Subject: First Game of Storm Over TaierZhuang rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
June Hwang Wah
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the opportunity to finally play SoTEZ over the weekend. As I was playing solitaire, I had to make some amendments on the chit-pulls to introduce uncertainity. Each player pulled an additional chit (but total playable still remains the same.) If playing as a reactionary to the opponent, needed to roll 3-6.

I set up the KMT forces in forward defence locations. Each frontline stack was manned by 10 units with at least a 9 defence unit. Second lines were 5 units strong. Rear areas were garrisoned by 1-2 counters just to make it difficult for the Japanese to move into in case of a breakthrough.

The Japanese started by attacking south towards the area between the bridge and TaierZhuang. This allowed them to threaten both VP conditions at the same time. The armour units were strong, but could not sufficient casualty points to kill any (!) of the KMT units. They simply retreated (and then moved fresh units back into the area to replace those retreated units.) It is dangerous for the Japanese to attack out of an area without clearing it, as an adverse result will cause the units to be stranded and lost.

After several turns of desultary fighting, the Japanese have cleared only 1 row of spaces. Neither side lost any units as (1)KMT never initiated attacks, and (2)Japanese could not get high enough odds to kill anything. Then the KMT rolled reinforcements and another wave of blue units swamped onto the map, effectively ending the game, as there was no way for the Japanese to advance against double layers of 10 units, especially with infiltration in the rear areas.

Impressions:
1. Reinforcements are pivotal. Whoever gets his first is likely to win.
2. Terrain modifiers (+3 strongest and +1 weakest) seem inconsequential when compared to the steps available in a big step (10 units - 3 steps each)
3. Units are generic with very minor differences.
4. The chits were the heart of the game, and did allow for some interesting decisions to be made. I thought they are more useful to the KMT than the Japanese.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah Lau
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi JH,

Sounds interesting. Roughly how long would a game take? Would be interested to meet up to play...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Co
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

What version of the game are you playing, the Perry Moore version or the one that you can download from this website?

Are you playing the game correctly?

THe KMT can expect to get a lot of casualties, bunching up your units in front can drawn the use of deadly Japanese tactical chits such as bomber, arty etc.

Did you read the turn by turn action report I posted on this site?

I highly disagree with the Japanese chits, I think the Japanese chits are also very important, in fact I think as a whole more powerful than even the KMT chits(IJA heavy arty chit has a 10 firepower +2d6 die roll).

How are you playing the game?

However, the extra tactical chit is already included in the random events table.

The terrain modifiers are very consequential and important especially when the Japanese are using their strong Firepower chits on you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah Lau
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a game yesterday with a couple of friends. Check out my SR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.