Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Krzysiek
Poland
Chorzów
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I am new to Xenoshyft, only having played Onslaught once in my life, before committing to purchase Dreadmire via Kickstarter.

I have just watched the video review by Sam Healy and something made me wonder. In his [geekurl=https://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/109912/xenoshyft-dreadmire/xenoshyft-dreadmire-review-sam-healey]review video[/geekurl], at 9:10 mark, Sam says that he can prevent a Ranger card from being killed thanks to the ability of the MK III Vulcan Gatling gun. The ability on the card reads:

Quote:
once per round, prevent all damage to all other troops in this lane by an enemy ability

Now, my understanding of abilities in this game is that the ability is an effect, such as reveal, or weather-activated ability. But is attacking considered an ability ? In my opinion, based on my understanding of the rules booklet, attacking as such is an action performed by both sides, rather than an ability. In this case, the Gatling gun should not work and it's ability text should not negate the damage done to the ranger as show in the video.

I am curious of your thoughts, as perhaps I am misunderstanding how the game works and would like to know. The power/ability of the Gatling gun can raise chances of surviving in the early stages of the game.

Kind regards,

- K.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Brause
Germany
Duisburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I also only plaed it once, but a similar situation came up.
I´d say: Attacking is not an ability.
So the gatling gun can not prevent damage by attacks.
But if a monster has the card text: "when it dies, it deals damage to x troops" this would work with the gatling gun...
But I´m not a rules expert (yet)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Zahn
msg tools
mbmb
I believe the effect shouldn't be able to block damage arising from combat.

Similarly, the ability of Heroic Militia 'Private Gator Lacroix' should apply the same rule as well:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/xenoshyft...

- sidetrack -

I had a similar confusion about about the term "attacked" back in XS-OS for the card "Swarm Caller".

Apparently, the official FAQ stated that attacked refer to damage from combat only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Shinall
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook, Pg. 8: "Ability Box" defines what a card's Ability is.

Damage from Combat is not damage from an Ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Holweck
msg tools
I've also got a question regarding the Vulcan. Does it work vs the Death Harvester reveal ability (which doesn't cause damage but burns the first troop altogether)? I ruled that it doesn't in the solo game I played yesterday (as there is no mention of 'damage' in the boss ability), and this turned out being pretty significant as I lost the game when the very last alien destroyed my base and would have won otherwise.

That said, great game, very tense (if a bit on the longish side). Thanks, Michael. Shame there aren't any dividers in the box, though--those would be very useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Shinall
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple things there:

1. No, it couldn't save a Troop, as Burning the Troop is not dealing Damage.

2. More importantly, is this line of text on the Death Harvester:

"ITEMS AND ABILITIES MAY NOT BE
USED IN REACTION TO THIS REVEAL."

So you couldn't have used it even if it could have prevented the Burn Effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Holweck
msg tools
Many thanks for the super-fast answer, Michael!

1. Yep, this is how I understood it, thanks for the confirmation.

2. Oh dear, how did I miss that one? :embarrassed:

Okay, let's go kill some more broody aliens, then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Ulaidh
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
What about when an ability such as the marsh crusher's damage exceeding a first troop spills over onto a second troop or the bloodseeker in monsoon damaging the first two troops when it attacks, they would not damage the second troop except for the ability, so can that part be prevented?
Similarly what about abilities that increase power (moss rampager) or damage (poison host) can that part of the damage be prevented

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archie Baker
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone. This is still unclear for me and maybe for others. How actualy works the MK III Vulcan Gatling gun and Private Gator Lacroix? Can I prevent damage, using by Gator or Vulcan? I mean follows:
- If (as Ian asked) an enemy deals exceeding damage to the second troop?
- When an enemy attacks the first and the second troop in lane?
- When an enemy attacks the last troop in lane?
- when an enemy deals its damage before troops attack (ex. Marsh Flayer)?

Best regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.