Hide
3 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – Heirs of Númenor» Forums » Rules

Subject: Power of Mordor Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glyn Brown
msg tools
Whilst on stage 1B of The siege of Cair Andros, I drew "The power of mordor" from the encounter deck, while having two of the battlefields in the staging area and 1 in the victory display.
I must shuffle both battlefields into the encounter deck, then draw two encounters.
Question 1:
If I redraw one of the battlefields as one of the two cards (which is what happened) does this still trigger the effect on 1b which reads "IF there are no battleground locations in play, immediately advance to next stage." Initially I thought yes, but then I looked at the most up to date FAQ which said "power of mordor" remove the word "Then". My copy is the updated version which doesn't have the word "then", but I wonder why they would change it unless to make everything happen simultaneously in which case the effect would not trigger as I've got a battleground in play.
Question 2:
Pretty sure I know this one, but regardless of the above, when that battleground is redrawn I'm guessing it's damage returns to zero. Fairly sure on this one, but it just doesn't feel hugely thematic.
Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brownloaf wrote:
Question 1:
If I redraw one of the battlefields as one of the two cards (which is what happened) does this still trigger the effect on 1b which reads "IF there are no battleground locations in play, immediately advance to next stage." Initially I thought yes, but then I looked at the most up to date FAQ which said "power of mordor" remove the word "Then". My copy is the updated version which doesn't have the word "then", but I wonder why they would change it unless to make everything happen simultaneously in which case the effect would not trigger as I've got a battleground in play.

I'm pretty sure that the reason why they removed the word "then" was because of FAQ section 1.15:

FAQ wrote:
(1.15) The word “then”
If a card effect uses the word “then,” then the preceding
effect must resolve successfully for the subsequent
dependent effect to resolve.

If The Power of Mordor's effect used the word "then", then some people might think that the second effect could be prevented by (somehow) preventing the first effect. (Though I'm not sure there are any player card effects that would prevent shuffling staging-area cards into the encounter deck.) But by removing the word "then", it makes it clear that if you somehow manage to prevent encounter cards from being shuffled into the deck, the other half of the effect would happen regardless. I would be very surprised if this had actually come up in any play scenario: I think they were just updating a card to remove potential ambiguities.

As for the other half of your question, there's been a ruling that you resolve effects one sentence at a time; other card effects cannot interrupt in the middle of a sentence, but they can interrupt between two sentences. Therefore, in between the two sentences of The Power of Mordor, the quest effect would probably trigger since at that moment there would be no battleground locations in play. Then you'd resolve the rest of The Power of Mordor, which would bring those battleground locations back into play.

Note that the "remove stage 2/3/4 from the quest deck" effects on those locations have "if able" after them. If you are currently ON that stage because of having accidentally skipped stage 1b, what happens? Are you able to remove it or not? I don't actually know; I'm not sure that this is an effect interaction combo that came up while the game designers were playtesting this scenario; it seems to me that the effect is not desired, and that it's not intended for you to be able to get to stages 2, 3 or 4 before the relevant location is either "defended" (explored) or destroyed. Therefore, in your shoes I would probably house-rule that the quest stage does not advance in between sentences, and therefore you still have the opportunity to defend (or fail to defend) the location that got dealt out.

Quote:
Question 2:
Pretty sure I know this one, but regardless of the above, when that battleground is redrawn I'm guessing it's damage returns to zero. Fairly sure on this one, but it just doesn't feel hugely thematic.

Yes, you're correct. As with any other card, all tokens (damage AND exploration) get removed.

The best way I can come up with to justify this thematically is that the power of Mordor swept over the battlefield, causing not just the human defenders but ALSO the orc attackers to cower in fear and run for their nearest cover: the humans ran for the shelter of the walls, and the orcs ran for their own battle lines. By the time the lieutenants and captains of both armies had gotten things sorted out again and sent their troops back onto the battlefield, all the ground that either side had gained (the damage and progress tokens) was no-man's-land again and would have to be fought for a second time. It was like it was the start of the battle all over again, in that one spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glyn Brown
msg tools
Thanks for the detailed response.
I hadn't heard that one sentence at a time rule, that's really useful to know.
Just after I posted I saw that bit about "then" in the FAQ, and agree it's not likely to cause a confusion in this case.
However, if the removal of the word "then" meant the wording changed from one sentence on the old card to two sentences on the new (I don't know if it did or not!), then it's hugely significant, and confirms that I should move on to the next stage.
AS luck would have it, it was actually the stage 4 location that came back into play, so I advanced to stage 3 and then lost before I could make much more progress. I agree that when you've started stage 2, 3 or 4, it's because you've missed the chance to prevent it, so makes no sense to remove them from play once started.
In general, it feels like it would be a lot simpler if "the power of Mordor" just removed the battlefields in the staging area from the game.
Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.