4 Posts

Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Simplify the game by removing scientist role rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I'd like to play this game with a group of non-gamers. The rules are pretty straightforward, but the event cards add some complexity and randomness I feel are unnecessary to enjoy the game.

I've seen some variants which ignore a specific type of event card, like the discoveries or the (overpowered) missions.

I consider skipping the scientist role alltogether and only dealing mission cards add the start of the game.

Has anyone tried this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Let us go out this evening for pleasure; the night is still young."
badge
STOP! WHOSE TURN IS IT NEXT?
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played it with non gamers and it was fine as is. Each player can only draw two extra cards apiece so it's not a huge deal to explain what's in the deck:
More missions (like they already have), actions that can be played whenever the text says, and discoveries that change how an area on the map is scored.
Luckily the text is pretty straightforward. Just explain the card types every time someone goes to draw them and folks will catch on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doctor poo wrote:
Each player can only draw two extra cards apiece

Where does the number 2 come from? Is there a hand limit? Or a restriction on when you can use the Recruiter?

Couldn't you play Scientist, then Recruiter, then Scientist, then Recruiter, then Scientist again, etc., and get up to 5 additional cards? I'm not saying that's a smart strategy, but, as far as I'm aware, it's still a possibility if that's what you really want to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig B
Australia
Mount Hawthorn
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danaolson wrote:
doctor poo wrote:
Each player can only draw two extra cards apiece

Where does the number 2 come from? Is there a hand limit? Or a restriction on when you can use the Recruiter?

Couldn't you play Scientist, then Recruiter, then Scientist, then Recruiter, then Scientist again, etc., and get up to 5 additional cards? I'm not saying that's a smart strategy, but, as far as I'm aware, it's still a possibility if that's what you really want to do.

Yep you could do it 5 times or whatever. You'd lose, but it'd be hilarious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.