Subject: Missed kickstarter campaigns, games in retail less attractive? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: love_hate_and_Kickstarter [+] [View All]
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

if you missed a kickstarter campaign and the game appears in retail without all the stretch goals (promos and so on) and there isn't really a chance to get the whole content of the kickstarter campaign, does it annoys you?
Would you even avoid buying the game?

I know that stretch goals are a nice incentive to get the support of backers but I am not a fan if those promos or whatever won't be released at all (at some point).

What's your opinion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sallay
msg tools
mbmb
Re: Missed kickstarter campaign, games in retail less attractive?
It depends of the game. A good game should stand on its own without promos. Would you be willing to play the game without the extra content. I personally don't think it is worth the time, hassle, and money to be a completionist. For a specific game, ask in the game forum if people feel like you need the exclusive content to enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually kickstarters are pretty bad. They're sold on a potential that is not achieved. Buying them retail at a fraction of the KS price sometimes makes them OK again. Sometimes they simply remain great ideas executed poorly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't annoy me in the slightest and certainly wouldn't stop me buying a game.

I've accumulated a stack of promos for various games and I very rarely use any of them because they add extra rules or throw off the game balance, or are unplaytested fan creations etc etc.

Promos are useful for one thing though, and that's boosting resale value.

It's weird, there are a lot of threads with people getting really upset that they can't get all the extras that exist for a game, like somehow it makes them a lesser person or something.

It doesn't, or if people really must have the extras, they should suck it up and pay ebay prices rather than bending the publisher's ear about it.

I mean, "you know you're worth it", right??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kickstarter is the worst. If the game is any good, it will likely get a reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the game is good, I would buy it regardless.

Case in point: Santorini
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOVE Kickstarter. I've got a lot more hits than misses and the Kickstarter editions are almost always better than the later release. I've yet to see a KS exclusive that ruined the retail game with its absence, but I have quite a few KS editions that are simply awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just pick up the promo and expansion items from the kickstarter later on the BGG Store or direct from the publisher at the next convention if I like the game enough. Sometimes I am lucky enough to trade for the complete item by someone who decided it wasn't worth keeping.

Kickstarters are great for bragging rights and getting it first, not so much for ensuring you have a game no one will ever have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like the idea of buying half or even 2/3s of a game. If there is ks exclusive anything for the thing they can keep their game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
I LOVE Kickstarter. I've got a lot more hits than misses and the Kickstarter editions are almost always better than the later release. I've yet to see a KS exclusive that ruined the retail game with its absence, but I have quite a few KS editions that are simply awesome.

Fallen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Lanza
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmb
MordorFrodo wrote:
I don't like the idea of buying half or even 2/3s of a game. If there is ks exclusive anything for the thing they can keep their game.

I am not sure what you are talking about.

I have not involved in a single Kickstarter where the "exclusives" are required to play the game. The exclusives are "extras" that are not required to complete or enjoy the games. Unless you are a "completionist" who cannot sleep at night knowing there is some obscure piece of a game that is not required to enjoy the game, the KSE are not required nor are you required to purchase something more than the core game.

All KSE are "nice to have" that is all.

I have funded several games where all I needed was the core game and one or two expansions I believed I would like.

The core game is 100% of the game. The KSE are nice to have but entirely not necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Normiyagi wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

Fallen

I have Fallen. I bought it retail with a few KS extras.

I think I've played it twice...

It's one of my examples of games that sound good in concept but are just awful.

More scenarios would not improve it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Most promos don't matter all that much. Sure some are nice to have, but it's pretty rare that the lack of them actually hurts the game. It's probably more common that the promo content is actually detrimental to game play due to being unplay tested and messing with balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't feel I've missed anything by missing a 'kickstarted' campaign.

I'm not a huge fan of lending my capital in hopes of something good getting produced.

I'd much rather wait for retail because:

a) I'll then know it actually has been produced
b) don't have to sit around wondering when I'll see it
c) it's often 'cheaper'
d) I get to hear first if it's any good. So, many of them are put out poorly play tested and edited.

As for promos, even the well play tested and edited games have promos that just don't work with the game as intended and are just 'tacked' on for promotional purposes and not really for 'game' reasos. So, I don't miss most promos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

Kickstarter is a racket. It's disrespectful to its customers and trades in fear.

Wait for the game to be published before buying. That is far and away the smartest move in this particular game.

Exclusives are for easy marks by the way.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stokes
United States
Chatham
Illinois
flag msg tools
BoardGameGeek
badge
BoardGameGeek
mbmbmbmbmb
With a rare exception (Xia), no. If I want a game, I back it on Kickstarter.
If I miss the Kickstarter and cannot get the exclusive content, I won't buy the game. Sure, I may miss out on a few great games. There is no shortage of great game on the market today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, if they offer KS exclusive promos that change the gameplay and can't be acquired afterwards, I won't buy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Heavily depends on the game. Ghostbusters was crippled at retail by all the KS exclusivity. It was also, by most reports, a lousy game. So maybe it was just crippled by being lousy? OTOH, Zombicide plays great without the exclusives (does need a few expansions, though). Plus, the KS exclusives sold for more than the price of the pledge (in my case, anyway), making the game both fun and nearly free (excepting the financial risk and my time, of course).

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aric Ashgrove
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
...at last I return back to the logical and sane world of wargaming, in order to truly enjoy games again.
badge
https://library.brown.edu/collections/askb/veterans.php
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole crowdfunding thing in general seems to be just one of the latest renewed tricks to outsource the risk to the consumer rather than the business. If the game is good or great, you may take the risk and come up ahead or even. You could also come up behind if it is a stinker. Regardless the choice is up to YOU. One of the rarer fine points of consumerism: choice.

P.S. GM me when all games are required to be Kickstarted and I will rally with you to end that practice...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R F
msg tools
Half the time it doesn't matter, half the time it does. An alternate art promo card you can't get at retail? No problem.

A game with a grand total of 4 adventure scenarios, 2 of which are KS exclusive? You're only buying half the game. Is it half the price, or compensates for in some other strong way? I doubt it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all the answers so far.
It's always interesting to hear different opinions.
I just bought 1 kickstarter game so far, hero realms.
In my opinion the kickstarter content for this game made a great game even better and there are quite a few cards for it, which I would miss.
Another game I was interested for a while was Mistfall as Warhammer Quest the Adventure Card Game replacement but I wasn't excited after reading threads like this: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1462727/unplayable-without-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i dont mind missing out on deluxe or upgraded components, but if there is an expansion or other exclusives which affect gameplay, I generally wont buy a game after KS unless there is a way to get said exclusives...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can't tell one KS from another, don't back KS. But, if you know which companies, such as Queen Games, will discount their retail base games heavily compared to their KS pledge levels, you can skip them if you're fine with a base game. Other companies, like CMON and SDE, will pack in so many extras, it's either the KS or nothing. And some companies have so much drama, incompetence, delays, or shady behavior, that I'll skip the KS regardless.

I have so many boardgames, that I don't back non-miniature boardgames. I haven't even played the boardgames I KS'ed several years ago. I'm at the point I can even pass up retail games at a good discount -- and I don't have to wait a year nor pay shipping for retail games -- so no need for KS boardgames, either. For miniatures and miniature boardgames, I have such a backlog of miniatures that I don't mind waiting (and skipping First Created projects), so long as I know the company will deliver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger the Alien wrote:
Would you even avoid buying the game?

Yep. I would. It's called OCD. If I don't get the full monty, I pass.
There are plenty of other great games around. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like exclusives.

If a game on KS reaches its goal and has no KS exclusives, I might just decide to buy it in retail later on. KS exclusives are a reason to back it regardless.

I am also less inclined to buy a game in retail if I missed the KS campaign and the game had a lot of exclusives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.