Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Zielinski
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to hear if anyone has beaten this mission?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
With bomb only at 5 health and it taking damage 50% of the rounds (Red and Yellow)... you statistically only have 10 turns to finish this. Unless you're able to get the bomb over the same repair pads multiple times which is super hard to do because the Pads are either in the corner or on the other side of a Rune Gate allowing only one pass through. I'll also add that the bomb must go over lava at least once in the game. Essentially, making the Bomb's health 4 for the mission.

If you have... I'd like to know your thought process to see if we're even attempting it correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feet_of_Clay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
It's been a while... but if I remember correctly: the bomb goes back up to 5 health every time it goes onto a repair pad. 5 health is plenty for getting between repair pads. I seem to remember we initially did the whole run without repair pad and had 2 health remaining (this was when the bomb had 10 health- so still only 8 loss for whole run- but think we needed both pads for 5 health... but second pad isn't that much out the way anyway...)

This was at 2 player: pretty sure we sent one ahead thinning the numbers, with the second towing with some pretty stacked movement...

(I could be wrong about the bomb going back to 5 health on a repair pad... don't have the game with me and away for the holidays to check!!)

Hope this helps...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pinter
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had 1 health prior to crossing the lava (regular game), so it can't be that much harder than screwing up the beginning. We kept moving the bomb over the repair pad until we had 3 health and made a run for it. We barely made it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zielinski
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doclj86 wrote:
It's been a while... but if I remember correctly: the bomb goes back up to 5 health every time it goes onto a repair pad.

No. Bomb only heals 1.

Quote:

We had 1 health prior to crossing the lava (regular game), so it can't be that much harder than screwing up the beginning. We kept moving the bomb over the repair pad until we had 3 health and made a run for it. We barely made it though.

If you had to raise the bombs health to 3 to make it to the last lava pool on tile 3 then it took more that 7 damage by map tile 2. It is MUCH harder with only 5.

I'm all for a challenge. Love the other missions on Hard Mode but when those fail, it's because I didn't play optimally. With only Mission 8 do I feel that failure is purely luck of dice. It's the only mission that I've had to attempt 10+ times and to only reach the 3rd map tile once. I think the Hard mode could be Minions move 3 or Gates must be unlocked to pass (even if your using moves matching their color). But Bomb health of 5 seems statistically improbable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zielinski
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VICTORY!!!

Last night, 1 AM! Finally got it. I have officially earned my Master Degree in Mech-ology!

I'm going to attempt the mission again and try the same technique to verify that it does work. By far Mission 8 is the hardest of all R.E.K.T. Missions with a minimum of a dozen attempts. Mission 10 is second place with a half dozen or so.
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Beat it with 2 mechs. Proper Schematics and patience is the key. Heimerdinder was assigned to Bomb repair for two reasons: 1) His Overdrive ability of swapping two undamaged slot and 2) His "I Could Do That Better" Schematic. Both give him more flexibility. He starts the game adjacent to the bomb but facing away from it (blue.) In the opening draft you give him 2nd level of any movement. He then tows the bomb 1 space. Putting the bomb atop the yellow rune and stands on the green himself. Reducing chance of early minion spawn. For the next couple rounds, you only want Memory Cores, Omnistomps (never leveled above 2) and Speeds (also not levels above 2 for the beginning.) Heimerdinger will have all the cards he needs before Corki, and before you're ready to move the bomb. So, all drafts for him are to just keep repairing and keep swapping turns and moves as needed to repetitively push the bomb onto the repair pad, turn around and tow the bomb off back onto the rune space. Also bank up some attacks and attacking level 3 turns for defense.

Corki is on Turret duty. For several rounds... all he takes are turns and attacks. Ideally, getting up to lvl 3 Flamespitters, Cyclotons, Scythes and Aimbots. He remains on the Blue Rune space again to prevent a close minion spawn. His Schematics are Mad Props, increasing Scythe's attack to range 2 and Gunship increase the number of targets for all aimbots to 2.

Don't move at all, from the beginning area until all schematics are unlocked. By this time, Heimerdinger will have a few attacks of his own to defend near by minions. Corki is converted from Turret to Tank. He adds a movement to his board (likely level 3 immediately) and starts clearing the way forward.

Once cleared and ONLY if the bomb is still at health 3 or above does Heimerdinger finally use "I Could Do That Better" with at least an Omnistomp, Speed and Scythe on remainder of his board and follows behind Corki.

Once the bomb is in motion, make sure both Mechs get a level 3 Fuel Tank as a turn. This will help for the long line of minions that have been accumulating and slowing moving down the corridors since the beginning.

Repair the bomb at the second pad. Multiple times if possible. It's the Green gate that makes it hard here... so that's why you makes sure one of the movements your bomb tow-er has is Omnistomp so they can travel through it back and forth with ease.

Once the Bomb is towed over the lava... immediately repair the bomb over the repair pad on the other side. This pad is easy to use multiple times because of no gates near by.

Once repaired... drop it off at final destinations and relish in the victory of the hardest mission!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pinter
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't clear. My son (7 years old) left me behind with the bomb and I had to move it (and defend it) to the last repair pad 100% by myself while he was at the end point. A single mech both moving and defending the bomb will take significant damage. It took a while to both convince him to come back and for him to get the program cards required to do so.

10 health for us was probably the equivalent of 5 health for a team working together. It took hours of play and was by far our longest mission and we did get extremely lucky to make it to the finish (we had to survive a dice roll with 1 health left within 1 turn of the final destination).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 7-years old son and I played this mission with two mechs each. It has been a while but IIRC this is one of the hard missions for us. It took us two hours (or maybe more!) to complete it because we had to move very cautiously. We played on EZ mode and also moved the bomb to the repair pads many time when we felt the bomb's health was too low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nordlead wrote:

So, where is the rule that repair pads can fix the bomb? I've checked the reference under 'bomb' and 'repair pad', and neither of them mention it. Mission 8 doesn't say you can repair it. Mission 1 makes it pretty clear the repair pads don't work on the bomb. What am I missing here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
nordlead wrote:

So, where is the rule that repair pads can fix the bomb? I've checked the reference under 'bomb' and 'repair pad', and neither of them mention it. Mission 8 doesn't say you can repair it. Mission 1 makes it pretty clear the repair pads don't work on the bomb. What am I missing here?

In Mission 1, moving the bomb to the repair pad ends the game, so it didn't need to heal. In Mission 5, it states that the bomb can be repaired on the pads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
StormKnight wrote:
nordlead wrote:

In Mission 1, moving the bomb to the repair pad ends the game, so it didn't need to heal. In Mission 5, it states that the bomb can be repaired on the pads.

I guess that is supposed to apply to mission 8 as well then? Since its not in the reference, I would assume that was supposed to a mission-specific special rule, but I think you are probably right and it this is just an error - otherwise the REKT version would be totally impossible!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
runtsta wrote:

I guess that is supposed to apply to mission 8 as well then? Since its not in the reference, I would assume that was supposed to a mission-specific special rule, but I think you are probably right and it this is just an error - otherwise the REKT version would be totally impossible!

It's certainly not clear, but most of the rules have been introduced that way- spelled out the first time they're relevant, and they continue to be in effect from that point on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:

Look at it from this perspective: If the rules only counted when they're first explained, there wouldn't be a timer after mission one, no new schematic and damage cards after M2, and I think the gates would be ignored, as well. There wouldn't even be drafting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.