United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've played this a couple times now. Once with 3p and just now two-handed solo trying to improve upon the earlier performance and yowch just getting crushed by this and not able to scale or tweak decks to the scenario. I actually appreciate this because it'll be a fun scenario to revisit when we improve our decks, but not really seeing much of a point in doing the standalone until then. I do think off a sidequest with the sidequest bag and a couple scenarios worth of improvements it might be OK.

What has your experience been like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Grey
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Both of the (thus far released) scenario packs are much harder than the base campaign even on standard difficulty. I mean... just look at the chaos bag distributions. Until we have some better player cards, I'm not sure it's reasonably to play either of the new scenarios on hard mode yet. I think they're just future proofing the scenarios for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about much harder, but they're harder. I played it as the 3rd scenario in a campaign (Zealot 1, Rougarou, Zealot 2, then Carnavale), at which point I'd spent about 10 XP per investigator on cards and was able to use the campaign Standard chaos bag. I still found it difficult, but beatable. (I made a couple of rules mistakes; one in my favor, one against, which might balance out when I play again. We'll see.)

The standalone chaos bag is a little less than +1 harder than the campaign one, at least on standard. Example: you need about +3 to (nearly) guarantee a skill check with the campaign bag, but +4 with the Carnavale standalone. +1 will win about 1/2 of the time with a campaign bag, but it takes +2ish to get that with the standalone bag.

I do have to wonder, though if the designers included the resolution where
Spoiler (click to reveal)
you actually defeat Cnidithqua as a joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Holderman
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt_W wrote:
I don't know about much harder, but they're harder. I played it as the 3rd scenario in a campaign (Zealot 1, Rougarou, Zealot 2, then Carnavale), at which point I'd spent about 10 XP per investigator on cards and was able to use the campaign Standard chaos bag. I still found it difficult, but beatable. (I made a couple of rules mistakes; one in my favor, one against, which might balance out when I play again. We'll see.)

The standalone chaos bag is a little less than +1 harder than the campaign one, at least on standard. Example: you need about +3 to (nearly) guarantee a skill check with the campaign bag, but +4 with the Carnavale standalone. +1 will win about 1/2 of the time with a campaign bag, but it takes +2ish to get that with the standalone bag.

A joke indeed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hay
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt_W wrote:

We defeated Cnidathqua on standard difficulty as a standalone scenario. We were playing 2 player with Roland and Wendy. Roland emptied his .38 Special into it for 6 damage while still on the land. Machete took out a couple of tentacles, then we finished it off with sneak attack and the .45 auto from on the gondola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Just beat it finally after five attempts.

All standalone, solo, double core set.

First three attempts were with Roland and he just kept getting crushed by horror. For whatever its worth, I do think Roland pulled exceptionally badly from the chaos bag (to the point where I actually physically checked how many -6 and elder thing tokens were in the box). Fourth attempt was a Daisy run. This was also a loss, but it was interesting. I felt much more in control of the scenario from an Act perspective, but the encounter deck was just a complete crap shoot for her. She (or her deck) just wasn't able to deal with the awfulness being thrown at her.

So I tried a Skids deck. My reason was simply one card: Elusive. I figured this would be a game changer. Fun fact: I never drew into a single copy! I did however start the game with Pickpocket in hand, immediately equipped. Over the full course of the game, I didn't use it much (the disengage/move ability I mean) and the agility boost came in useful occasionally. Pickpocket's main use was from the two times I did use its disengage/move: versus tentacles that I drew into early. This meant that, as I moved into the final act, there weren't that many Appendages in the encounter deck. I had a nice AGI boost and very few tentacles to worry about and the furious rowing to safety felt more like a self-congratulatory victory lap.

Won, and did so with all three innocents! Yay, etc.

I absolutely think that fortune was on my side during that playthrough. And I think I enjoyed the 'clock' system for connections and how the encounter deck threats played with that. Really strong, 'deep end' start to this scenario, where the other scenarios (Rougarou included) have something of a gradual ramp to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.