Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: denver [+] [View All]
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A gaming buddy of mine is moving to Denver later this month, and I'd like to help set him up with a gaming group in his new home. Are there any Denver area gamers willing to adopt a geek?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you know where in the Denver area your friend will live and/or work?

There are numerous gaming groups here, based in different parts - south, north, west, etc.

This page lists all the gaming groups in the region:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/Solamar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a feeling there will be a number of groups for him to choose from, given how many GeekLists of the games played by different Denver groups each week are posted... so very jealous of Denver am I

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/Thommy8/tag/denver

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thommy8, I know what you mean. Denver seems to be chock full of gamery goodness. My husband's job keeps making noises about transferring him to Denver - I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mb
And another session report is up!

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/22129

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And another, in south Denver this time:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/22121

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Denise wrote:
Thommy8, I know what you mean. Denver seems to be chock full of gamery goodness. My husband's job keeps making noises about transferring him to Denver - I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

Don't do it. Denver is a terrible place:

12 gaming groups in the region
TimeWellSpent.org warehouse pickup (no shipping $)
300+ days of sunshine
Mild climate
Lots of high tech jobs
Major airport hub
Mountains nearby - powder skiing, hiking, etc.
Extensive network of bike trails
New light rail
Few bugs (too dry)
etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Denise wrote:

Denise, if you actually moved here first it might prompt your husband to maybe threaten his company that he'll leave if they don't move him!

But, all joking aside, the greater Denver area is filled with plenty of gamers. Actually there are lots of groups spread from Colorado Springs all the way up to Greeley. Throw in more than a half dozen decent game stores (and a few really good ones!), several good boardgame friendly cons and an online game store and this is definitely the place to be for gamers. And most importantly, everyone is very friendly. In the years I've been involved with the DenverGames group I can't think of a single personality issue arising. That's not bad for a large group like we have. Just last month I had 40+ gamers at my house for a game day and I can honestly say that there is not a single one I wouldn't invite back or wouldn't happily sit down and play a game with.

Now all we need would be to get BGG.con to move to Denver! shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cull wrote:
Denise wrote:

300+ days of sunshine
Mild climate
Lots of high tech jobs
Major airport hub
New light rail
Few bugs (too dry)
etc.

How's the seafood/food scene over there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rappak wrote:

How's the seafood/food scene over there?

Seafood!!

That's a joke, right?? We barely have water out here!

We don't exactly get fresh fish right off the boat here in Colorado. If seafood is necessary for your very existance then Colorado might not be your ideal place to live. I'm sure there are a few good seafood places in the area, mostly for trout, but I'm sure it wouldn't approach what our more coastal friends would be used to.

A bit ironically I guess, we do have 'hurricanes' here, just without the water. We are currently under a high wind warning with gusts in the 80-100 mph range!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fish works. I remember back in wisconsin, if you ask for fish in most places, you get glared at. Variety is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And if you're ever looking for a trip up into the high country, I have a small game group in the mountains about an hour west of Denver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mb
Quote:
How's the seafood/food scene over there

Well, Alan said, don't bother. We live in a desert. People always assume Colorado is all mountains, but there is more farmland out her than mountains. However, you are never far from moutains that's for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cull wrote:
Denise wrote:

300+ days of sunshine
Mild climate
Lots of high tech jobs
Major airport hub
New light rail
Few bugs (too dry)
etc.

Rub it in, why doncha

Few bugs! I'm there!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks folks. They're still house hunting, so I'm not sure what part of the city they'll end up in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SabreRedleg wrote:
Thanks folks. They're still house hunting, so I'm not sure what part of the city they'll end up in.

Be sure and have him let us know where he will end up. Also, if he needs any help getting familiar with the area he can drop us a line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gallagher
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am the geek the OP was talking about. I've landed in the NE section of Denver, out near DIA.

I've been shopping at Attactix and really dig that place.

I am slowly converting my family to board gamers, but even given that, there are some games I don't think I'll ever get them to play: Twilight Imperium, Combat Commander, Twilight Struggle, Puerto Rico, Goa, etc. I don't think I'll ever get them to play anything longer than 1-2 hours or heavier than a light-middle.

I'd love to connect up with a group of gamers in my area that are interested in playing some of the heavier games.

I'm 30, married and have a 2 year old daughter, so my gaming time is rare but precious and dedicated

Hope to hear from you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to jump onto this thread. It looks like I'll be moving to the Denver area in March. We're looking at the NW section of the metro area (Golden, Broomfield, Arvada, etc.) but we haven't settled on a location yet. Once we get moved in I'll be looking for a game group as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Denver area has plenty of game groups to go around so keep 'em coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.