Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jared Sechrist
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
reading through the cards i have questions regarding two of them

1.suprise assult: Immediately before your oppenent takes and action, you may discard this card to take one action

2.major offensive: You may take up to 4 additional actions during this turn.

I went on the ffg website because they previewed these cards...they describe suprise assult as "it can allow a commander who has lost the initiative to seize it again, if only for an instant."

they then go on to describe major offensive as "Major Offensive has a similar effect – free activations – but a very different utility."

im assuming that you must have an unfatigued squad for supprise assult and then the squad is fatigued after taking that action.

for major offensive they stated that you get "free activations"(which i would think are different then actions...as it is printed on the card) for when you use this card.....do you
1:have to pick a unfatigued squad for the free action..if its four free actions i would assume that you would have to be able to pick fatigued squads or else they would not be "additional"
2:fatigue a used squad after you give it one of these free actions
3:if you dont fatigue a squad after using of of your 4 free actions,
can you use that same squad for all 4 of the actions

i think the fact that they added the word additional to the card is what is confusing me as well as if there is a difference between actions and activation....anyway thanks to anyone who has some input on this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Aquino
United States
Circleville
Ohio
flag msg tools
I think by "additional" they just mean that you get 4 extra actions for your turn..

they don't say anything else about being able to use fatigued units or using all the additional actions on a single squad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard R.
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
I'm pretty sure the word "additional" means in addition to your (usually) normal 3 actions per player.

You don't get to 'activate' units that have already been used, you just get 4 more actions ON TOP of your 3 normal actions.

example: I'm germans, I advance with 1 unit, concentrate fire with another, both are fatigued and I've spent 2 actions so far. I spend my 3rd action to play the 'Major Offensive' card.. which gives me 4 MORE actions to use right now... instead of letting the other player do his actions.
I spend the additional 4 actions to Advance another 4 unfatigued units in the back, then declare im done with my actions turn and hand it over to the americans for his 3 actions.

I'm pretty sure thats how it works.. Mike or somebody else please chime in if I'm wrong, as I haven't gotten my game yet ;]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
MENTE, MANU ET INSTRUMENTUM
mbmbmbmbmb
Jared;

We'll probably need Mike to chime in on this but this is how I read it.

First off, an activation and an action are congruous. The act of taking an action with a unit is activating that unit, and that unit becomes the active unit.

Actions in ToI is a mechanism on how to represent the activity of two forces who in reality would be acting simultaneously acting and re-acting to each other's movements and fire. One way was the I-go-you-go mechanism where one player did all of his thing then the other player did all of his. Some tactical games, like Advanced Tobruk break up a turn with each player alternating taking one action with one unit until all units have had a chance to do something. ToI splits it up with a few actions at a time. The specific number is defined in the scenario, with the first scenario defining it as 3 actions per action turn.

The offensive card gives the player 4 more actions on top of the normal number of actions per action turn as defined by the scenario.

Because the card will already have been in your HQ area you will know about it and plan with it. It would be up to you to plan accordingly to leave enough unfatigued units available to exploit the card fully the moment you spring (activate) that particular strategy card.

You must always fatigue a unit after using it as part of an action (prepare opfire action exception noted). Since a unit is fatigued after being the object of an action, one can never use the same unit for multiple actions in a round.

In effect, this card allows you to have an extended action turn allowing you to execute a more involved plan before your opponent can react on his action turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
isaacc wrote:
We'll probably need Mike to chime in on this but this is how I read it.

I just want to state that I am not the official rules authority.

Other than that, you are right about the how the card works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course what's really fun is when you have both cards and you first use the Surprise Assault to grant you a single additional action (before their action) which you then use to activate the Major Offensive card. That gives you four full actions to stick it to them when they're down!

--- RFC ---
4 5 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WhereAreTheBlackDice wrote:
Of course what's really fun is when you have both cards and you first use the Surprise Assault to grant you a single additional action (before their action) which you then use to activate the Major Offensive card. That gives you four full actions to stick it to them when they're down!

I don't think you can do that, because you aren't taking a "turn" when you play the Surprise Assault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cole
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I don't think you can do that, because you aren't taking a "turn" when you play the Surprise Assault.

This is exactly why I objected to the use of Major Offensive as a Surprise Assault when it was attempted on me two days ago (although as always, I was the Bigger Man and allowed it, not allowing it to spoil my victory.)

It seems clear to me that Major Offensive adds actions to your *turn*, and a Suprise Assault does not grant a turn... it grants one action. I would love to hear an official word on this, or at least a series of comments agreeing with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark MacRae
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just got the official word back via email:

Quote:

After you play Surprise Assualt, you may use one of your actions to use Major Offensive.

I hope that this answers your question,
-Corey Konieczka

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

After you play Surprise Assualt, you may use one of your actions to use Major Offensive.

I hope that this answers your question,
-Corey Konieczka

The answer doesn't quite make sense. Surprise Assault only gives one action; why does he say you can now use "one of your actions"??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark MacRae
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't know... maybe in the expansion they are playtesting, the card's text is being changed to give you more actions...?

The main point though, is that there is no problem with playing Major Offensive as your Surprise Assault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.