14 Posts

Santorini» Forums » General

Subject: 3 and 4 players impression? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zhang Zewen
msg tools
mbmb
Pretty convince to get this game after viewing dice tower play through and reviews.

I was wondering what do you guys think of the 3 and 4 player games? Does the board become too busy?

Also just wondering if you are using card sleeves, which brand and dimension would you suggest?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't comment from experience on the 3p and 4p versions but I would say that 2p and 4p have the same number of workers on the board, but in 4p you control them as a team with each player having a unique god-power, so the board wouldn't seem to be more busy in 4p in my mind.

On sleeves, I used the Fantasy Flight Tarot sleeves and they're very nice. I keep all the god cards and tokens in the golden fleece box and the sleeved cards fit just fine.

If you want more options on sleeves for games, here's a link to the sleeves geeklist entry for Santorini.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/164572/item/5082062#item5...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The board is big enough for 6 workers, whether that is 3 players with 2 each or 2 players with 2 and 4. Three players with 4, 3 and 3 workers would be too much.

Santorini is primarily a 2-player game, but can be fun with other numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not noticed the board becoming overly clogged with workers in 3 players; only a handful of the gods use more than 2 workers, and in 2 players, each team shares one set of workers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played a few 3 and 4 player games and personally love them both.

4 player makes for some fun team ups. I enjoy working with a partner.

3 player is the most complex of the modes as it has kingmaker potential.
And a lot of actions that force your opponent to block another. Like if player 1 moves into a wining position, player 2 can choose to build a dome to stop them, or not do so, thus forcing player 3 to stop them.

And with any 3 player game, there is a system of balance that is needed. If two players start going head to head, the 3rd player will go unchecked and steal the win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Owen
United States
Lisle
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the game 10 times. 6 times 2 player and 4 times 3 player. All today. So, I don't have a ton of experience, but in my few plays I've found the 2 player experience the best. The 3 player games were surprisingly fun, but there were a couple of kingmaker situations that soured it just a bit. But the fact that this plays in 20 minutes or so made it so that kingmaker aspect didn't bother me as much as in other games. Especially considering that we just had a lot of goofy fun affecting each other with the god powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Kelso
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have not played 4 players yet. 3 players is super fun. It makes for some super interesting games! "I am building this piece here and you better dome it so he doesn't win". You can force people to make moves they do not want to make. So much fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Against all recommendations in the rule book, we played our first 3 games with 4 players (as a team) and NO god powers. We had a lot of fun. I'm not sure why the rules are written that you HAVE to use god powers in a 4 player game. There's probably a really good reason, but we didn't run into it in our very limited experience.

Looking forward to playing 2 player with god powers, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason for using god powers in a 4-player game is so that you and your partner aren't just taking turns playing a 2-player game. It is a good game that way because Santorini without powers is a good game, but it isn't really a 4-player game experience.

You could play the suggested 4-player game using 2 players who alternate powers, but that might be confusing.

There were rules for a 4-player game where you shared half your pieces with each of your neighbours and victory with one of them. That was a 4-player game by any definition, but extremely unusual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it was a bit like taking turns playing a 2 player game, but for playing with parents after a stressful Christmas morning, it hit the spot and engaged everyone at the table!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon R
United Kingdom
West Midlands
flag msg tools
I haven't actually played any 4-player games yet, so can't comment on them, but I have played lots of 2 and 3-player games.

2-player is my preference because I like pitting my wits against a single opponent and seeing who can come out on top.

I have played a lot of 3-player games though as 2 of my group love playing it that way.

I have found them to be really enjoyable and only encountered a kingmaker situation once.

The only annoyance is when one player makes a terrible mistake and gives the game away for no reason - but thankfully that hasn't happened too often.

I initially thought it would be too crowded and impossible to win with two other players on the board, but there is more space than you might think and the games still usually last only 15-20 minutes.

What mainly happens is everyone tries to create the conditions for their own victory, whilst at the same time stopping both other players, and somewhere in the middle of all of this an opportunity arises for one player to sneak the win (if they can spot it).

I have only had a handful of games that have really gone on for quite a long time - and given their rarity they become fun in their own way. Nobody wants to be the one who messes up after 30 minutes of tense back and forthing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
I've enjoyed all player counts with Santorini.
Have had my most memorable and fun games with 3 and 4 players. If you have a group that gets along well and can enjoy game banter (NO!!!! Why did you do that!!! AAAHHHHHH!!!!) it is a blast.
We play 3 and 4 player games with open discussion. In the 3 player game it is expected that players will discuss what is going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlvanbie wrote:
There were rules for a 4-player game where you shared half your pieces with each of your neighbours and victory with one of them. That was a 4-player game by any definition, but extremely unusual.

Do share! Why were they not included in the final game? If it was an enjoyable experience for at least some people please post the rules so we can try it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gord! suggested it in the KS comments. I don't know how it playtested. I assume it was too confusing for a game that is supposed to be playable by the younger crowd. From a technical perspective, it works. I would play it at least to try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.