BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: The gaunglet rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
David Avila
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
As many of you will know, many games+many opinions=difficult decisions when buying new games. I have a jotted down a list and I would be delighted if people could pick the game they reccomend most highly, and give reasons. Of course this is very difficult, and requires some knowledge of what I'm looking for in a game.

To be honest I am fairly flexible. I really am not a fan of the luck factor, although a bit of luck ofen makes things more palatable for nongamers

I enjoy playing a game where I think "wow, these game mechanics really are something special". A good game is one you fell you enjoy even if you feel you have little chance of winning.

Complexity is not that big an issue. Luckily my friends seem to pick up games quite quickly which offers a wide selection for consideration.

I do appreciate attractive games, a point which is even more important with my friends. Colosseum was reall helpful at drawing in the non-gamers.

Numbers vary greatly when playing games. I guess there is no real requirement for this field, however a game that scales well couldn't be bad. Additionally, should a super game play well with say only 5, as apposed to an ok game that scales well from 2-10 I would pick the former 9/10.

Ok, so there what I am interested in. As well as being on the look out for new games, I always appreciate hearing people make their case for all these big games which I am yet to play. Heres the shortlist.

El grande *
(should I get the decennial edition, would it get much use, the saved money could help me get a 2nd game).

Die macher *

Power grid *

shogun *

caylus *(although I have pillars of the earth)

Goa

Imperial

Yspahan

santiago

traders of genoa

(*=high interest)

Of course if you are bursting to talk about a game not on the list, go for it! Feel free to check out my current ratings for my likes and dislikes.

Thanks again,

Dav

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dean
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Amish Tech Support
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy Power Grid as do several friends. It doesn't play well with 2, but 3-5 is a blast.
Keythedral, though not on your list is fun. It has been described as Settlers on steroids.
Caylus is a good game but some have described it as "dry." I've only played it once so I can't really comment objectively.
Maharaja: Palace Building in India is one I recommend highly. Deeper than Settlers but not as complicated as Power Grid. Our friends had a good time playing it. There is a good chance for "screwage" or you can be nice. Pretty bits, too. You'll pick it up during the first game. By comparison you need to play almost a full game of Power Grid before everything is understood.
Also you may want to consider one of the Ticket to Ride games. They are not as heavy as many of those on your list but 3-5 players can have an exciting time.
I invite you to look at my profile and list of games. And look at those of others on the geek. It's a good way to find gamers with similar tastes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I would say the best in that group are Power Grid and Shogun. They are both a lot of fun and don't take the 5 hours that Die Macher requires. (OK maybe that was a slight exaggeration, but not much.) They both have a "luck factor" though, ie. the power plants that are pulled and the cube tower. I will also note that Yspahan is a great game and plays much quicker than the others. I also think there is less of a luck factor here too. Yes, there are a lot of dice to roll, but they only generate which catergories are used each turn. In any event, all three of these are wonderful and I will play them every chance I get. Hope this helped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arif ally
United States
Kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
El Grande decennial edition is a great buy. The expansions are good and change the game greatly.
As for Power Grid,Caylus,Shogun,Traders of Goa and Imperial they are all good games and you should pick them up at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.