Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very happy to see a great rating pop up for Sun of York. Is there anyone else playing the DTP edition? I'm hoping to get some movement on GMT's P500 list, so any reviews, ratings, comments, etc will certainly help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm waiting waiting waiting, but the previous print of this game plus no news from GMT or the designer is relegating this to back of the pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bravey
United Kingdom
Stafford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Natus wrote:
I'm waiting waiting waiting, but the previous print of this game plus no news from GMT or the designer is relegating this to back of the pack.

The person asking the question is the designer so I'm guessing its been taken off the back burner. This was my first p500 and I'm waiting impatiently too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
mpnagel wrote:
I'm very happy to see a great rating pop up for Sun of York. Is there anyone else playing the DTP edition? I'm hoping to get some movement on GMT's P500 list, so any reviews, ratings, comments, etc will certainly help!

Nah, still waiting for it. The clouds are lour'd upon our house while we wait
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a game with my brother over Memorial Day. Is there going to be any significant change in the GMT edition? I recently sent a note to GMT asking if they needed playtesters for their edition and they said they would forward the request to you.

My brother and I are very fond of Dixie, so we're pretty experienced with the mechanics. One thing that feels a little odd in Sun of York is the morale rules. If I understand the rules correctly, you either make your morale which causes you to reduce your CV and stay in place, or retreat and not reduce your CV. Because you discard any damage when retreating, it feels like there are times when you'd rather fall back than stay and have your CV reduced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kent,

I did get your query forwarded (GMT is on the ball, as always!), but have been too bogged down to get back to you. That's my bad!

The GMT version of the game will be enhanced through the addition of 20 more cards (since a standard run is 110, double that for SoY). These cards will beef up some of the unit types, add some additional terrain (such as the "battlefield church"), a couple of new leaders and a scenario for the battle of Shrewsbury.

The system is pretty much set in stone, so I don't think additional playtesting will be required. However ... I am considering adding an optional combat system to the game for play of "tiny" engagements that do not involve leaders. The question is whether it goes into the game, or I save it for C3i.

With regards to your question on game mechanics, you have it right. Sometimes it is best to fail a morale check and fall back, as you can reform and move forward again. This mechanic enhances the importance of leadership on the battlefield, as trying to do this without a leader can be very difficult indeed. It also encourages "forward defenses" as you can only fall back so far until the troops decide that the homefires are much more preferable to swords and pikes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. Do you have the option of using or not using a leader bonus so that units are more likely to fall back?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kent,

Interesting thought ... but no for now. Basically, the troop morale is raised by seeing the leader actually leading ... not skulking in a briar patch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, Mike, is there anything you can post here to whet the appetites of the crowd? We had a similar situation with the designer of Manoevre, who posted on here wondering why he wasn't getting any bites on the line. I'm already pre-ordered, but I know some people who can be convinced...cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing the game needs is a record of who has gone in the turn. In Dixie, you simply alternate turns, but in this game, you dice for initiative. We kept forgetting if it was time to roll for initiative again and just alternated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Sullivan
United States
Glen Carbon
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally got to play the game tonight. (It took over a year for me to find the time to cut out the cards.) We need to re-read the rules to see if we were doing everything correctly, but overall we were both very impressed with the game. It was well worth the DTP price, and I'm glad I've got it preordered on the P500.

I'll hold off on a full review until I have a few more games under my belt, but I'm giving it a good rating for now. We liked the components just fine, and I'm sure they'll be even better once it gets the full treatment. (We did substitute poker chips for the counters, and I purchased red and white card holders for the two decks.)

The pace of the game was nice. The first scenario took us three hours to play, but I'm certain that will be cut in half once we can stop running to the rulebook every ten minutes. My Lancastrians got off to a strong start, and I held the center of all three battles at one point. But then, after not having any leaders wounded for the first 90 minutes, I rolled three consecutive 6s and lost all three of my leaders in one turn. It took the Yorkists an hour (about five turns) to roll up my two outside battles after that and take the game.

This game is definitely at the top of my list for trying again soon. In fact we had so much fun that I think that I'm probably going to mark the play area on some green felt for next time just to add a little miniatures feel to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Boyo
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This game looks great. Ordered!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Timothy,

I'm glad you finally got it cut out and onto your table, and even more that you enjoyed the result. I'm looking forward to your review! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.