Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Webb
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
mb
I have a couple of questions about East Africa. I think I know how it should be played, but I would like some clarification.

1) 7.4.1 states that '...units may retreat into any East African area.' I don't understand the emphasis of the 'any', because surely you only ever have one retreat option in East Africa, i.e. back one step along the track. Is the 'any' meant to emphasise that there are no controlled areas (2.1.9), and as such, you never have to worry about retreating into enemy territory?

2) If the BEAEF wins a battle against the spent L-V army, then L-V must retreat and the BEAEF must advance, as normal, right? Now, when I want to refit the BEAEF do I need to be land-supplied to British East Africa? The rules state that I do (8.3.2 and 6.2.2.1), but they also state that the circle areas are never controlled, friendly or otherwise (2.1.9 again). Therefore, if the BEAEF advances to German East Africa are they then cut off and unable to refit because Tanga is not 'friendly-controlled'?

I have been assuming that the BEAEF is always able to refit as long as British East Africa is still friendly, which it always will be unless the BEAEF are pushed off the end of the track.

This is the way that I have been playing, and can't think it would be any other way, but if someone could just confirm this so that I can be done with my rules OCD once and for all, I'd be thrilled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Uhlmann
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
You are correct in your interpretation...

Units simply advance up and down the track - if one unit retreats, the other advances with the goal of pushing the other 'off the end'. The British unit can always refit provided a production point is allocated to them.

The rules wording for all that is a little complicated because we wanted to represent the actual pre-war political situation in East Africa but also didn't want confusion into where the German forces could retreat (since really there are only two German spaces at start). Making all the East Africa spaces the same color and unnamed would have avoided needing some special rules, but also wanted the sense that Vorbeck was operating in different colonies throughout Africa.

Thanks for the question,

Kirk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.