Subject: The week of May 23rd, 2007 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen Beasley
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Well folks, I guess that I'm a true pro, as in procrastinator. I’ve managed to wait 2 weeks to tell everyone what we did during our 4th week of games for May. But, as procrastination goes, it’s better late than never.

On May 23rd we had a pretty good turn out for our Wednesday Game Night at IHOP. David Haskett and I arrived before anyone else so we started with a game of Ingenious. In this particular game David ended up with a low score of 11 and my lowest score was 9 making David the first winner of the evening.

Before David and I had completed our game of Ingenious Chris Martin & Sarah Donivan arrived and they started a game of Ono99 (just for fun) and Sarah ended up beating the $#!% out of Chris!

By the time that we concluded our games of Ingenious and Ono99 John Allen & Brandon Lewing arrived and the 6 of us put together a 6 player game of Metro. A 6-player game of Metro is very different from a 2 or 3 player game. In a the 2 or 3 player game it is very defensive and in the 6 player game you’ve only got 5 chances to make your points count. In this particular game John, big surprise, was our winner followed in order by David, Brandon, Sarah, myself with Chris bring up the caboose, pun intended.

Well, the end of our Metro game also brought the end of the night for John, David and Brandon. So, Sarah decided to teach Chris and me the game of 31. I believe that we each put up a buck and we played an interesting game that used a regular deck of cards (if you consider Sarah’s pink deck to be regular). As I remember, 31 was a pretty good game. Chris ended up taking all of the cash, I came in 2nd and Sarah brought up the end of our game of 31.

Well Sarah was on a roll so she decided to show us both how to play Phase10 Dice. Phase10 Dice works a lot like Phase10 and I found it pretty fun, Chris on the other hand thought that it was a bit more than fun – he went out later that week and bought the game for his own collection. I finally won a game, scoring 468 to Sarah’s 441 with Chris coming in last with a score of 355. And that ended up our Wednesday Game Night but, doesn’t end up this write up.

I arrived to Barnes & Nobles Bookstore a little too early on Saturday the 26th, I’ll try to time it better this month. But, I got things all set up and then I began to peruse the books in the store when James King arrived with some of his games about 3:20pm. And not too long after that Sarah Donivan and her brother Wynn arrived with some of their games. Right away it was decided that we would play what Sarah called an old game (it was published the year AFTER I graduated from high school, so it must be old, right?) called Challenge Rummy. Challenge Rummy is, of course, a lot like regular rummy only in this game the cards are a little thicker and a little smaller in area. But, just like in rummy your object is to score the least amount of points and run out of cards before anyone else does. We elected to play 3 rounds of Challenge Rummy and I didn’t win and Wynn didn’t win. Sarah of course won with the low score of 12, followed by Wynn with a score of 43, followed by myself with a score of 78 and James ended the challenge with a score of 85.

Next we elected to play a game of Ono99 for fun of course, James doesn’t gamble. In this game I ended up victorious, followed by James, followed by Sarah and it was Ono for Wynn on Ono99.

After that, James pulled out a game that I thoroughly enjoyed called Ruse & Bruise. Ruse & Bruise is a card game that was very well thought out giving everyone the same advantage while allowing everyone to master it’s strategies. Again Ruse & Bruise is a game of low scores and once again I ended up loosing to far better players. Actually as it worked out James, Sarah and Wynn were equally better than I all scoring 18 to my 26 points.

Once we completed our game of Ruse & Bruise we realized that we would not have time to complete another game before Barnes & Nobles closed. So, we elected to end our Saturday Games early around 9:30pm.

All in all I feel like it was a great week for the Ark-La-Tex Gamers Association and I look forward to seeing all of you (and that includes those that are just reading this, that didn’t participate this week) very soon.

Allen “BigAl” Beasley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.