Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Devon Mallory
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
So I was just thinking about how facebook has all these new applications since they opened up their API, and about how you can get widgets from BGG to post on your blog, and thought, "wouldn't it be cool to have the random photo from my board game collection show up in my facebook profile?" But you can't just paste javascript into your about me section, so if it were to be done it would have to be an application I think...
I'd be happy to take a stab at it in the next few weeks, if a) it's something you'd all like to see, b) it's allowed by the powers that have created this particular geekworld, and c) if it doesn't undermine the idea of BGG as a community. "C" is of particular concern to me...would moving anything from here to facebook be a step in the wrong direction; could it cause some of us to slowly move our identities away from this unique place to the giant world of facebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Barringer
United States
Rushford
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I already ported the BGG widget to widgetbox.com which supplies widgets to facebook. I assumed since it was already ok to put the BGG widget other places that accept javascript it would be ok. So far it hasn't showed up as available on facebook, but it should soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Mallory
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
That's great. I'll keep an eye out for it, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Excellent - I was looking at the Faceook API the other day. Let me know if I need to do anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
If I may speak for us young people... As a new student to a new school in a new city in a new state this last year, I was surprised to find out that I couldn't get info on student activities, even university organized clubs, without a facebook account. I tried looking for gamers at my school but it only led me down blind alleys. I am all in favor of some integration to help all the geeks of my (and future) generations get together for some late night college gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cheverton
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think there is much more potential to be had beyond a straight port of the widget. If you look at the Movies application on facebook which is an integration of the Flixster site, you can see how they have done a much tighter implementation, allowing the two accounts and content to be linked.

I would expect it to be possible to tightly link the collection and games played areas into facebook such that you can receive notifications when one of your friends plays a game, or adds a game to their collection (or beyond that posts a review or a session) allowing you to track what's going on among your network of friends.

It's worth some of your time to research in detail Aldie.

-Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri Balofsky
Israel
Tel Mond
HaSharon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to voice my support of a BGG Facebook application.

Maybe be able to link in session reports. List the games you own. Find local gamers/games. I don't know how integrated the content here can be linked to facebook, but it'd be pretty neat and handy to do a search on facebook for BGG friends n' such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Kao
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted an excuse to write a Facebook app so I made a simple little widget that shows your recently played and hot games from BGG on your Facebook profile:
http://www.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=2385424552
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Mallory
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
The app that Aldie just built is exactly what I wanted. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Walsh
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I really like the facebook boardgames application. However are games only displayed if they are linked up to BGG. I didn't get a chance to check it out before I transfered all my profile info. Is there an option to add games manually, that don't require signing up for BGG and using their profiles?

as of right now, i have a lot of friends who have zero added games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Mallory
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Brandon,

There's a giant thread on the Boardgames application now. Check out http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/171759

I think I can answer your question, anyway - You can search for games from the facebook app, and add them to your collection, etc., but it requires a boardgamegeek account. When you add the application, it shows up in everyone's profile, whether or not they've added the application, which is why you see so many 0 added games things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.