Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Knick Burton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I've been a ghost around BGG for a while now, reading reviews and posts from people so I finally made an account. If ima be reading on the forums and whatnot, why not just sign up and post?

Anyway, for the buisness end. I had an idea yesterday when I was sitting in the breakroom at my workplace, and to my knowledge it has never been done. I wanted to make a simple mech game where players fought each other, but I wanted the mechs to start out equal and get powered up in accordance to how the players wanted and suited thier play style. The more I thought the more I kept wanting to mix two games so to say. Take some play style from monopoly where you move about the board buying property, but change property to certain upgrades for your mech. Pass a pay square and get some cash to drop into your mech. Have the players go around the board so many times to upgrade thier mech and then after the final pass the players put thier mech in the center of the board which is measured out in hex's to measure the mech movement. Now the part of the game begins where the players fight it out using the mechs they just built up.

I know it's still a bit of a rough idea, but I wanted to get some input on it. I've already started on the rules and board design, just wanting some constructive critisism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you checked out the game, Pirate's Cove? You command a pirate ship that travels between 6 islands. Four of the islands you can buy upgrades to various parts of your ship, another island gives you special power cards, and a sixth island lets you drop off treasure for points. If two pirates ever meet at an island they have to fight to see who gets the booty.

I mention it because the problem I see with your design is that it has too much luck around the outside. If I get $150k and you only end up with $50k for upgrades, I can't be happy if I win the final mech battle because I should have won. See what I mean? Introduce some decision making to the "outer ring". Perhaps each of the outer spaces represent a tournament and you can enter your mech in. If no one else joins you, you have a simple quick battle (roll higher than a 6 or something?) to see if you get the prize. But if another player joins you, you have to fight amongst each other for the prize.

Good luck and have fun with the design!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knick Burton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, I realized the luck aspect while writing up the combat rules before checking for posts. Another brick wall to go around, but eh, makes it fun. lol

As for Pirates Cove, I have heard of it and read about it. Looks like a fun game and the way players start and advance through the game is great. Keeping the upgrade as you go along side player combat.

Im working on a new idea for the upgrade aspect, got a few floating around just gotta work with one. Thanks for the input. I prolly shoulda brainstormed more before getting all ansy and posting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Hayter

Metuchen
New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get rid of the roll and move aspect and go for something more like Condottiere. Have players attempt to claim upgrades and then provide a mechanic whereby their opponents can spend some temporary resource like cards or chips to try to keep them from getting it. The individual upgrades might confer discreet bonuses or abilities or negate certain universal limitations experienced by the other players. Think of this as role selection that you have to fight for.

The same game could be rethemed to Fast and Furious-style street racing for pinks if you wanted to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knick Burton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the Idea Jared, and once I get a basic set of rules going it'll be easy to make different variations of the game to suit different genres (like your F&F idea) but for right now I want to get the rules and play on its feet with the mech backround. Not so sure why im so fixed on mechs, just seems like a cool idea and im attached to it. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Cestual
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I've been kicking around a mech game as well. My concept goes with each player having a standard mech, each with 10 action points per turn, that they can customize as they like, but each upgrade has a "mass value" we'll say that deducts from the available action points. Gear upgrades would be on cards.

Example: Dave equips his mech with an Ion Cannon-3MV, Chain Guns-2MV, and Light Armor-1MV. This leaves Dave with 4 action points at the beginning of each of his turns which are used for movement and firing his weapons, which he could supplement with number cards drawn during play...and so on.

I'd probably have depots on the map for repairs and upgrades as well. Maybe as objectives that need to be held for a round before getting the benefits from them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knick Burton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth, I like where you're going with your game but what about keeping Action Points and a Mass value seperate. Say, 4 action points with movement costing like 2APs, Fire Main weapon 2 AP, Fire Lesser Weapon 1 AP, etc.
And with your Mass Value, each addition would as normal, deduct from your total MV meaning the better the upgrade the more costly it is leaving you with less MV to work with. Basically what your MV is now.

Now, to limit certain parts of the mech and strengthen it in other areas so to say. Have all mech start equal as you stated and (if using a hex board, squares, whatever) give them a set movement (like 6 inches, hexs, squares, etc). Now, when heavyier armor is added to the mech it has its normal say -3 MV cost along side with a -2 Move, dropping thier total move, making them slower but more resistant to damage. Have several areas like this Move, Combat, etc. Each stat effects and upgrade effects the mech in different ways.

Just an idea that you might like for your game, but you sound like your on a better foot than me. Im still not even sure about how im going to do my upgrade system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it might worthwhile giving each player 20MB ( Mega Bucks or whatever ) and then auction the Upgrades. Have a deck of upgrades, more than can be used and draw them one at time.

This deck could also auction reloads etc that appear in the arena, not quite sure how that would work...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Baskir
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You might have an outside track that has squares like "Move 2", "Move 3", "Move, then attack", "Repair a part" etc, and the arena on the inside. Roll and move on the outside track allows you to take actions with your Mech on the inside. For more decision making, you could either allow players to move in either direction around the outside track, or could roll more than one die and choose the "best".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knick Burton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Brass, I like that idea. It's different, at least to me. I'll play around with it to see how it goes on the game and get back to you. Im balancing two games right now and put this one as second priority. Working on it when im not messing with the other game im making. Gonna post more on this game later and a new post will be coming about my new game which is almost complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Cestual
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
BalladBlack wrote:
Darth, I like where you're going with your game but what about keeping Action Points and a Mass value seperate. Say, 4 action points with movement costing like 2APs, Fire Main weapon 2 AP, Fire Lesser Weapon 1 AP, etc.
And with your Mass Value, each addition would as normal, deduct from your total MV meaning the better the upgrade the more costly it is leaving you with less MV to work with. Basically what your MV is now.

Now, to limit certain parts of the mech and strengthen it in other areas so to say. Have all mech start equal as you stated and (if using a hex board, squares, whatever) give them a set movement (like 6 inches, hexs, squares, etc). Now, when heavyier armor is added to the mech it has its normal say -3 MV cost along side with a -2 Move, dropping thier total move, making them slower but more resistant to damage. Have several areas like this Move, Combat, etc. Each stat effects and upgrade effects the mech in different ways.

Just an idea that you might like for your game, but you sound like your on a better foot than me. Im still not even sure about how im going to do my upgrade system.

All good points BB. In my concept, there's also a deck of cards to drawn from at the beginning of each turn, with various abilities, temporary buffs(and defects), and number cards that could be used to add to the Action Points for whatever you want to do. Using a "sliding rule" for the Mass Value/Action Points adds to the tactical planning before the game even starts, and the luck of the draw adds some random elements for special manuvers and combat situations. Plus I like simple rules so we can get right into the game. Add more stuff means you do less/move slower-simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knick Burton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth, I don't think it would mean it gives you less to do, movement can be impared yea, but the way you have a deck designed for it sounds nice. Picks the action points back up and keeps the game moving. Sounds fun. Simple games are usually the best in most situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.