Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: KD:M 1.5 KS - help me buy my expansions! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Rogers
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I am a Black Friday Lantern level Kickstarter donor and I have roughly an extra $150 to spend for add-ons. I want to maximize my purchase and get the best expansions for my money. While the pin-ups are cool, I really just want expansions that provides the most/best gameplay and replayability. And thanks to my BGG secret santa, I have the Lion God expansion.

I was currently planning to getting the following:

Kingdom Death: Monster 1.5 which includes all of the rules updates and KS expansions/modifications

The Dragon Knight Expansion

The Flower Knight Expansion

I picked these two expansions because they are highly rated and sold out last time. Are these these the best choices? Is there a better option?

Thanks in advance!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Martyn
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott Rogers wrote:
Hey all,

I am a Black Friday Lantern level Kickstarter donor and I have roughly an extra $150 to spend for add-ons. I want to maximize my purchase and get the best expansions for my money. While the pin-ups are cool, I really just want expansions that provides the most/best gameplay and replayability. And thanks to my BGG secret santa, I have the Lion God expansion.

I was currently planning to getting the following:

Kingdom Death: Monster 1.5 which includes all of the rules updates and KS expansions/modifications

The Dragon Knight Expansion

The Flower Knight Expansion

I picked these two expansions because they are highly rated and sold out last time. Are these these the best choices? Is there a better option?

Thanks in advance!


There's no best option, really, it's very much up to you. My thoughts can be found here - https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1683147/new-kdm-everything-...

Dragon King and Flower Knight are both pretty great to be fair though.

You may want to wait until the KS is nearer to finishing as we have at least two more expansions to come, but a little planning ahead is wise.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you don't have any add ons yet.

I would pick gorm over flower knight, because you will get more out of the expansion.
You only want to fight the flower knight one or two times in your campaign, until you have all the parts you need from him.
The gorm will see more play, and makes you fight less lions.


Still it's not a bad choice to get the FK.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
I would consider getting Sunstalker + Gorm + Dung Beetle Knight.

Sunstalker because I hear that even though Dragon King has a better campaign, Sunstalker is a much better quarry.

Gorm Because you fight the white lion alot, so its nice to have an alternative for him.

Dung Beetle Knight because you get alot of good content for a cheap pricepoint.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italic Font
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tullis wrote:
I would consider getting Sunstalker + Gorm + Dung Beetle Knight.

Sunstalker because I hear that even though Dragon King has a better campaign, Sunstalker is a much better quarry.

Gorm Because you fight the white lion alot, so its nice to have an alternative for him.

Dung Beetle Knight because you get alot of good content for a cheap pricepoint.

DK or Sunstalker are interchangeable depending on if you want the best quarry (SS) in the game or the best campaign (DK).

Gorm and DBK 100% yes <3
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Russell
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Waspman wrote:
TheEremite wrote:

There's no best option, really, it's very much up to you. My thoughts can be found here - https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1683147/new-kdm-everything-...

Dragon King and Flower Knight are both pretty great to be fair though.

You may want to wait until the KS is nearer to finishing as we have at least two more expansions to come, but a little planning ahead is wise.


I agree with this. During the campaign I've been making my own spreadsheet with all the different content, and the prices, in order to best determine what I want to get.


I did the same, will seem slightly sad to some but I rated the models out of 10 and then perceived content (best I could) and divided by the price / discount to give an overall value :snore:
I think the larger models didn't fair so well in my simple formulae.

Top of my list were Dung Beetle, Flower Knight, Gorm and Manhunter but I am not sure I like Gorm and Manhunter that much so may well go for Slenderman which means I am ending up going for models I like rather than anything else. I know Dragon and Gorm is what everyone says to get but the models make me unsure of them.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Russell
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the general discussions will help the OP to decide. Many of us are going through the same thought processes about what to buy as we cant get everything.

And as you say getting everything for the new campaign wont happen here either. My new expansion favourites are Nightmare Ram, Gryphon, Screaming God and Black Knight. I am edging away from new expansions now given they will be over 2 years away and I expect there will be another window eventually to buy some of these. It is probably best to get the existing expansions now and see how we feel in 2 years time, saving up in the meantime, although I suspect prices may rise over time too.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tullis wrote:
I would consider getting Sunstalker + Gorm + Dung Beetle Knight.

Sunstalker because I hear that even though Dragon King has a better campaign, Sunstalker is a much better quarry.

Gorm Because you fight the white lion alot, so its nice to have an alternative for him.

Dung Beetle Knight because you get alot of good content for a cheap pricepoint.


dragon king is a better fight than sunstalker, but the sunstalker has better rewards.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mare Vaporum
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott Rogers wrote:
Hey all,

I am a Black Friday Lantern level Kickstarter donor and I have roughly an extra $150 to spend for add-ons. I want to maximize my purchase and get the best expansions for my money. While the pin-ups are cool, I really just want expansions that provides the most/best gameplay and replayability. And thanks to my BGG secret santa, I have the Lion God expansion.

I was currently planning to getting the following:

Kingdom Death: Monster 1.5 which includes all of the rules updates and KS expansions/modifications

The Dragon Knight Expansion

The Flower Knight Expansion

I picked these two expansions because they are highly rated and sold out last time. Are these these the best choices? Is there a better option?

Thanks in advance!


Yet another post asking the exact same thing with quite literally the same responses. Will anyone ever learn to search or just scroll down?

With that snarky bullshit comment aside...

I think the majority of people asking this have the wrong impression about a lot of things in this game and I fault that only to the throngs of KS people getting all hyped up with ridiculously unfounded opinions on things.

I have been playing the base game for a good year now almost every week. I have all the expansions. I have yet to beat the game with any group or solo. I think this cannot be stressed enough. The base game has so much content, that you really don't need to worry about expansions at the moment. My group is currently playing a campaign with all the knights, Gorm, Spidiculous, Slenderman, Manhunter, and green knight armor. It's overkill! There are still expansions we have yet to try, even though they were in past campaigns, due to the fact that the game is brutal. VERY brutal. Why people think DBK and Dragon King are the defacto expansions to get are beyond me, as you will likely not get to the DBK for a long long time and the Dragon King is a completely different campaign (unless you are only getting it for the dragon to hunt). If you must get an expansion or two, shoot for the low level ones. Shoot for ones that you will actually get to play more than once. But know this: they are ALL amazing to play! Honestly. Each one is so different and adds such ingenious mechanics to each battle. Some come down to preference and what you may want out of it. For instance: Flower Knight. Not sure what all the hype is about. It's a great fight, sure, and a lot of fun. However, we fought him once, beat him, got the things we wanted from him, and never fought him again. Somewhat of a waste, other than the bow. Or Lonely Tree, everyone seems to hate it, but it's one of my favorites because I absolutely loathe whenever it shows up in a fight. I could go on and on about all of them.

Now, my recommendations before this is truly a bullshit response. Definitely Gorm. You will be replaying this game so many times without winning it. Hell, you will probably only see half the content of the core game! If you are strapped for cash, you want to get early game content. Spidiculous is another fun one. People are pissy about it because the model is so big and a touch fiddly on the board. Poor you! It's amazing! I'm a big fan of Manhunter and Slenderman. They are both brutal and show up earlier than most others. Lion Knight is pretty fun, but a lot different. I would say don't even bother with Dragon King or Sunstalker or Lion God or any of the late game content or alternate campaigns just yet. Honestly, if you don't have a lot of money laying about, you would be better off putting it all towards sleeves for the cards, good tools for putting the models together (this cannot be stressed enough), an extra rulebook, and maybe Gorm.

Let me get off my old man soap box now. Just know whatever you pick will be unbelievably interesting, but you wont see the majority of them for a long long time.
20 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Russell
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice post Mare - and honestly helpful.

Originally I wanted Spidicules but so many posts largely say stay away that I crossed it off. Of the earlier expansion enemies I like this one the most in theme. Yeah I know Gorm is the one to get for variety but still the model puts me off - I may give in but probably not. So i largely decided to go with the Knights as a set, I could stop myself buying too many other monsters by getting a set (its a strange mentality but may work for me).

You advice is sound, I pretty much agree I am more likely to replay early levels over and over than get to the end of a long campaign. I will take your advice and maybe reset closer to the early ones, but I will still myself get Flower and Beetle Knight as I love those. Probably add Slenderman and the Black Knight and then choose between Gorm, Spidicules or Frogdog....

Tomorrow I will probably change my mind !
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rogers
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great advice from everyone and I especially appreciate that you posted even though there are many other similar posts out there ("This is my post. There are many like it but this one is mine")

A few extra-bits that pass as thoughts:

I adore the Black Knight sculpt but I think I will have to wait probably another 2 years to get it.

I don't care for the Sunstalker sculpt and that is keeping me for getting it over the Dragon King.

I have long considered the Gorm as so many have said it is a great substitute for the White Lion. I hope Poots makes another early year monster in the future.

So now my list is:
Dragon King
Gorm
Flower Knight
Dung Beetle Knight
Black Knight

This didnt get any easier - especially on a limited budget.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Russell
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott Rogers wrote:

So now my list is:
Dragon King
Gorm
Flower Knight
Dung Beetle Knight
Black Knight


From everything I have read on the many threads - this is a pretty well spread out set from the early Gorm to the later Dung Beetle and a large alternative Dragon expansion thrown in. I would say it seems like a sound bet, you could even drop the Black Knight now and wait a couple of years to pick that up when its released if you wanted. Deciding all this is fun too while it lasts - until the credit card is billed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
Avatar
mbmbmb
Scott Rogers wrote:
I have long considered the Gorm as so many have said it is a great substitute for the White Lion. I hope Poots makes another early year monster in the future.

Frogdog is in the future...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No one has really talked about it but how do people feel about the Death Armor expansion? Its only $20 and looks to add a whole lot more than the Green Knight. I'm kind of thinking of snagging it. Anyone have an opinion on Death Armor?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Sloth might be my spirit animal
badge
Ok, ok, NOW I get it!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's roughly the same stuff, although you must have something more to justify the price (retail for green knight is 25$).

Anyway, nice sidequests. Adam says it will be worth to use up all your bones in it, let's say we will see...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Martyn
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Epidemius wrote:
No one has really talked about it but how do people feel about the Death Armor expansion? Its only $20 and looks to add a whole lot more than the Green Knight. I'm kind of thinking of snagging it. Anyone have an opinion on Death Armor?


I've talked about it in the big newbie thread; it's probably a better buy than the Green Knight for sure, as it adds more gear, a location and possibly narrative bits, but we don't know which (if any) expansions are needed to craft it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
Avatar
Epidemius wrote:
No one has really talked about it but how do people feel about the Death Armor expansion? Its only $20 and looks to add a whole lot more than the Green Knight. I'm kind of thinking of snagging it. Anyone have an opinion on Death Armor?
In my opinion, if it doesn't end up requiring specific expansions to work like Poots is leaning towards, then it's one of the most promising of the new expansions. Like, it has a ton of new endgame gear to craft. New weapons of almost every type on top of a new set of Lantern-equivalent (or better) armor.

Obviously it comes down to implementation, but if done right it could be one of those things that is worth including in every campaign you play in because it could well be a nice, solid, low on impact but high on value improvement to the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rogers
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well crud. This isn't getting any easier. I must have changed my pledge a half-dozen times but I am sticking to an "under 400 with shipping" budget. Even this feels like too much but I fear that I won't be able to get many of these expansions again.

Here's my current choices:

Core 1.5 set
Dung Beetle
Flower Knight
Black Knight
Screaming God

I decided to back out of the Dragon King because even though I hear it is the best expansion, I would rather concentrate on dome earlier game characters and I fear the DK model is just too big for my storage situation.
Plus I really love the BK and Screaming God models.

Your thoughts are always appreciated!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B.
msg tools
This is the hardest Kickstarter I ever did. Everything is so much more expensive than any other game and everything is so appealing. From the old expansions I really like:

Dragon King
Gorm
Flower Knight
Dung Beetle Knight
Sunstalker

From the new expansions I basically like every single one, but most of all:

Gryphon
Oblivion Mosquito
Nightmare Ram
First Hero
Frogdog

And then there is the Gamblers Chest. I don't need narrative sculpts - but they each come with a couple of gameplay cards. Plus there are the new game systems and at least one Nemesis (which I probably wouldnt buy as a standalone expansion). Now for any other game I wouldn't get this for 100$ - but for this?

Now all this with the base game and shipping would probably be over 1000$. No way I am paying this much. But how much am I willing to pay? And do I care about shipping waves for extra shipping costs? Questions over questions, and I probably will decide in the last ten minutes of this campaign.

I am still pretty sure, that we will be able to add funds for expansions later in the pledge manager, so maybe I just get old expansions for now...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rogers
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep going back and forth on the Gorm.

I hear what a great early game monster it is and how "you are going to get sick of fighting White Lions over and over again" but I can't say I'm that fond of the model (unless it is painted well like this - which I may or may not be able to do:



I don't know much about it as I don't want to spoil the gameplay if I do end up getting it.

I think Likemike summed it up best:

Likemike wrote:
This is the hardest Kickstarter I ever did. Everything is so much more expensive than any other game and everything is so appealing.


I fully expect to change my pledge value at least two more times in the next two days.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.