Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Spode
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still learning the game. After reading about the Cloven Hoves I assumed that I should get rid of them right away but I was just playing the Berserker with everything stacked in Fame and noteriety. I got the cloven hove and sold it but now I am wondering if I should have held onto it especially since (?the item that lets you roll one die on the loot table?) was available from the soldiers. Does anyone ever keep them dispite the +1 to rolls?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure it's worth keeping. I'll often cache it and come back for it later to use it in my end game score total. If it's the only item in the cache it's pretty hard for someone else to take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
A witch that has used absorb essence on a demon will not be able to get a 1 in 'power of the pit', so in such a situation the +1 is more of a plus than a minus.

Without caching rules, it's very rare for it to be kept though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Spode
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is caching? I thought he meant to abandon it in a clearing then come back and search/loot for it as normal with the Deft Glove (I think that is the item i mentioned in my first post).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Becker
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Part savage, part savant, with a dash of satanic seasoning
mbmbmbmb
From page 74 of the 3rd Edition rules.
4. CACHING (The Optional Cache Activity).
4.1 "Any character can use the Cache activity to store belongings in a clearing while he moves on; in effect, he creates a private treasure site that only he knows about."

With a +1 on Hides and Searches, it's hard to justify lugging the Cloven Hoof around for most of the game. But 40 Notoriety points and a Great Treasure are a nice prize for the end game scoring, assuming you can take the -20 Fame hit.

Jorge is right that sometime a +1 is not a bad thing. I can see the Magician possibly keeping it for a while. He could use the Black magic and his Type V chit to enchant a tile. If his plan is to cast Transform on monsters, the +1 makes it a lot more likely he'll get a benign Frog.

When using the Optional Combat rules, the Cloven Hoof makes characters less effective in combat. If the other characters are planning a massacre of the Rogues, abandoning the Cloven Hoof at the Inn may put a damper on their plans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McKnight
United States
Needham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrb88 wrote:

Jorge is right that sometime a +1 is not a bad thing. I can see the Magician possibly keeping it for a while. He could use the Black magic and his Type V chit to enchant a tile. If his plan is to cast Transform on monsters, the +1 makes it a lot more likely he'll get a benign Frog.

...or the Pilgrim casting Small Blessing, hoping for a 6 ("Wish for Strength") on the Wish Table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gould
msg tools
I never keep the Cloven Hoof if I can avoid it. And I always forget about Caching, so if I need the Noto boost at the end of the game I'm stuffed. The problem is that it affects all rolls in the clearing, so if you're in the middle of Looting, you have to move away, then get rid of it, then come back. A real pain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.