Steven Dolges
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my copy the other day, woot!

In my sorting and processing, I noticed that the rulebook calls out map sheets in the contents in order to play La Grande Battles but my copy only had the two mounted boards for EPIC battles.

Is anyone else missing the map sheets? I'm guessing I need to contact GMT about this.

EDIT: I have received another package separately from GMT games that includes the map sheets. Everyone should be getting them shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just check that the mounted boards aren't double sided, since this was the original plan.
Contents
2 Battlefield map boards
When the map boards are set up side-by-side, they form an EPIC size battlefield of 11 hexes deep by 20 hexes wide. The reverse side forms the La Grande battlefield of 11 hexes deep by 26 hexes wide.

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-575-commands-colors-napoleonics-ex...

I understand this changed during production, and then the map misprinting in October involved printing mounted La Grande Battle maps without any Epic maps.

So who knows what the current plan is.. and some photos would be great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't help you, I haven't got my copy yet. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
I don't have the map sheets either. I emailed GMT last night but haven't, and don't expect to, hear from them (until next week at the earliest).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey Weston
United States
Goshen
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are sending them out separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dolges
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The backside of the Epic boards is blank. But if they are indeed sending them out separately, I suppose that would take care of things. I'll probably send them an email as well next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its too bad GMT didn't do a monthly update yet. Did you guys who received your games receive prior shipping notices?

The key question is, are the "map sheets" just scenario set up guides, like you get in Epic Ancients, which I'd guess was their original intent, or actual substitute playing boards? Or will there by additional separate mounted boards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dolges
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
Its too bad GMT didn't do a monthly update yet. Did you guys who received your games receive prior shipping notices?

The key question is, are the "map sheets" just scenario set up guides, like you get in Epic Ancients, which I'd guess was their original intent, or actual substitute playing boards? Or will there by additional separate mounted boards?

The map sheets are separate from the mounted boards. They are larger dimensions to be used for the very large La Grande battles. They are just made of paper as opposed to mounted cardboard since they are so large.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They sound like the Battle Map Pack paper maps of Memoir 44, which are currently being revived in a second series (Battles of Khalkin Gol).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
srd5090 wrote:
chas59 wrote:

The map sheets are separate from the mounted boards. They are larger dimensions to be used for the very large La Grande battles. They are just made of paper as opposed to mounted cardboard since they are so large.

I wonder how durable these paper map boards will be. The Memoir paper maps were printed with terrain for a particular battle which spread usage and wear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cool I'll be using the large transparent plastic sheets I bought long ago when many board games had paper maps, to cover them up and prevent wear and spillage!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dolges
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news everyone! This evening in the mail I received a small package from GMT Games which contained the La Grande battle map sheets! They are made of thin cardstock, so plexiglass may be desired when using.

http://imgur.com/ke5OGCI
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
srd5090 wrote:
Good news everyone! This evening in the mail I received a small package from GMT Games which contained the La Grande battle map sheets! They are made of thin cardstock, so plexiglass may be desired when using.

http://imgur.com/ke5OGCI

That's not too bad, then. I have used card stock maps with Worthington's Napoleon's War quite frequently and they appear to be holding up reasonably well. I suspect I'll be using the epic boards more often than not rather than La Grande Battle maps and so they should stand the test of time. However, I'll probably do what I always do with key expansions where boards and card decks are supplied and that is to buy a second copy to provide a spare and ensure a long gaming life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Laporte
France
Limeil-Brevannes
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
Thanls for the info Steven!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clay stretch
United States
louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Honestly I think the epic battles are going to be just fine as far as blowing up the tempo and scope of this, my favorite period and one of my two favorite games. I never did bond with ancient epic as I never really found a need to alter perfection (I believe). But Napoleonics was the subject that was my first love, both board and miniature. So I'm not all that interested in the grande Battille but will play it at the drop of a hat. So, bring it if your going to cincycon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo I am happy to report that inside my box, which just came today, were the two LGB map boards, which are in fact cardboard, not paper! The only difference between the box contents list besides the new board formats (not double sided mounted any more) are that I got 1 Terrain Sheet rather than 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the maps for both size games in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Baney
United States
Wrightwood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received my copy today. It came with two mounted map boards without the La grande Battle map sheets. It sounds as if I'll be receiving those separately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Owczarski
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will confess to being disappointed that the LGB maps are not mounted -- as is still indicated by GMT Games.

Although on cardstock, they're not the sturdiest and I was truly looking forward to this aspect of the game.

Straight under plexi to be sure...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I'm guessing that this had something to do with the printing foul up; and that it would have taken them much longer to redo it in the original way as two sided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.