Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Same dude rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarfs are not Happy
Avatar
mbmbmb
Holy crap I just glanced at my shelves and realized Vlaada also did Codenames. Haha, Mage Knight and Codenames are heaviest rules I have and lightest rules respectively.
5 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for me, add in space alert, galaxy trucker, and dungeon lords...

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con Sequence
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This man is a genius. That's why I am proud wearing a Vlaada microbadge. modest
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum_Jack wrote:
for me, add in space alert, galaxy trucker, and dungeon lords...

Don't forget Bunny Bunny Moose Moose!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
Let's not forget his light little civ-builder Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pugnax555 wrote:
Let's not forget his light little civ-builder Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah Vlaada is probably the best game designer out there.
He can create any kind off Game from light filler over Party to really heavy ones. And they are always something new and always awesomely good.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
Yeah Vlaada is probably the best game designer out there.
He can create any kind off Game from light filler over Party to really heavy ones. And they are always something new and always awesomely good.


I have made this exact argument before. Not all of his games are ones I necessarily like, but I cannot argue that they are good games (for their target audience). For instance, pictomania. I wouldn't care for it, but I would play it 10:1 before pictionary (or just about any other drawing game).

He designs good games. Nothing "run of the mill" even for his own self. Uwe rosenburg may make good games, but many end up feeling similar. Feld the same way. Knizia may be the only other one thats as varied, but none of them feel like they are genre-breaking (or making) like Vlaada's fare.

Not to disrespect these other, or other non-included designers, its just hard to keep up with someone who has 8 in the top 200 (Knizia-4, Rosenburg-9, Feld-7) without them all being the same genre.

I am not a big follower of designers in general. I play, and like, games on an individual basis. But, my tastes do happen to fall into several Chvatil games. (dungeon petz and through the ages will probably eventually end up in my collection)
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum_Jack wrote:


He designs good games. Nothing "run of the mill" even for his own self. Uwe rosenburg may make good games, but many end up feeling similar. Feld the same way. Knizia may be the only other one thats as varied, but none of them feel like they are genre-breaking (or making) like Vlaada's fare.


I think Antoine Bauza propably plays in the same league. He doesn't make any heavy games like mage knight or through the ages but is more family game oriented. But in that area all his games feel very different and individual.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Genre-wise, Vlaada's games are extremely varied, but at the same time they share his trademark characteristic of being cerebral puzzles. This is especially noticeable in Codenames and Bunny Bunny Moose Moose which are very thinky for party games. Also Mage Knight and Dungeon Petz have this "okay, let me think now for a few minutes" thing that I think most other designers wouldn't have put into an adventure game / silly-themed worker placement game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluxx wrote:
Quantum_Jack wrote:


He designs good games. Nothing "run of the mill" even for his own self. Uwe rosenburg may make good games, but many end up feeling similar. Feld the same way. Knizia may be the only other one thats as varied, but none of them feel like they are genre-breaking (or making) like Vlaada's fare.


I think Antoine Bauza propably plays in the same league. He doesn't make any heavy games like mage knight or through the ages but is more family game oriented. But in that area all his games feel very different and individual.

Though Antoine has quite a preference for Asia as his favorite theme
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fielmann wrote:
Genre-wise, Vlaada's games are extremely varied, but at the same time they share his trademark characteristic of being cerebral puzzles. This is especially noticeable in Codenames and Bunny Bunny Moose Moose which are very thinky for party games. Also Mage Knight and Dungeon Petz have this "okay, let me think now for a few minutes" thing that I think most other designers wouldn't have put into an adventure game / silly-themed worker placement game.


also his rules are the best out there, as they always try to teach the game not one for all but mostly tries to only bring you what you need right now and then add more and they are mostly extremely hilarious

He also often looks for some way, that while you have to think a lot sometimes, not only one player has to do something, but others too.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Parker

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't he also Through the Ages?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MysteryMan_007_007 wrote:
Isn't he also Through the Ages?

yes, and this was already mentioned.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.