9 Posts

Atlantic Wall: D-Day to Falaise» Forums » Strategy

Subject: German defensive lines rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bobby Bryant
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What do you put in the German defensive lines? I'm curious about how many steps, contiguous vs alternating hexes, anything immediately behind, etc.

Also, though you obviously prefer defensive terrain, do you ever entrench in open ground to straighten a line?

You may want to give different answers for bocage vs non-bocage, under intense attack rather than just on guard, etc.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stay out of clear terrain, even entrenched. I try and create focal points of defense as the German around good defensive terrain, that includes vantage point hexes. I try and put battalions from same regiment next to each other to provide support, such as adj def shifts and RIB's. Combined arms also. Put those anti-tank/flak guns broken down into hexes with infantry. It's hard to do early in the game, but try and leave a mobile reserve of exploit marked recon and mot/mech infantry stacked with armor so you can react and counter-attack when given the opportunity. Exploit marked recon can exploit into a hex that is about to receive an attack to shift the odds more toward your favor. Early in the game as you pull back from the beaches, pull back far enough that the Allied player cannot PA you, leaving only option for TA's. Also early in the game take advantage of the rule that allows you to replace artillery and infantry steps with WN and StP's. Try and form lines of defense along river lines where possible. Don't be afraid to give ground because you aren't going to push them back into the sea. You want to make it costly to them to advance. Also, starting the 7th I believe, use delay markers, especially along main roads to hold up advances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Karlsson
Sweden
Stenkullen
--
flag msg tools
What Tom said, just that the MP restrictions for dismantling WNs make it a bit hard to achieve, and remember recon units in exploit mode can't stack with other units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Bryant
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Do you ever stack one step of infantry and one step of armor (imitating the WAR KGs) in order to reduce artillery hits, or do you prefer to buff with more infantry?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Gamer
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
The War Gamer (YouTube) Check it out.
badge
It's our imagination that is responsible for the quality of a game, not the game itself.
mb
bdbryant wrote:
What do you put in the German defensive lines? I'm curious about how many steps, contiguous vs alternating hexes, anything immediately behind, etc.

Also, though you obviously prefer defensive terrain, do you ever entrench in open ground to straighten a line?

You may want to give different answers for bocage vs non-bocage, under intense attack rather than just on guard, etc.

Thanks.

I tend to follow a lot of what Tom does with a slight variation. As the German player I strip my Mechanized and Motorized Infantry on the front line, of their transport (no need for it there and reduces fuel considerations) and put it back into the Army Motor Pool, and so that the front has a mobile defense I turn one of my regiments into a Kempfgrouppen (retaining its motorization), place it in exploit beefed up with armor steps a few hexes (give or take a few) behind the line to really give the Allied player(s) something to dread as they guesstimate their attack odds and don't be afraid to run 'em ragged. All along my front I mainly tend to defend the transportation lines like rail and road and loosely defend the rural areas with my exploit marked Recon units and don't be afraid to run 'em ragged. This type of a defense is in keeping with the German "Fireman" type response they are so infamous for and really does draw pause in your opponents. If I may add, it's rare to find a game (are there any?) where these considerations are available, adding awe to the Genius in this design. Hats off to you Joe Youst (again).

All defending forces should have assigned supporting arms of artillery all along the front steeped with other supporting arms where trouble is brewing. Try not to get in the habit of assigning a unit or formation a mission (like defend area X) without supporting arms of some type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Gamer
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
It's our imagination that is responsible for the quality of a game, not the game itself.
mb
bdbryant wrote:
Do you ever stack one step of infantry and one step of armor (imitating the WAR KGs) in order to reduce artillery hits, or do you prefer to buff with more infantry?

As the German player defending I tend to breakdown my Infantry, armor, AT and engineer units to cover more ground for several reasons. First, these supporting arms tend to retain their Armor and AT strengths same as when they are built up allowing you to "spread the wealth." Second, as you state there is the added benefit of avoiding negative FS DRM's. That said if I'm going to go on the offense in an area my units may or may not be broken down depending on terrain and mission requirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Karlsson
Sweden
Stenkullen
--
flag msg tools
Joey or Gunny wrote:
bdbryant wrote:

As the German player defending I tend to breakdown my Infantry, armor, AT and engineer units to cover more ground for several reasons. First, these supporting arms tend to retain their Armor and AT strengths same as when they are built up allowing you to "spread the wealth." Second, as you state there is the added benefit of avoiding negative FS DRM's[...]

My only reason to keep engineer units intact is their speed building ability, enabling them to build an IP in clear hexes in one turn before getting blasted to oblivion by the steel umbrella. But my planning usually fails anyway...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Gamer
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Fredrik,

That then begs the question which is faster, building three FW's in three separate hexes with a three step engineer unit or building three FW's in three separate hexes with a single engineer step in each hex? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Johnson

California
msg tools
Tom and Joey gave a lot of good advice. Terrain is key to a good defensive position. Having a perfectly straight defensive line is less important than covering open terrain with units that can create movement halts.

I keep most of my infantry Btns intact so that I get the benefit of RIBS, CR and heavy FS missions (although I do breakdown if I don't have enough infantry to cover the front). Supporting arms (AT, Eng, AA) are usually broken down to cover more terrain depending on circumstances.

Digging in is also a key point. To get heavy FS support you have to be in that ET with a Btn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.