Popular Tags: dicetower [+] dice [+] diy [+] [View All]
Johannes Haglund
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today a thought struck me. I got lots of old cardboard boxes just laying around. Why not attempt to make a dice tower out of some of them?

Here's what I started with. Turned out I only used two boxes, but more on that later...

Here's the box for the main tower itself. It used to contain a laser printer toner cartridge, and thus had to be cleaned up a bit before anything else was done to it.

Next step was to cut out the hole where the dice would go in. I started at the outer layer...

...and worked my way through the remaining two using the first hole as a guide.

Next step was the exit hole. Hey, it's starting to look like a dice tower now!

To make sure all dice exit the tower, I made the lower deflecting board a very steep angle.

Now to make an upper deflecting board. This is a much gentler slope, why not start the dice off nice and easy, eh?

Looks fairly good so far... But it seems that something is missing...

Yes, some quick testing revealed that the lower board sometimes slid out and made some dice get stuck. Here's how I fixed that little snag.

Final thing to do now is to secure the upper board so it won't bend.

And there you have it! The catcher box is the one whose lid I used for the deflecting boards, so all in all, just two boxes for one tower. The whole thing took about 45 minutes to build. Maybe some day I'll paint it and make it look real pretty, but for now, I've got a thing that works and it didn't cost me a dime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob F
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be looking out for your next post in a week or so with an updated version... Sure is fun making them isn't it? I'm sure the thought of making a "better" one is constantly in your head now. It will be a while before you can suppress it (actually can't be done). The skies the limit as to how to make one.

rob
www.geocities.com/crosstowngames

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the wings the most. They make the tower look much more aerodynamic. A stripe would look sharp!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celso Távora
Qatar
Doha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! Way to go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
I did just about the same thing. I got two narrow label boxes ( I work in a computer room)and some foam from a shipping box and made my own. Since it was the cheap route I pasted a picture of one of my favorite comedians on the tower and named it The Jack Benny Dice Tower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davidson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
sherron wrote:
I did just about the same thing. I got two narrow label boxes ( I work in a computer room)some foam from a shipping box and made my own. I put the image on BGG but am not sure how to find it. It does come in handy if it wares out I may buy one.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/193990

There you go. Just click on your profile > contributions > Game Images Uploaded

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Using a steak knife thumbsup
Though you could have earned extra points had you used your teeth instead
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.