Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Friday» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john dean
msg tools
I am not sure if this particular problem has been raised. I was playing the game on level 2 and I was fighting the 1st pirate with the instruction of "fight against the all remaining hazard cards". All the remaining red hazard points on the remaining undefeated hazard cards added up to 49 and the number of free fighting cards I can draw for the fight was 17. So I played, drawing 17 free fighting cards. After using most of the special abilities on the 17 free fighting cards and the new ones I exchanged or drew from the Robinson pile, I had no more Robinson cards left except for the ones discarded. I was getting read to reshuffle the discarded Robinson cards along with an aging card when I realized that all the remaining Robinson cards had a value of 0. So no matter which cards I picked next, I could not win (I may be wrong about this). At this stage of the game, I had 40 fighting value points and 17 remaining life points. I apologize if the post was too long. Can anyone help?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jnobop wrote:
So no matter which cards I picked next, I could not win (I may be wrong about this). At this stage of the game, I had 40 fighting value points and 17 remaining life points.

47 40 is less than 49, so you failed to defeat the pirates; therefore you lost. Sorry!

I'm not sure what's unclear about that.

----

Edited to correct 47 to 40. The main point remains.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john dean
msg tools
Thank you for your quick reply. I suspected that I lost but did not want to believe since I had 17 life points left!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Freedom Rider - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
To win, you'll need to take into account the strength of the pirates you will face when choosing which hazards to defeat.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If any of the 0-strength cards left in your deck gave the copy ability, you might have used it to copy an already-present double ability to double the fighting points of some previously-undoubled card.

At best, this could have added 4 points to your score.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah Foster
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
russ wrote:
jnobop wrote:
So no matter which cards I picked next, I could not win (I may be wrong about this). At this stage of the game, I had 40 fighting value points and 17 remaining life points.

47 is less than 49, so you failed to defeat the pirates; therefore you lost. Sorry!

I'm not sure what's unclear about that.


Not sure where you got 47 from but I like your logic.
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Flip5ide wrote:
russ wrote:
jnobop wrote:
So no matter which cards I picked next, I could not win (I may be wrong about this). At this stage of the game, I had 40 fighting value points and 17 remaining life points.

47 is less than 49, so you failed to defeat the pirates; therefore you lost. Sorry!

I'm not sure what's unclear about that.


Not sure where you got 47 from but I like your logic.


Heh, thanks for the correction.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
russ wrote:
Flip5ide wrote:
russ wrote:
jnobop wrote:
So no matter which cards I picked next, I could not win (I may be wrong about this). At this stage of the game, I had 40 fighting value points and 17 remaining life points.

47 is less than 49, so you failed to defeat the pirates; therefore you lost. Sorry!

I'm not sure what's unclear about that.


Not sure where you got 47 from but I like your logic.


Heh, thanks for the correction.


If the poster had a shortage of 9 = 49-40, and the rules state that you must pay with life points, in his case 17, this leaves poster with 8=17-9 life points and defeating this pirate.
Why has poster lost?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kosterix wrote:
If the poster had a shortage of 9 = 49-40, and the rules state that you must pay with life points, in his case 17, this leaves poster with 8=17-9 life points and defeating this pirate.
Why has poster lost?

If you lose a fight against a hazard, you pay life points.

But that rule doesn't apply against the pirates.

The rules say, "You must win against the pirates! You cannot decide to lose and pay with life points."

Note that, when you sacrifice life points after a fight against a hazard (not pirates), you do not defeat the hazard. Paying life points is just the cost of losing.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
gillum wrote:
kosterix wrote:
If the poster had a shortage of 9 = 49-40, and the rules state that you must pay with life points, in his case 17, this leaves poster with 8=17-9 life points and defeating this pirate.
Why has poster lost?

If you lose a fight against a hazard, you pay life points.

But that rule doesn't apply against the pirates.

The rules say, "You must win against the pirates! You cannot decide to lose and pay with life points."

Note that, when you sacrifice life points after a fight against a hazard (not pirates), you do not defeat the hazard. Paying life points is just the cost of losing.


Where in the manual does that say that?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bottom of page 7.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
gillum wrote:
Bottom of page 7.


I hate this manual. And you're right. I will use this to play Friday hopefully correct for once in a dozen times.

You must win against the pirates! = you cannot use life points like when you lost a hazard. Because you may not lose.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.