Marco P.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
So, after finishing my first 2 games in eldritch horror with just the base game, i wonder why most people recommend 2 instead of 3 investigators?

When i look at the investigator number card, the only thing that changes with 3 is that you get an additional monster in a monster surge and an additional clue tocken, thats it. While having another clue spawn is realy helpfull.

While the addition monster on a surge sounds bad, it realy isnt because if you have a good char vs monster, he/she will be able to just destroy both of em and have the regular encounter.

Having 3 investigators is basicaly having 50% more actions/room to move + you can make your team much more versitile.

In the last game, i had Joe Diamond focus on expeditions and gathering artefacts. Jaqueline focused on closing gates and gathering spells while Lily Chen fought most of the monsters while also closing gates.

Both times i won vs Yog-Sothoth and in my last game, the game just went balls.

It was like chuck norris itself thought Lily Chen how to fight. She killed 4-5 monster stacks at some gates, while throwing around 10+ blessed dices. All thanks to the support of Joe who supplied her with powerfull artefacts and jaqeline casting feed the mind on her.

Overall it was much more easy with 3 investigator,mainly because the same amount of gates spawn, but you have one more investigator to close em OR you can use the third investigator to just do whatever you want. On my first game, it wasnt that fun because i constantly needed both investigator just to close gates and solve mysterys/rumors. I couldnt do anything else at all.

So, why do most people play with 2 instead of 3 investigators? With 4 investigators you need to spawn 2 gates instead 1, so i consider this to be much harder than playing with 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, i don't know the actual answer but the practice of using even numbers seems to work better. I use 4 investigators when playing solo and the game is totally beatable with that number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkreaver1980 wrote:
So, after finishing my first 2 games in eldritch horror with just the base game, i wonder why most people recommend 2 instead of 3 investigators?

When i look at the investigator number card, the only thing that changes with 3 is that you get an additional monster in a monster surge and an additional clue tocken, thats it. While having another clue spawn is realy helpfull.

While the addition monster on a surge sounds bad, it realy isnt because if you have a good char vs monster, he/she will be able to just destroy both of em and have the regular encounter.

Having 3 investigators is basicaly having 50% more actions/room to move + you can make your team much more versitile.

In the last game, i had Joe Diamond focus on expeditions and gathering artefacts. Jaqueline focused on closing gates and gathering spells while Lily Chen fought most of the monsters while also closing gates.

It was like chuck norris itself thought Lily Chen how to fight. She killed 4-5 monster stacks at some gates, while throwing around 10+ blessed dices. All thanks to the support of Joe who supplied her with powerfull artefacts and jaqeline casting feed the mind on her.

Overall it was much more easy with 3 investigator,mainly because the same amount of gates spawn, but you have one more investigator to close em OR you can use the third investigator to just do whatever you want. On my first game, it wasnt that fun because i constantly needed both investigator just to close gates and solve mysterys/rumors. I couldnt do anything else at all.

So, why do most people play with 2 instead of 3 investigators? With 4 investigators you need to spawn 2 gates instead 1, so i consider this to be much harder than playing with 3.

There are many things that are based on half the number of investigators, e.g. the number of clues or eldritch tokens required to solve some mysteries. So when you go from 2 to 3 you double (fractions round up) the difficulty of these things but only have 50% extra investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignas Masilionis
United States
NYC
Queens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah round up against investigators make the game harder when playing three. For example mystery requires tokens equal to half investigators is 2 not 1. As post before mentioned difficulty might be double as hard for certain mysteries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkreaver1980 wrote:
With 4 investigators you need to spawn 2 gates instead 1, so i consider this to be much harder than playing with 3.

Minor point: You're looking at the Revised Reference Cards, which I use and endorse but many players ignore. With the original Reference Cards, most folks agree that 4 is the optimal number of Investigators.

The revision doesn't change 2 or 3 Players, so it's not a big deal for your actual question, but be aware that your last comment won't make sense to everyone, and people saying "4" are probably not using that recommended but optional variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkreaver1980 wrote:

Why are you comparing a standard difficulty card with a tentacle difficulty card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkreaver1980 wrote:

With the original reference cards, 1-2 investigators gives you 1 gate, 1 monster each surge, 1 clue, and 3-4 investigators gives you 1 gate, 2 monsters, 2 clues.

So even number of investigators is just as easy as odd number, but with one extra investigator. Hence 4 is easier than 3, and 2 is easier than 1.

The revised reference cards are meant to make the 4 investigator game harder, partly because of power creep from expansions (e.g. introduction of focus action, some more powerful tasks, assets, investigators)

I usually play with 4 using the original reference cards. Just like playing with 3, but having 1 extra investigator. With 2 investigators, solving rumours and mysteries is a lot easier (needing less clues etc.) but covering the board is harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, this game is unplayable with just 2 investigators. 4 is the ideal option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco P.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Funny, so far i played 3 times with 2 investigators and won every single time. And i realy made sure that im playing correctly

played 2 times vs Yog-Sothoth and one time vs Azathoth.

Vs Azatoth one investigator got devored, had 6 doom tockens left on the track and about 5 mythos cards and all 2 investigators in good shape.

And this with a realy bad combination of a rumor (mystic lights, closing gates impossible) combined with a mystic card of "Close a gate and spend clues"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sindriss wrote:
Why are you comparing a standard difficulty card with a tentacle difficulty card?

If you look at the Revised Reference Cards on the current FAQ, they are all printed together along with the unchanged ones (like Two and Three) with no snowflakes or tentacles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkreaver1980 wrote:
Funny, so far i played 3 times with 2 investigators and won every single time. And i realy made sure that im playing correctly

Vs Azatoth one investigator got devored, had 6 doom tockens left on the track and about 5 mythos cards and all 2 investigators in good shape.

And this with a realy bad combination of a rumor (mystic lights, closing gates impossible) combined with a mystic card of "Close a gate and spend clues"

It is possible you made some rules error that worked in your favor. For example, a common rules mistake for players that are used to Arkham Horror, is to stack the bonuses from weapons and the bonuses from Allies. In this game, bonuses don't stack regardless of where they come from. You get the highest bonus to each skill.
A few assets give you "additional dice" that do stack but are fairly rare.

That said, Yog Sothoth is the easiest AOO to play against, in the base game.
Azathoth can be nasty if you are unlucky (there are some encounters that add extra eldritch token on the green space and really speed up doom).

But maybe you are just really good at this sort of games. If you play well, you should win more often than not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
Sindriss wrote:

If you look at the Revised Reference Cards on the current FAQ, they are all printed together along with the unchanged ones (like Two and Three) with no snowflakes or tentacles.

What this one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sindriss wrote:
Esgaldil wrote:
Sindriss wrote:

What this one?

I was looking at this one, just because I had it bookmarked, but I guess it's been out of date for about a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Eater
msg tools
nobody82b wrote:
Darkreaver1980 wrote:

It is possible you made some rules error that worked in your favor. For example, a common rules mistake for players that are used to Arkham Horror, is to stack the bonuses from weapons and the bonuses from Allies. In this game, bonuses don't stack regardless of where they come from. You get the highest bonus to each skill.
A few assets give you "additional dice" that do stack but are fairly rare.

That said, Yog Sothoth is the easiest AOO to play against, in the base game.
Azathoth can be nasty if you are unlucky (there are some encounters that add extra eldritch token on the green space and really speed up doom).

But maybe you are just really good at this sort of games. If you play well, you should win more often than not.

I play solo with 2 characters pretty often and the game is very winnable with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wooden Meeple Eater wrote:

I play solo with 2 characters pretty often and the game is very winnable with 2.

I know. But I'd expect a new player to lose 1-2 of his first 3 games (assuming they play without any rules mistakes, and given that they wouldn't really know all the ins and outs of the game yet)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Roux Van Der Vyver
msg tools
mb
nobody82b wrote:
I'd expect a new player to lose 1-2 of his first 3 games

Excuse me good sir! I lost all 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mr mr
msg tools
mb
hello,
I've just bought this game. In the little reference cards 3 and 4 players bothe have 1 gate, 2 clues and 2 monsters in surge.

Does this mean I've been sold an old copy? I only got it in December 2016.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chucklepie wrote:
hello,
I've just bought this game. In the little reference cards 3 and 4 players bothe have 1 gate, 2 clues and 2 monsters in surge.

Does this mean I've been sold an old copy? I only got it in December 2016.

They still make them like that, because the Revised Reference Cards are considered optional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no revised reference cards. The faq includes variant cards for people who would like an easier or more difficult game. The reason for pointing this out is revision implies correcting an error which is not the case here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sindriss wrote:
There are no revised reference cards. The faq includes variant cards for people who would like an easier or more difficult game. The reason for pointing this out is revision implies correcting an error which is not the case here.

Well, these "variant" cards were presented as errata at first, and some feel that they should be errata, as you can hardly argue with making 1p/3p/5p games easier than they are in the base game.

The main issue is with 4p games, as 2 gates makes it much harder. Unfortunately most people play 4p, and using Revised Reference Cards with 4p really makes things very difficult (especially with Cthulhu), so there is an argument to be made for considering that a hard variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markino wrote:
some feel that they should be errata, as you can hardly argue with making 1p/3p/5p games easier than they are in the base game.

People can feel however they want, that's why we have rules to clarify these things.

Between the normal, easy and difficult reference cards most people should be able to find one that works for them, and if not they are always welcome to house rule.

The only reason I bring up this distinction is to avoid confusion like the post above who was concerned about having an old version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obvious solution that fixes this all, play with 8. I played with 2 for a while, then 3, and eventually moved up to 4. I realized the narrative increases dramatically with more characters (so many more interactions) so I moved up to 6. Finally, I bit the bullet, cleared the table space and went for 8. I am NEVER going back.

Three quick notes. First, I exclusively play solo. Second, I use permadeath. If a character dies there is no replacement. Third, I almost always use a sideboard, sometimes both of them, in about a week I'm hoping to try with 3 sideboards.

Try it yourself, get hooked, and gift me some geek gold for this brilliant advice (sarcasm only partial).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Huger wrote:
Obvious solution that fixes this all, play with 8. I played with 2 for a while, then 3, and eventually moved up to 4. I realized the narrative increases dramatically with more characters (so many more interactions) so I moved up to 6. Finally, I bit the bullet, cleared the table space and went for 8. I am NEVER going back.

Three quick notes. First, I exclusively play solo. Second, I use permadeath. If a character dies there is no replacement. Third, I almost always use a sideboard, sometimes both of them, in about a week I'm hoping to try with 3 sideboards.

Try it yourself, get hooked, and gift me some geek gold for this brilliant advice (sarcasm only partial).

Doesn't that take like three days?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
Huger wrote:

Doesn't that take like three days?

I think you meant to say. "Doesn't that take like three days!!!!"

And yes, it takes quite a while, who doesn't want more of a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PXR5
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkreaver1980 wrote:
So, after finishing my first 2 games in eldritch horror with just the base game, i wonder why most people recommend 2 instead of 3 investigators?....

As a rather inept but enthusiastic player of Eldritch Horror with a focus on the stories that are told I would say go with your instinct. I play sometimes with my wife and that's 2 investigators. She's seen off Azathoth practically by herself. I play quite a few solo games, started with 2, went to 3 for a while and ended up with 4 when I got good enough at the game, I find 4 solo gives you a lot of options, which is exactly why I started with 2. 8-)

Finally I play occasionally with 3 other experienced games players where we have quite a dismal record (1 win out of 3), although I think we have had some unlucky dice rolls quite a few times. As is often the case with this game we are looking forward to the next time.

If your focus is on making the machine work for you in the so-called heavy Euro-style then you will have to look at which startup cards you want, the originals or the revised or insane ones. Get a spreadsheet going or perhaps you have a great mind however there are so many moving parts in this game I just give myself over to it.

In the end, if there are 3 of us, we would play with 3, there are just usually 4 or 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.