Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: convention [+] [View All]
Jason L.
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Hello all,

This is my first post at BGG and my first attempt to GM for a upcoming convention. I hope to GM Descent: JitD, the game is very fiddly with many miniatures and chits.

I have no doubts that everyone I will meet at the convention will be friendly and most likely I'll have a blast, but I'm worried about losing pieces to my set as times go on. I've put a lot of work into this game (painting pieces, building deck holders, etc.) and it would really suck to lose a couple of pieces playing at the convention.

Has anyone ever had any trouble like this when they ran their own games at conventions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
goest wrote:
I'm worried about losing pieces to my set as time goes on.

Has anyone ever had any trouble like this when they ran their own games at conventions?

I run a convention ((www.fallcon.com) shameless plug) and we are in our 20th year. All of our games are supplied by either the Moderator, Participants or the Organizers. I can say with full confidence that very rarely has anybody ever had a problem with theft or damage to a game at one of our conventions.

I have also painted my Descent:JitD minis and put work into other aspects of the game system. I used it last year without a problem and will be using it again this year. Worrying is kinda natural, but I would bet you have no problems at all.

You are correct...you will probably have a blast. Let us know after the convention how you made out!

Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Sauer III
United States
Circleville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
that very rarely has anybody ever had a problem with theft or damage to a game at one of our conventions.

Not rare when it happens to you !!!

I have convention copies and home copies of games ...

Sorry ... You will lose pieces, have pieces broken ... stolen ...

IF you plan on doing this for the long haul ...

buy a backup copy ... Have two sets - one just for pieces

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Perry
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Ex-Term-In-Ate
mbmbmbmbmb
99.5% of the people you'll game with will treat your game with the respect that they would have for their own. It's that .5% you'll have to worry about.

My main point of advice:

Don't take anything that you cannot stand to have broken, stolen, or lost. Odds are good that nothing will happen, but there is a chance that it might.

My second point of advice:

Have fun.

Finally, I agree with the poster above, have a second copy of the game you take to cons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wessels
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I was saw a game of TI-3 getting started and one of the players was eating a chocolate ice-cream cone. Glad that wasn't my game.

Cheetos, anything that drips or is sticky, do not come near my games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Ironhat
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had pieces lost/stolen and it will happen again probably. I have found pieces to games on the floor more often than finding my own there, but I have found my own pieces on the floor too.

I have found pieces to my games on the floor in my house after thinking I had put it all away. I have found pieces of other peoples' games on the floor of my house as well. Yes, those were returned.

I was dismayed to find these things because it so clearly showed that it could happen to me. I thought I was very careful and could never lose anything.

You can't do much about theft. You can ask people to be careful to deal with breakage, but those that will be careful will be careful even if you do not ask.

To avoid losing things, try using a very large table to play on, if possible a white table cloth as well. And (I have never done this), but a white sheet under the table (on the floor) would make it easier to spot things that fall. This would be difficult to do at a con. A large table is a lot easier to request. I have found that when players do not have there peices near the edge of that table, it is a lot less likely that things will fall on the floor.

I always scan the floor thoroughly under the table each time I clean up one of my games. I find a lot of stuff that way too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

You could try threats. May not be legal, but if done properly, your game will be in as good a shape as when the event started....maybe better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Perry
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Ex-Term-In-Ate
mbmbmbmbmb
pwn3d wrote:
fastfingers wrote:

Cheetos, anything that drips or is sticky, do not come near my games.

I had a guy claim he was going strangle me if I dumped my pop on his game. Which I thought was extreme. My standing rule with my own games is I prefer closed containers and certainly no cheetos or greasy foods such as pizza or KFC. But if a drink gets dumped on it, immediately the retail value of the game will be collected.

Most cons have rules against food and drinks on the boardgaming and miniatures gaming tables. Those that don't should have them. And I specifically have my own rules about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.