Subject: Horde Crone 2-player - doable (or am I doing something wrong)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Bøttger
Denmark
Odense SV
Fyn
flag msg tools
Played two games with two players against the Horde Crone Nemesis, and I'm getting absolutely murdered to the point where I'm thinking I might be doing something wrong (or am just a lot... less good... at boardgames than I thought).

I'm using mages Z'Hana and Kadir, with the "Free Charges! market setup suggested in the manual, but despite careful planning and discard pile management, I'm getting absolutely hammered.

Here is my table after drawing 13 Nemesis cards (so just drawn the first Tier 3 card):

The Free Charges!-market doesn't have any really hard-hitting spells, but even if it did I've got my hands full dealing with Troggs, meaning that I can't deal any meaningful damage to the Horde Crone anyway.

Most Nemesis cards have the Unleash keyword on them, and many Unleash Twice, so I have to fire off two to four spells, of 2+ damage each, per game round (i.e. each turn order card pile) just to keep up - and when the bigger minions start to turn up, it just feels impossible. This game I got the Crone down to 49 life and in my previous attempt I think I did a grand total of 6 damage before I was wiped out...

Any advice or suggestions as to improving my performance? Tailoring a market seems a bit cheap, as I'd think that the suggested markets should be good enough to beat all Nemesis?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
Beating the Horde-Crone with two players is absolutely doable. The first time we played against it (her?), we won pretty easily. We acquired 2 damage spells early in the game (Ignite, I think it was). You really don't need many spells that does more than two damage. Combine that with some deck thinning and you should be able to keep the troggs down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian B
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Helikoputtrik wrote:
Beating the Horde-Crone with two players is absolutely doable. The first time we played against it (her?), we won pretty easily. We acquired 2 damage spells early in the game (Ignite, I think it was). You really don't need many spells that does more than two damage. Combine that with some deck thinning and you should be able to keep the troggs down.

I imagine Ignite would be particularly useful against this Nemesis, as it deals the appropriate amount of damage to handle the Troggs while also fueling your abilities; the abilities are what I would think would be the real kicker for cutting past the ebb and flow of minions and dealing real damage to the nemesis. Kadir, Mist, Reeve, Adelheim, Jian, etc, any of their abilities are going to help jump that hurdle and get a shot in.
A strategy I tried pretty effectively last night against a different Nemesis, but I feel would work pretty well here,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
using Kadir's ability to stack two Lava Tendrils in the same Breach and leave them for a while; deals a couple damage each turn, with 6-8 damage (depending on the breach) standing by for when it's needed most. For more concentrated damage output,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I also used it to fuel Chaos Arc effectively for as much as +8 damage.
This latter tactic would help less against troggs and most against the nemesis itself or the bigger minions such as Underworld Totem or Jagged One, once the Troggs are swept off with Ignite, Lava Tendril, Quelling Blade, etc.

In short, Starting with a Suggested or Random Supply the first time you face a Nemesis is a good idea, especially to get the game to the table faster. But if you get thrashed, don't be too resistant to swapping out a pile or two in the supply for a combo that will gain you the edge on your next game. Some cards or combos just aren't going to add much value against a particular Nemesis, even if they work great for the general case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Wayyne
msg tools
mbmbmb
It's very do-able, pick Malastar or Z'hana, and include (and rush) combustion. They open the +1 spell damage straight away, and having a quick combustion makes quick work of the troggs. My first run-through was with Z'hana, and having her power is quite useful for one of the troggs that damage the gravehold.

The other character is less important once you stabilise, though I find Kadir pretty goood, and synergises well with Z'hana, allowing her to put a big spell and her eternal ember back onto her breaches, I think I won before 2 tier-3 cards came out, but games are getting mixed together.

See how you go with that, let me know if that doesn't work out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.