3 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Federation vs. Romulan rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
david wood
msg tools
mbmb
I must admit that I love playing the Federation. Unfortunately, the Romulan mining fleet can be overpowering at times. I would like (appreciate) any sound strategy tips (advice) for crushing them. The 2 extra production each turn can be devastating, especially in the early game. I repeat, any sound strategy tips / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dwood9999 wrote:
I must admit that I love playing the Federation. Unfortunately, the Romulan mining fleet can be overpowering at times. I would like (appreciate) any sound strategy tips (advice) for crushing them. The 2 extra production each turn can be devastating, especially in the early game. I repeat, any sound strategy tips / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Well if its specifically the Mining Fleet that is OP for you, the obvious strategy is to take it out.

Either form a Battle Fleet of 6 ships and charge it right at them to shut it down, or make your third player recognise the threat of the +2 Production they are earning and have THEM take the Mining Fleet out.

I do ask - how do you find it devistating? For their Mining Fleet to be worthwhile, they have to:

1) Spend 3-4 Production to build the Fleet*
2) Spend 2 Commands to Warp to the system which HAS to be a Phenomena or an Undeveloped World (cannot be used on anything else)
3) Spend 1 Command each time to reap its Mining Rewards

*: This means for that fleet to be profitable, it has to last 2-3 turns to gain the production it needs to buy itself back. If it is destroyed in this time, the Roumlans lose out economicly.

Hopefully this helps. Give me more info and I'll be able to give you more advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hardy
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
I have never found the Mining Fleet to make any difference. Once trading begins (usually well before the Mining Fleet can even be launched), its effects swamp the M.F., especially since commands, at that early stage, are more crucially used for exploration, which is necessary for your survival. The M.F. does have a modest value if the Romulans fall behind in discovering systems with production sites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.