Popular Tags: [View All]
Roland Wood
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried this alternate way of playing and liked it and maybe you will too.

Place the four pawns in a line from lightest to darkest (white, cream, blue, black)

The first player to yell "ubongo" takes the white pawn and places it on any empty slot. That slot is now taken and cannot be chosen by another player.

The second player then takes the cream and so on.

Players need not wait for a previous player to place. If I grab the cream just before someone else grabs the blue and I am indecisive then the player with the blue pawn can pre-empt me. Then I am stuck with the columns that remain unoccupied.

When the round is over remove the pawns and line them up again for the next round.

Scoring

3 of a kind: 1 point
4 of a kind: 2 points
5 of a kind: 3 points
6 of a kind: 4 points

complete set of colors: 5 points
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
That actually seems like it might work out better than the other method they use. We may try this, given that we play Ubongo a lot.

The only drawback I can see is that there is not much penalty for completing your puzzle last. As long as you complete it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten ◄► Wesel
Germany
Pinneberg-Quellental
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
The only drawback I can see is that there is not much penalty for completing your puzzle last. As long as you complete it.

You have less rows to choose from, as there are the pawns from the other player blocking their rows.

But the variant sounds good. I'll give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Wood
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We line the gems up by color horizontally and then place gems of the same color below the ones we have already collected. You score 5 points for each complete horizontal line and score variable points for each vertical line that has at least three of a kind.

So yes, the short answer is that scoring overlaps and you can score twice for gems if you have a full set of colors and also multiple copies of a gem. In your example of three sets of each gems you would get 21 points as you indicated.

You can use this scoring method with the original rules of pawn placement as well as my variant if you feel the variant makes gem selection too easy. Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.