Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So now I understand "new" solo rules are coming. So please take the following with a grain of salt... (cross posed from the December SGOYT list)

And away we go...

Got the PnP files for this, and it took a bit to get them together. I didn't do the best job on the files, but they only have to last a few months until my KS arrives.

So, here's what a 3 person set up now looks like:

As you might note, the PnP does NOT come with the new ships or the scoring bits. So I made some ships out of nanoBlock. I didn't have enough red, so I used white. In hindsight, not a good choice. I dispensed with the scoring tokens knowing I was only going to play part of the game.

First takeaway: This require more space. Each player now has another board to keep up with. And there's the whole new line of pilots and the "beyond" part as well. (Sorry, saw Star Trek Beyond tonight...)

No rogue galaxies, I just played three players. Here's the set up after two turns:

By now, each player has bought a pilot/advanced ship. My limited space is now VERY crowded. The red player has gone exploring. So plan on having this game take up more space. On your table...

(As an aside, the card in the upper left of the picture is in the PnP, but isn't mentioned anywhere else. Not sure what it is for. My guess is that it's a reminder of combining two dice to alter a third...)

And now, two more turns later:

More exploring has happened. Yes, red has sent two ships to go exploring. That's mostly on me as I confused myself over who had the white ships. But the rules do allow for multiple ships to be out exploring. You can also see that yellow has three pilots/advanced ships out and about. Again, more things to check up on during the game.

Second takeaway: This will make the game longer.

And finally, when I called it quits for the evening:

This was the end of turn eight, I think. Only one planet had been "conquered" at this time, but the exploring can give you victory points. The game would have gone on quite a bit longer and gotten hard to manage for one person. I'll play a few more turns (off-screen) and see about a session report. Next time, I'll just play two players. With just black and yellow.

Some PnP ships would have been handy to have. Not really sure why those weren't in the package...

Here's the sum:
thumbsup More content. There's new planets to explore, and new rogue galaxies to battle.
thumbsup New ways to play. You can mix & match the pilots/advanced ships with the exploration. You don't have to have both.
thumbsdown (maybe) No way to work the new material in with the old rogue galaxies. Need to check on the new rogue galaxies some more.

Worthwhile? Yes if you are TEG fan. If you really only do TEG solo, you can probably pass on the expansion.*

*Of course, pending the new solo rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.