Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
65 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: I'm sorry rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just thought I should apologize for what's been happening. A lot of Christians have said and done some hateful things. I've done a few myself (but hopefully not on this sire -- If I have, I'm sorry for that too). Even though I haven't been saying or doing the hateful things on this site, it upsets me because I am a Christian and it affects me. So I'm apologizing for all the Christians that have said or done things that have offended you. I'm so very sorry.

P.S. I'm totally serious about this and am not being sarcastic in any way.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While this would seem the "Christian" thing to do, it only strengthens the "all them Christians are the same" mentality which starts these problems in the first place.

There is no need to apologize for other people just because they share the same belief subset you do. It is the lack of individuality that leads to broad and usually incorrect stereotyping. While it can easily be understood that you may be ashamed to see those of your faith acting less than paragon, there is certainly no need to apologize for them. In truth until an individual apologizes for the actions they themselves are responsible for, there is little chance that they are sorry at all.

But a nice sentiment all the same.
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry too. I'm not sorry for anything that I did, I'm just generically sorry. I think most of the people in the world, Christian or otherwise, are a pretty sorry bunch. I'm sorry I ever played Sorry, and I'm sorry now for saying that I wasn't sorry for anything I did, and then contradicting myself by saying what I did about Sorry. I'm sorry that I don't really care much about contradictions, because contradictions are as much a part of human evolution as mitosis. I'm sorry that mitosis sounds so much like halitosis to so many people. I'm sorry that Hayley Mills was probably called Hayley Tosis by snotty people back in the day. Girl I'm sorry I was blind. I'm sorry for the way things are in China. I'm sorry things ain't what they used to be. I'm sorry that my clothing isn't as stylish as it could be. I'm sorry that Grognads doesn't get enough "thumbs" to satisfy his carnal bent. I'm sorry that people feel compelled to complain about that which doesn't matter. I'm sorry that nothing matters. I'm sorry that we are all going to die. Actually I'm not sorry about that.
21 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who have trespassed against us.


This is the heart of the matter for Christians. This is from the prayer that Our Lord gave us. Usually referred to as the Lord's Prayer, often as simply the "Our Father."

The most frequently recited prayer that Christians recite invokes God to forgive us only to the degree that we forgive others. Forgiveness of others is not only essential for salvation, it so happens that it also contributes to greater happiness and mental health.

Quote:
You keep carryin' that anger, it'll eat you up inside.


So sang Texan Don Henley.

So I ask all that I have offended to forgive me, and I ask God to forgive me whenever I ask him to forgive others and pray that they forgive me.

My pride and arrogance often will get in the way of this truth, so I pray that their blinding power is diminished by God's grace.

Only then can I truly move on.

Gg
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll never be president by being sorry. Being sorry means you're not always right or that the groups you are part of aren't always right. Admitting to being wrong, ever, is a sign of weakness.

Never let facts interfere with reality!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You are awesome.

I'm sorry that your beliefs are constantly belittled.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Avatar
Apology accepted.

Don't let me catch you doing it again.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After looking at your recent posts I'm not exactly sure what you've done that would require an apology. You civily engaged in an debate of an inflammtory nature. Are you sorry that you weren't a rude a**hole? Pehaps you feel bad because you were feeling a bit angry as you typed your posts in response to some of the other rude thngs being typed? That's completely understandable that'd you would be angry and very humble of you to apologize for it.

As far as apologizing for others, well that's hardly necessary and really has no validity unless those who you are speaking for truly are sorry. It would be just like if I apologized for all of the smug, arrogant bastards who have no faith and like to kick around people who do.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In truth until an individual apologizes for the actions they themselves are responsible for, there is little chance that they are sorry at all.


Truer words -- and as I'm one argumentative cuss still participating in these threads, you have nothing to apologize for, Jonathan. I didn't see you say anything hateful, at any rate.

Surely your wounded psyche over the behavior of some of your brethren is the mark of someone more interested in plowshares than swords. I sometimes wince over the condescending tone taken by other atheists, but that's on them, just as we are all individually judged by our character.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologising is one thing, and I welcome it so far as it goes.

Actually confronting the hateful behaviour and trying to get the miscreants to see the error of their ways is another. Unfortunately I'm already too deep in to have any chance of reaching them, but anyone who thinks he might be able to could have a go, via private messages if that is what it takes.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Apologising is one thing, and I welcome it so far as it goes.

Actually confronting the hateful behaviour and trying to get the miscreants to see the error of their ways is another. Unfortunately I'm already too deep in to have any chance of reaching them, but anyone who thinks he might be able to could have a go, via private messages if that is what it takes.


Funny thing is that Philip an I are on opposite ends regarding at least one topic yet I agree 100% with his statement. There is nothing wrong with a good debate on any topic, even religion. And debates by nature are highly competative. After all, the goal of any debate is to convince someone else that you are correct and/or that they are wrong. I think anyone that takes things too personal in a debate should not be involved in one, especially an online one. Typed messages always come off ruder and harsher than they intended to be. And in a debate, where you are trying to make the other side's arguments look inferior (again nothing wrong with this) messages can come off very rude, almost to the point of insulting.

When someone types a statement to the effect of "You are in error." or "Your facts don't add up." people tend to take them as insults. In reality, they are logical summaries of the author's reasoning. Whether the reasoning behind the statement is valid or not is beside the point. If you believe the reasoning is invalid then make a logical argument against it. Quote the parts you have problems with and provide evidence and make logical conclusions as to why you believe they are in error with their conclusion.

The key is to not take conflicting arguments personally. Philip and I got into a good one recently but I bear no ill will towards him and I hope he bears none to me. We just have two different ideas on a certain topic. I'm sure he's a nice guy. If we were both at a convention and he sat down for a game I was at, I'd welcome him, shake his hand, and talk about something else. If the only friends you have are those that agree with you 100% on every issue then you probably have a very, very short list of friends.

Now when someone takes an argument and replys with a message that can be summed up as "That's a bunch of BS." with no evidence or logical conclusions or "You are a ______" that turns an honest debate into something else.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Personally, I really wish we didn't have microbadges for religious or political views. I think it's asking for trouble. But Aldie (despite what people think) listens to you silly users and gives you what you ask for, despite the fact that you have no friggin' idea what you're askin' for.

sauron

I remain convinced that benevolent dictatorship is still the best form of government.

That and I LOVED Crankypant's post.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
Avatar
mbmbmb
Jon: you're a stand up dude who has naught to apologise for. Keep on truckin'.

Derk: I'm not sure we're reading the same BGG, but I give you my blessing to continue truckin' also.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmb
derk wrote:
Personally, I really wish we didn't have microbadges for religious or political views. I think it's asking for trouble. But Aldie (despite what people think) listens to you silly users and gives you what you ask for, despite the fact that you have no friggin' idea what you're askin' for.

sauron

I remain convinced that benevolent dictatorship is still the best form of government.

That and I LOVED Crankypant's post.


I made the religious Microbadges just too see people pop a vessel arguing about them. I never figured they would have gotten through the system to begin. But I guess my evil plan worked.


Bwahahahahaha! Bwahahahahahahahah. Bwahahahahahahah.....
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
I just thought I should apologize for what's been happening. A lot of Christians have said and done some hateful things. I've done a few myself (but hopefully not on this sire -- If I have, I'm sorry for that too). Even though I haven't been saying or doing the hateful things on this site, it upsets me because I am a Christian and it affects me. So I'm apologizing for all the Christians that have said or done things that have offended you. I'm so very sorry.

P.S. I'm totally serious about this and am not being sarcastic in any way.


Bravo! I've apologized in the past for being suckered into arguments on BGG by those who oppose Christianity (the lure of anger and the desire to "win" an argument are just as strong for Christians as for non-Christians), and I think it takes more courage and shows more class to do what you've done than those who take this as an opportunity to take another poke (whether pro- or anti-religion). Perhaps they will someday realize that we really do want to include them in something eternal and significant.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
swandive78 wrote:

Bravo! I've apologized in the past for being suckered into arguments on BGG by those who oppose Christianity (the lure of anger and the desire to "win" an argument are just as strong for Christians as for non-Christians), and I think it takes more courage and shows more class to do what you've done than those who take this as an opportunity to take another poke (whether pro- or anti-religion). Perhaps they will someday realize that we really do want to include them in something eternal and significant.


Interesting terminology--you were "suckered" into arguments. Apparently that makes you a (possibly former) sucker, by some definition of that term. Frank admissions of that sort may eventually cause you to reexamine what you consider to be both eternal and significant. I know that when a self-professed sucker comes to me and tries to include me in anything, I am both wary and amused.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. Almost, but no cigar, "MisterCranky."

You're good at instigation, but I'm not going to get drawn into name-calling or rudeness.

You've said more about yourself than I could say.

Edited for content.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You keep telling me this as though you think I don't know it. Does it somehow seem to you that I'm trying to tell you anything about yourself? Don't worry, it's a rhetorical question and not designed to get you to respond at all. In case it's not clear, I don't post anything in the hopes of a response from you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
derk wrote:
Aldie ... listens to you silly users and gives you what you ask for, despite the fact that you have no friggin' idea what you're askin' for.




When the gods wish to punish us, they grant our wishes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting post, if a bit 'American'.
Sorry is an emotion. Saying sorry is only relevent to your own actions, aside from indicating sympathy, it doesn't otherwise 'do' anything to repair someone else's wrongdoing. If you are taking that on yourself, however, then as a Christian it would be fitting to undertake an apology regarding all the nastiness committed by non-christians. It's the Christian thing to do!
While we're at it, any chance of an apology for the actions of your fake-Christian President? It's the thought that counts.
Yours, in Christ, Alan.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
misteralan wrote:
Interesting post, if a bit 'American'.
Sorry is an emotion. Saying sorry is only relevent to your own actions, aside from indicating sympathy, it doesn't otherwise 'do' anything to repair someone else's wrongdoing. If you are taking that on yourself, however, then as a Christian it would be fitting to undertake an apology regarding all the nastiness committed by non-christians. It's the Christian thing to do!
While we're at it, any chance of an apology for the actions of your fake-Christian President? It's the thought that counts.
Yours, in Christ, Alan.


Hi Alan!

I am sorry for all the hateful things done by any person, whether Christian or not. However, I was specifically apologizing for what Christians have done because I have one of those Christian microbadges.

And I do apologize for our president. Man, has he done some hateful things!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
misteralan wrote:
While we're at it, any chance of an apology for the actions of your fake-Christian President?


Hey, I'll apologize for W. if you apologize for: The Spice Girls, Simon Cowell, and Mincemeat Pie.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Sorry is an emotion


Actually Sorry!! is a game.



Really just a roll and move kind of thing. Not much strategy, though some versions have halfway decent components. It's more of a kids game, but I wasn't in to it so much. I thought I'd introduce my kids to it at some point, but there are so many better kids games made by HABA and Ravensberger...

Oops! My bad. I thought we were talking about board games. Boardgamegeek and all. I'll just go back to posting my thrift finds....shake

Edit: Jon is a great and very sincere dude...Just trying to lighten things up a little around here...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Actually Sorry!! is a game.
Really just a roll and move kind of thing.

You mean, that kind of roll and move game, without any dice.
Movement is by card. I think all cards allow for a different option other than plain move the number of spaces indicated, so there a decisions, not always obvious ones when you are 7! meeple
For a pre WWII game this is impressive, although the graphics have been embarrassingly childish (aimed at 5yr olds?) since the 70s, unless things have changed recently.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Hey, I'll apologize for W. if you apologize for: The Spice Girls, Simon Cowell, and Mincemeat Pie


I wasn't aware they had produced as impressive a body count.soblue
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.