Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The end of the year is always a great time to look back at what was and what could have been. Lots of lists of best games, biggest disappointments, most played, most anticipated. How about the games you wished you'd played more? We all have them, those great games in our library that we just can't get to the table as often as we'd like. What are yours?

1. Blood Rage - I Kickstarted this and absolutely love it, but it's a tough sell at my game group. It's a bit too complex for my son too, so there it sits.

2. La Granja - I absolutely adore this game, but it's so bland looking that folks take one look at it and say no thanks. All those nondescript discs and water color art (which I find beautiful) just doesn't provide much table presence.

3. City of Iron: Second Edition - I'm a die hard Ryan Laukat and Red Raven Games fan and have nearly every one of their games (waiting for the Empires of the Void 2nd Edition Kickstarter in February), but this one was just too much for my group. They love Above and Below and The Ancient World and my son digs Eight-Minute Empire: Legends and Artifacts, Inc., but having the whole deck to choose from can lead to some long games and no one will go for it. That makes for a sad gamer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 2016 Games You Wish You'd Played More
Okay, you don't mean games that came out in 2016, but what in 2016 do you wish you played more?

Top of the list: High Frontier by far.

Additionally: all things Sierra Madre Games or GMT COIN series, Roads & Boats, Dungeon Lords or Dungeon Petz, and Pandemic (last 3 with expansions and due to my wife's love of the games). I think I should also mention 7 Ages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now my big wish is to play games more. After two cross country moves in the past year, I want to settle in to get back to regular weekly gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which game I'd liked to have played more this year? Every game I own that's I've rated 8 or higher; I don't get to play much

To narrow it down to five:
Tigris & Euphrates
The King is Dead
Letters from Whitechapel
Reef Encounter
Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep
Stone Age
Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)
Puerto Rico
Ra: The Dice Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verbosity wrote:
Okay, you don't mean games that came out in 2016, but what in 2016 do you wish you played more?

Sorry, yes, that's what I meant Poorly worded title, I admit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan S
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm right there with you on Blood Rage. Played it for the second time just a couple days ago and realized just how good a game it is. But newbies get crushed by this game, so you really have to play it with a group that has all played it before to get the most out of it.

Others for me are Five Tribes and The Gallerist. Five Tribes is just a bit too difficult to explain to most newcomers, so it hits the table less than I would like. I bring The Gallerist to my gaming meetup just about every week and nobody ever seems to want to play it. I think people think it's harder to grasp than it really is. I think the 4.27 weight rating is misleading. It's not that hard to teach. But the strategy is certainly nuanced and I think people get intimidated by that. I'm sure it will hit the table sooner or later, but that will never be at the frequency I want it played, which is just about every chance I get. I love that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GoingTopShelf wrote:
I'm right there with you on Blood Rage. Played it for the second time just a couple days ago and realized just how good a game it is. But newbies get crushed by this game, so you really have to play it with a group that has all played it before to get the most out of it.

Others for me are Five Tribes and The Gallerist. Five Tribes is just a bit too difficult to explain to most newcomers, so it hits the table less than I would like. I bring The Gallerist to my gaming meetup just about every week and nobody ever seems to want to play it. I think people think it's harder to grasp than it really is. I think the 4.27 weight rating is misleading. It's not that hard to teach. But the strategy is certainly nuanced and I think people get intimidated by that. I'm sure it will hit the table sooner or later, but that will never be at the frequency I want it played, which is just about every chance I get. I love that game.

Oooh I LOVE The Gallerist! I got it late this year and 2016 is officially the year that Vital Lacerda got his hooks into me! I was a day 1 backer for Lisboa and I have my eye on Vinhos Deluxe Edition too. Luckily, I have a friend who's into heavy strategy games and The Gallerist is in our rotation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Glantz
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my 2016 10x5 challenge list was overly ambitious, so two games in particular didn't get played enough.

Pillars of the Earth & World Without End.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror: I bought Forsaken Lore and Strange Remnants and played with both expansions just once

T.I.M.E Stories: I bought all 3 expansions after the base game but I just finished the first one

Hero Realms: My favourite game. Some people still wait for their shipment and I already received my kickstarter copy in Essen at Spiel 2016. I wished my girlfriend would like to play it more often^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
All I want to do when i wake up in the morning is see your eyes. Roseanna, Roseanna. I never thought a girl like you could ever care for me.
badge
Just got back from the down town Palais where the music was so sweet it knocked me right back in the alley, I'm ready. Yea, yea, yea, I'm ready. Wo, Wo, wo, I'm ready, and I'm really gonna rock tonight.
mbmbmbmbmb
As for my games:

Duel of Ages Set 1: Worldspanner
Nations at War: White Star Rising
Iron and Oak
Blue Max
Alert Force
O Zoo le Mio

For games owner by others:

Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dogzard wrote:

FANG is, quite simply, the finest Ameritrash game ever made! Roll, move and kick some ass!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico
Through the Ages
Food Chain Magnate
X-Wing

...can never get enough of those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Ward
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have laid a beating on my game collection in the last year but of course it could always be more.

Some games I wish I'd played more are
The Others
Shadowstar Corsairs
Madeira
Firefly: The Game
StarCraft: The Board Game

Of course a new year begins soon so optimism reigns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T&E. Kind of decided to wait and get plays next year in part so it could go after my best new to me for 2017.

FCM, hopefully a solo play next week and/or some online play will help counter that.

Tikal. Got an app play in, but still wished I played it more. Old school area control has basically been the biggest reveal to me in the past year or so for what I like.

Dominant Species. Just need to finally get it played. I know I will love it.

Steam. This upcoming year really needs to be the year to get it played. I have the app for it. I tried kind of walking through a play of it only to start asking questions. The FAQ covered them, so it is mostly going back and getting everything down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
dogzard wrote:

FANG is, quite simply, the finest Ameritrash game ever made! Roll, move and kick some ass!

Everyone should fight a shark in the Himalayas, just once. And destroy a zeppelin filled with Nazis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of them. This year sucked in terms of gaming time. Please let next year be better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nickel Eye
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love tactical combat miniature games/dungeon crawls, but my insistence on painting them, often needing a larger committed group and requiring a time commitment from the players mean I don't get to play them nearly as much as I would like. So my list would be:

Star Wars: Imperial Assault
Arcadia Quest
Conan
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shadows of the Past

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big City - actually got this one to the table twice in the last last month; those were the only times this year.

Canal Mania

Taj Mahal - probably my favorite game, but no one in our group is all that thrill with it.

Machi Koro - few in our group besides my wife and I like this game because of the randomness, but it is, after all, a game, and we think it's a fine one.

Princes of the Renaissance

Empire Builder and any other in that family of crayon rail games. My favorite in that family is India Rails

Age of Steam

Formula Dé

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got Blood Rage but my friend got Scythe at the same time and he rarely gets or recommends boardgames, so we played that about 6 times while I've gotten to pull out Blood Rage once.

Mechs vs. Minions and Stockpile have not gotten to the table yet despite my best efforts. Soon though, soon...

Galaxy Trucker got to play this with a group that wasn't my main game group and picked it up. Trying to sell my main game group on it has been hard though. Speaking of hard sells:

Star Wars: Rebellion is so overwhelming. It's a fun game but holy crap the learning curve combined with the 2 player count and the 3 hour playtime. I got a tutorial game and half of a regular game in, but then a hiatus happened and we forgot how to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gruff and Epic Card Game practically didn't hit the table since I got them. Mine is a bad region for that kind of game and they can't be played solitaire. Too bad, I would have played them a lot, could they. Now I know why so many people ask if there's a solo mode when they back a game.

I mean, I've playing four games today, while the girlfriend was doing something else and didn't care to join.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Alexander
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been waiting since Oct. 2015 to play Pandemic Legacy: Season 1. And even though I have it in my closet, all ready to go, it looks like that's never going to happen. (Can find a ton of people who want to play, but none of them can commit to it.)

cry

Another game I own, but have not yet had an opportunity to try:

Combat Commander: Europe

Of games I have played this year, but would certainly want to play even more:

Twilight Struggle
Star Wars: Rebellion
Homeland: The Game
Fluxx
Galaxy Defenders
Munchkin
Cosmic Encounter
Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game
Galaxy Trucker
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game
Mechs vs. Minions
Portal: The Uncooperative Cake Acquisition Game
[redacted]
Neuroshima: Convoy

And, even though I've already played it 184 times since the beginning of June: Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men

EDIT: Although, I honestly cannot complain. I've played more games in 2016 than over every year of the past decade, combined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico
La Granja
Nippon
Keyflower
Suburbia

Plus, of course, all of the ones that we did play a lot because we really like them, such as

Kanban: Driver's Edition
The Gallerist
7 Wonders
Shipyard
Stone Age
Agricola
Concordia
Pandemic

OK, I'll stop talking. snore We have games to play! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gallerist is appearing on a number of lists. Such a great game, but the complexity makes it tough to get to the table. Those deep gameplay sessions usually need to be planned out to ensure you get the right group, which can really limit the plays.

Here's to hoping that 2017 sees many a Vital Lacerda game on my table!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Twilight Imperium Third Edition. I've owned it for over a year and I haven't even gotten around to punching out the tiles/pieces yet. I want to play it so bad, but finding enough people to set aside that kind of time on the same day is a challenge, to say the least. Yet, every time I go into my room where the games are stored, it sits on the top of my shelf, looking out over the room, taunting me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.