United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
So, when you see a count like "18 killed by suicide bomber", does that number include the bomber?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think not.

On the other hand: "Suicide bombing: 18 deaths" does include the bomber.

At least, I think so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Smith
United States
Port Arthur
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It should be "18 killed by homicide bomber", and "in a related story a suicide bomber also died."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
It should be "18 killed by homicide bomber", and "in a related story a suicide bomber also died."

No. A homicide bomber is someone who bombs by homicide: for example someone who sent a child with a bomb in to a crowded marketplace and remote-detonated the bomb, killing the child.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:

Quote:

No. A homicide bomber is someone who bombs by homicide: for example someone who sent a child with a bomb in to a crowded marketplace and remote-detonated the bomb, killing the child.

Or drops their bombs without warning from a plane 30,000ft up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Or drops their bombs without warning from a plane 30,000ft up.

Again No. If the bombs misss no one gets killed. You're confusing the homicide bomber with the homicidal bomber. Of course, the homicide bomber is a homicidal bomber. But not all homicidal bombers are homicide bombers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Again No. If the bombs misss no one gets killed. You're confusing the homicide bomber with the homicidal bomber. Of course, the homicide bomber is a homicidal bomber. But not all homicidal bombers are homicide bombers.

Philip, I think you'll go bald from all the hair-splitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Baldness is hereditary in my family, though it has yet to claim me.

Actually its an important distinction. A homicide bomber knowingly sends an innocent victim to their death. An ordinary bomber may merely be bombing military targets (and, although this is pushing things, not actually be causing any deaths, only property damage).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Wait, wait. Isn't "homicide" strictly a noun that refers to an act or at best the victim? Thus "homicide bomber" doesn't make sense in any context? Maybe "homicide-bomber" could refer to the actual kid-strapped-to-a-bomb-sent-in-by-the-homicidal-bomber? This makes "suicide bomber" incorrect, though. Was it originally "suicidal bomber" or "suicide-bomber" when originally coined?

Also, I say that a suicide-bomber does indeed kill himself and is thus included in the headline kill total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Baldness is hereditary in my family, though it has yet to claim me.

Actually its an important distinction. A homicide bomber knowingly sends an innocent victim to their death. An ordinary bomber may merely be bombing military targets (and, although this is pushing things, not actually be causing any deaths, only property damage).

The bomber needn't knowingly kill his victim and the victim needn't be innocent for the act to be homicide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Then it's easy to clam that there are no homicides though: There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps* Koldfoot. But if you take that road, every bomber who intends to kill is a homicide bomber and so 'homicide bomber' becomes tautological. Well, I suppose there are bombers who don't intend to kill and are merely 'criminal damage bombers'...

*Actually, suicide bombers are trying to commit suicide. They beleive that is the way to paradise. However, they usually try to commit homicuide as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
An ordinary bomber may merely be bombing military targets (and, although this is pushing things, not actually be causing any deaths, only property damage).

What a load of shit. 'I might not kill anyone, so it's okay', yeah right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice try, wannabe pedant. A homicide bomber is somebody who bombs the site where a homicide is transpiring. For example, tossing a lit stick of dynamite at a man engaged in the strangling of his wife. This person is also a homicidal bomber, and if another homicide bomber happens to wish to do so, he or she could blow up the first bomber as that person tosses his or her stick of dynamite. A very, very long chain of explosions can be formed in this fashion, and I think it would be neat to see just how many explosions could be concatenated to sound like one doomsday explosion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.