Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Kochis
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Continuing forward the Knight Questor barely gives the Darkoath chieftain any recognition. His pride wounded from previous performance the chieftain slumps along knowing only that his quest would be for naught if he were to slink away from the imposing armored hulk. These two are linked in their adventure with a fragment a piece. Were it not for his honor, the Knight might have ripped the fragment of Chamon off the savage and carried on alone. But no, the trial of Ghyran lies ahead and who knows what new challenges await…

This is my session report for the Ghyran trial. The two trials I had run with this couple were both short. This trial would end up being the longest - nearly 4 hours at the table. What made this trial so long? For starters, I had to explore every chamber to make it to the final chamber. So I took the wrong end of the split in the deck. Fortunately, it split again and I was able to explore both ends before the part of the split where the final chamber was could disappear. Then the final chamber was such a long seesaw battle of back and forth (but more on that later).

So I’ll share only the highlights of this rather than serving up the chambers one at a time:

The first chamber was an incredible challenge for my two straight out of the gate. Four wounds on the KQ and 3 on DC at the end of the 1st adversary phase. I burned the power of both amulet fragments early and with both rolls only get 1 wound healed. It turned out to be successful for my team, but a very tough scrap with Tzanngors.

This would be a trial of firsts for me: I encountered my first lieutenants in this trial (both the Skaven Deathrunner & Ogroid Thaumaturge). The Deathrunner was managed fairly well, but my save rolls were also with me. The Ogroid was a massive pain and nigh-invulnerable. He’d heal most of the wounds that were dealt to him and also clear wounds off of the minions that accompanied him. What makes this sting even more is that I played him wrong and forgot to attack on the turns that healed.

I also received my first companions in this trial. Very cool in that they both came to very good use. It also served as a nice preview of other heroes. As a self-professed alta-holic this is a feature of the game that I hope to encounter more often.

I would also come to learn that I was playing stuns wrong. In short, I was holding onto them for too long and neglecting to clear them when they were supposed to be cleared. Seems like a silly oversight, but also one of the perils of solo-play. I had just gotten accustomed to holding onto the stuns until the end of the following turn.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Perhaps the most notable highlight was using the DC’s mobility to save the day in the final chamber. There were healing fungi towers that the KQ couldn’t negotiate his way to, but the DC with his better agility rolls was able to get to each healing tower and disable both. It required a little bit more strategy than plow in and fight toe-to-toe.

Now the champions were able to walk side by side. The savage had earned respect and the battle brothers pressed further into the labyrinth.

Seriously too long to get through this one trial. The worst part of the extremes is that you cannot plan for it. So I’m afraid to push for 2.5 hour gaming period knowing that it may cascade into a ridiculously long adventure just by random chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Eater
msg tools
Great report! I find that the game times are generally pretty good at around 1.5 hours, but I have begun to house rule that as we get closer to the end of the adventure, certain Unexpected Events can be re-rolled when they are the type of events that will prolong the game too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Kochis
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. That's an interesting house rule to play with. I probably will not add it though, as I feel that I'm already bending the game enough by playing it solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.