Dan Mixer
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Link for the win!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got my copy of AoE III, (yeah!), and on the box it says that it is expandable to 6 players, but I could find nothing in the rules. Also, only 5 colors are present so...

Is there an expansion in the works? ..or special rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check the threads going back. If you preorder you recieved a 6th color and can play 6 people. It's a little crazy for a first game but pretty fun. If you only have 5 I suppose you are limited to a 5 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
Montara
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
This has been discussed in multiple threads in the AoEIII forums.
Basically, if you ordered from any of the Tropical Games affiliates (EagleGames.net) you got a sixth player color. The game can support 6, but as packaged, only comes with 5 colors, and is sold as a 5 player game.
A quick look found this:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1494698#1494698

--mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fassio
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a promotional offer I think that included a sixth color (white) if you pre-ordered the game directly from Tropical Games. I picked up my copy at Kublacon which came with the sixth color and I know that if you ordered your copy through some of the major online vendors such as Thought Hammer they were unable to include the sixth color. If you contact Tropical Games I am sure that you can find out how to acquire the missing player color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
After playing this twice this last weekend, I think that 6 players would be too chaotic, especially since the capital building track only has five slots, the trade goods track only has four slots, and there are only five slots in the settler upgrade track (and the fifth spot is the pay spot). The board does provide for the 6th player, though, in the turn order track and the immigration dock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Gilligan
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
After playing this twice this last weekend, I think that 6 players would be too chaotic, especially since the capital building track only has five slots, the trade goods track only has four slots, and there are only five slots in the settler upgrade track (and the fifth spot is the pay spot). The board does provide for the 6th player, though, in the turn order track and the immigration dock.

My first play of AoE III was a 6 player game. I thought it was great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles A. Davis
United States
Greeneville
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
6 players for my first game. I didn't see any problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
We have very much enjoyed our six-player games.

I believe there's a contractual issue: the sixth colors are promotional only and won't be offered separately until some time has passed -- I'm remembering "six months" but I could be wrong, about the time period or about all of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galactic Doug
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I preordered from Eaglegames.net and received the 6th color which is black. If you go to this thread I think you might be able to get the same deal still.

http://www.coeytech.com/secure/eaglegames/store/index.cfm?pg...

Kieth Blume runs that site and he will surely see this thread at some point also and probably respond.

GD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up my copy at a Local FLGS they sold it as packaged Game plus 6th player (white), it was 70 dollars (+10 for white figures) they would only sell it as this combination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chessduffer wrote:
I picked up my copy at a Local FLGS they sold it as packaged Game plus 6th player (white), it was 70 dollars (+10 for white figures) they would only sell it as this combination.

Ouch...you got taken. You can remove the "F" from FLGS for that store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Easterlin
United States
Saint Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:
chessduffer wrote:

Ouch...you got taken. You can remove the "F" from FLGS for that store.

That price does seem extreme...

I'm not a fan of how this "expansion" has been released. In the end, the only thing accomplished by doing this is to possibly expose one less person to the game that didn't buy it directly from Tropical when then the game was released (when someone says.. "Who wants to play xyz?"). That or the game wasn't intended for 6 as has been alluded to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Blume
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There are two expansion colors available (white and black as people have referenced in the thread). Black is available for free (for 1 more week) to people who order on the Eagle Games website. After the week has passed, the black set will be available for $10. White is available to retailers via FRED Distribution. Regular and limited edition playing sets are/will (white will not be available for 6 months as noted) sell for $10 a set, so I expect the $70 MSRP was based on that information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did the store take it upon themself to charge me the 10 dollars eventhough i really didn't care if i got the xtra figures, or is it some sort of mandatory thing that they sell it as a combo only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is released as a 2-5 player game. This is what is was designed and tested for. When we were nearing production, Keith asked me if I would be willing to give him an exclusive on a sixth color. After we tested the game to see how it worked (and it did), I agreed. I then added extra space on the Colony Dock to accomodate the extra player.

Since the cost to make the game (with components for five players) and the license are 66% of the wholesale price that my publisher partner sells it for (and the accepted norm is 50%), we are making less profit than is normal already.

In the end, the sixth color is available for those who want it. It is definitely an "extra". I realize that some people might think that they are being taken advantage of (the glass looks half empty), but this is not the case.gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Gilligan
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wkusau wrote:
6 players for my first game. I didn't see any problems.

On second thought, I only saw one problem with the 6 player game...Charlie (wkusau) won. It is clearly broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Budley wrote:
The game is released as a 2-5 player game. This is what is was designed and tested for. When we were nearing production, Keith asked me if I would be willing to give him an exclusive on a sixth color. After we tested the game to see how it worked (and it did), I agreed. I then added extra space on the Colony Dock to accomodate the extra player.

Since the cost to make the game (with components for five players) and the license are 66% of the wholesale price that my publisher partner sells it for (and the accepted norm is 50%), we are making less profit than is normal already.

In the end, the sixth color is available for those who want it. It is definitely an "extra". I realize that some people might think that they are being taken advantage of (the glass looks half empty), but this is not the case.gulp

So what if I can get my sneaky hands on both Black & White? Seven Player anyone!!???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mixer
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Link for the win!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sent an email to Eagle Games last week about picking up the 6th color, but no response. Anyone know where you can get it other then Eagle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
My only complaint about this is that somehow I had no idea the 6th player was an "extra"...I played with someone else who had pre-ordered (and thus got the 6th player), and ordered it from a retailer having no idea that I'd only be getting 5 players. I doubt I'll be playing it with 6 often anyway, so I may or may not pick up the 6th player stuff when it becomes generally available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Finch
United Kingdom
Woking
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will the 6th player be available in the UK through local shops?

I just went to order a set and the $10 black miniatures cost was eclipsed by the $15 shipping to the UK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Troymk1
So what if I can get my sneaky hands on both Black & White? Seven Player anyone!!???[/q]

No, really, has anyone tried this? My seventh set of pieces turned up today.
(must... stop... being.... completist....)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.