Hide
7 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: One set, two Investgators rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dr Snooze
msg tools
Is anyone playing this with a single core set, using two Investigators? I've been playing either with my friend, or running two Investgators myself and I've had a lot of trouble defeating the starter campaign. We got past scenario 2 the first time, but then we realized we were using the clues incorrectly. This particular scenario requires you to use an action to turn in four clues and spawn a cultist. Over the course of the game, that's 4-5 more actions.

Anyway, I feel like the combat numbers are off. It's very difficult to defeat even simple monsters, like the Acolytes and the Nightgaunts. The Acolytes only have 1 HP, but everything else has 4 or more! There are only a handful of ways to do more than 1 point of damage at a time, and except for the Machete, they're all limited by charges. Either the ammo for the guns, or the charges for a spell. Those both run out, and although they can be recharged by certain cards, those require more actions, more resources, and often an attack of opportunity.

Anyway, I feel like it's a monumental effort just to kill one 4-hp guy, let alone the 8-hp Masked Hunter. A few spawns can pretty much wreck your entire operation.

How does everyone else feel about combat balance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
This is likely a consequence of a limited card pool. Once you get some expansions and can start including more solutions for enemies (weapons, events, ways to evade, ways to discard), you will have more reliable means of dealing with them.

Right now you could get a second core set, or be patientband wait for Dunwhich Legacy.

While I am personally playing with 2 cores, there are several accounts on these forums where players have completed the campaign with 1 core. Mulligan for weapons, stall when you have time to draw cards. Use any search cards (Old Book of Lore) to find solutions.

Hope you find your way. Merry Christmas, and stay sane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now playing with just one set - is really a pain.

Tried Roland + Agnes, will try Roland + Wendy and Skids + Daisy.

Anyway the game is great. Looking forward to expansions to expand card pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can get a decent result on Scenarios 1 & 2 with a single Core, but I agree that getting the best result on 3 is very difficult, even on Easy. That's okay for me - getting killed a lot in an Arkham game is a feature, not a bug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ttoida wrote:
Is anyone playing this with a single core set, using two Investigators? How does everyone else feel about combat balance?

I predominantly play 2 investigators with a single core, and I have played through the campaign + rougarou with everyone except Agnes, and I'm seeing about a 50% win rate on Standard difficulty. (And a 'win' on Scenario 2 means getting 5 or even all 6 cultists).

I do like to dig for Machete and use my upgraded Beat Cop for the bosses, so that for sure helps. But on the whole, I find combat to be perfectly balanced. Tense yet winnable and a fist pounding moment when you do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not trying to high jack the OP's question, but it made me wonder: has anyone played this solo with just one investigator using just the core box? It seems like you could cherry pick the best cards in the core that way. I'm new to the game, ccsn you even play with just one investigator?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigsixer wrote:
Not trying to high jack the OP's question, but it made me wonder: has anyone played this solo with just one investigator using just the core box? It seems like you could cherry pick the best cards in the core that way. I'm new to the game, ccsn you even play with just one investigator?

Yes, and it works, but it doesn't really help deckbuilding - the difference between your choices for a solo and a complementary pair (e.g. Roland + Wendy) come down to a couple of Neutrals that don't make a huge difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.