Chris Dorrell
England
Darwen
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Has anyone played this enough to get a feel for what constitutes a good score?

I just played once and scored over 30,000!! which seems incredibly high but given the levels of booty on the player mat and the final score formula it's probably pretty poor.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scores do vary widely, but I've never scored that high. Most games I have rather low scores, in the low triple digits (that is, if I survive the opening).

Clark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dorrell
England
Darwen
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if the designer doesn't score that high I must be doing something wrong surely?

I'll have to read the rules again and try again.

My first game score was computed as:-

Ship:4 times Crew:8 = 32
Plus
Buried Booty:80 times Ship Booty:48 times Notoriety:9 = 34,560
Plus
Turns:20 gives a total of 34,612

is that computed correctly?

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Dorrell wrote:
Well if the designer doesn't score that high I must be doing something wrong surely?

I'll have to read the rules again and try again.

My first game score was computed as:-

Ship:4 times Crew:8 = 32
Plus
Buried Booty:80 times Ship Booty:48 times Notoriety:9 = 34,560
Plus
Turns:20 gives a total of 34,612

is that computed correctly?

Chris
This looks correct! The biggest contributors are booty and notoriety (as they should be), and you did an outstanding job.

The reason most people (myself included) score relatively low is for failing to bury a bit for the future, and then keep adding to the cache. You obviously found out how important it is to do so. Good job!

Clark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dorrell
England
Darwen
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clark,

Thanks for checking my scoring. Yes I latched on to the need to bury booty but also to have a load on board as well. I buried the booty in a right angle formed by two tiles so that I could gain access to the spot from two sea spaces.

I discovered the mistake I was making in my first game! I was only triggering a new ship when discovering (turning over) a new tile. blush

What I should have been doing is checking for a ship every time I entered an unoccupied tile! It wouldn't have made a massive difference I don't think, as I didn't back track except to store the second batch of booty. The location I chose (see above) meant that I only entered one face up unoccupied tile and that was an Ace so low probability of a ship appearing. Nevertheless I did "cheat" so I'll see what my score is when I play properly.

Regards
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Dorrell wrote:
I discovered the mistake I was making in my first game! I was only triggering a new ship when discovering (turning over) a new tile.

Yet you got a notoriety of nine, which means you won at least nine more battles than you lost. This is a really good record, especially since once you get that much notoriety, you'd better have a strong ship and a good crew, because your notoriety counts for the other guys (like their crew).

Anyway, the purpose for the existing mechanic (drawing ships on unoccupied tiles rather than only previously undiscovered tiles) is that it gets more ships in the game. If you had to keep discovering new parts of the sea to find target ships, then you would soon have to sail further and further to find targets. This would lead to long treks back to your buried chest, and both of those would eat up your turns quickly without much action. I also wanted to keep the game under an hour in length, but to fill that time with as much action as possible, even if a relatively small part of the sea was ever sailed.

I hope you enjoy PPP.

Clark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dorrell
England
Darwen
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, my accidental variant did mean I had to push on into uncharted territory to keep finding ships. What helped was that my sea layout was basically two connected loops so I could get back to my buried treasure without retracing my steps.

The variable layout is one of many factors that makes PPP interesting. I think it's a well thought out design and makes for an enjoyable solitaire game. Well done.

Regards
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.