large piece of felt that I used to use that I got from a fabric store, and I didn't like it very much. It did make cards easier to pick up, but the corners of sleeves would constantly snag. Sleeved cards also didn't slide across it for the same reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ran Stu
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Price gone up, of course

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
United Kingdom
Cheadle
flag msg tools
Too many games...
badge
not enough time
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a custom mat from DeepCut Studio.

For the custom mats you can choose the size and artwork. I ended up just going for a plain colour and they will do pretty much any colour you want, you just have to contact them to arrange it. I think I just sent them a hex colour code.

My table is 90x180cm and I believe I had the mat made as 86x176, to ensure it was just slightly smaller than the table. I figured this would stop people catching the edge of the mat with their elbows/forearms thus curling the edges of mat up when in use. Not sure if that's necessary or not, but I thought that was the safest option.

I'm very happy with the mat.

Edit: I forgot to mention that my mat is a "mouse pad style". They do different materials, but that is the one I chose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a felt tablecloth as well. But I am considering to try cork once this one wears out. Besides being a bit more optically 'noisy' I think it might make for a perfect surface as it would not loose fibers as felt does sooner or later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
uffegraa wrote:

For the custom mats you can choose the size and artwork. I ended up just going for a plain colour and they will do pretty much any colour you want, you just have to contact them to arrange it. I think I just sent them a hex colour code.

My table is 90x180cm and I believe I had the mat made as 86x176, to ensure it was just slightly smaller than the table. I figured this would stop people catching the edge of the mat with their elbows/forearms thus curling the edges of mat up when in use. Not sure if that's necessary or not, but I thought that was the safest option.

Edit: I forgot to mention that my mat is a "mouse pad style". They do different materials, but that is the one I chose.

Have just emailed them!

Cheers Uffe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
United Kingdom
Cheadle
flag msg tools
Too many games...
badge
not enough time
mbmbmbmbmb
Bazmondo123 wrote:
uffegraa wrote:

Have just emailed them!

Cheers Uffe

I'm happy with mine. I received it as a Christmas present, so have only had it for a few months, but I think it's great. I got one of the storage bags as well. Not that I tend to take it anywhere with me, but it's a good way to store it when not in use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.