Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin Boatman
United States
New Iberia
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I am anxiously waiting the arrival of this game for Christmas I was reading over the rules and had a question about combat, specifically against a leader that maybe you can help me with. How exactly does combat work? Is it a single battle where the ranger or rangers all each get to roll their dice and if they don't kill the leader the lose? Or is it like a lot of games where once combat starts its each side taking turns attacking until someone dies. From reading the book it seems you only get to attack once, but it never comes out and says that. If it is a single action/round, once it is over, can the rangers immediately spend another action to attack again? Or do they go back to Last Stand right away?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard Dustin. You have the idea of combat down pretty well. It's a one-shot affair where all the rangers participating roll their attack dice. If they don't kill the general (reduce it to 0 or less than 0 wounds), the rangers lose and are immediately sent back to Last Stand in defeat.

It's been a while since I looked at the Last Stand rulebook, but if this game works like Defenders of the Realm (a fantasy themed game with the same engine), the turn is still active for the ranger who initiated the general combat, so if they have any unused action points remaining they may use them before completing their turn. In practice though, this is very hard to do since often those actions points are lost to wounds and become unavailable; wounds should first come off of unused action points.

Example: Jake has 7 action points. He uses 2 action points to move into position to confront a general; then he spends 1 action point to initiate combat, leaving Jake with 4 unused action points. The combat goes poorly and Jake and his fellow rangers are defeated. Jake suffers 5 wounds; that uses up all of Jake's remaining unused action points - plus an additional wound he takes against one of his used actions - so Jake's turn is over. The next time Jake takes his turn, he'll have 5 wounds and can only take 2 actions (5 + 2 = 7).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Boatman
United States
New Iberia
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I think having a one shot deal is a pretty cool idea. Very thematic. Building up resources and weaponry for one big battle. I believe I have read on here that if players are defeated they go back to Last Stand, but I may be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baker
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something else to be aware of is that most of all of the bosses heal 2 or 3 points after combat and potentially have other penalties. So, while you can do one-on-one combat, you'll typically want to sabotage a leader first to reduce their health and/or attach with multiple rangers at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.