5 Posts

XenoShyft: Dreadmire» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Wave 1 Troop: Ranger VS Research Officer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ethan Zahn
msg tools
mbmb
I understand that the Research Officer discounts Items, making him a valuable choice for the Instant heavy Divisions such as Science Lab or Med Bay.

Given that we can only select 1 other Wave 1 troop (aside from militia),
in a multiplayer setting where there are other divisions that are not 'Instant heavy', selecting the Research Officer does prove to be disadvantageous.

Do you randomize the selection of all troops in your play? What are the strategies to use him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Shinall
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually for me, while his discount is nice for "Instant Heavy" Divisions, I usually buy him when I get any Weapon card added to my deck (say, if I'm playing Weapon Research). Namely because the Rangers really don't need any additional offensive power, but his 4 HP does a long way with nearly any weapon added.

Side Note, from this post and your other one: When you're setting up, you select 2 Available Wave 1 Troops to Purchase- Militia can never be purchased and are never available (and are not even a Wave 1 Troop, actually), meaning in every game you play you will have access to both Ranger and Research Officer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe B
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I agree with Michael, at first glance the research officer might seem kinda weak, but that four health paired with a weapon item makes him a strong asset early on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Zahn
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the quick tip!

I guess I wasn't aware of the setup for both ranger and research officer to be made available for purchase in wave 1. I played alot of games on the ipad app and it showed militia next to the ranger on the purchasing board.

This is my first time having both Onslaught and Dreadmire actual set.

Thanks Michael!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that it depends on the items you have. With a Ranger, you would likely want defensive items. With the Research Officer, you would likely want offensive items. My last game, I played solo and only went with the Ranger. The reason is that I had to just focus on the troop and the items that went well with the troop. It's better to focus on the proper combo rather than split your deck. If you draw rangers and offensive items, they would likely be overkill and your ranger will die even against a weaker enemy. Likewise, a Research Officer with a defensive item is probably not that good either as it wouldn't be able to kill an enemy and then survive enough to do much damage to the next enemy in the line. I recommend you pick the combo of troop and items that work best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.