Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Update: I've added 8 characters to the file page for anyone who would like to print them. They are the 8 characters connected to Descent 2nd ed base game. They can be found here:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/141999/error/expired/...

I see that having an extra set of combat tokens is a good opportunity to make more heroes. All that's needed are some sticker sheets. As such I've been working on making some heroes. Since I have the base game for descent I'll be starting by using these heroes (so I can use the miniatures). I think that with one extra set of tokens we could probably get about 16 heroes out of the deal (my tokens are in the mail, so not sure yet how many come with the sheet)

I've put together Syndrael (see below). I'm pretty new to GIMP photo editing, but can make something passable. I'll take ideas from this post - my own and yours! So please feel free to post your own ideas. I will also be adding a few ideas below. Feedback on ideas is welcome, but try to make it constructive. Please thumb the ideas you like. I'll attempt to make the heroes that appear to be the most interesting to play.

Caveats:
d10-1I reserve the right to choose what I will or will not make. I may take a long time to complete this project.
d10-2I may modify ideas trying to keep balance in mind, though where possible I will not adjust someone's creation.
d10-3At this point I will not use tokens that do not exist as I am basically just cutting and copying things. Limited skill at actually producing anything new.

Happy character creating!

Edit: if anyone knows the font(s) on the hero cards let me know. I've found something close enough, but I can change it pretty easily
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Necromancer

Set-up: Starts with an additional skeleton token, which he can use in combat. See Specials.
Starting location: shrine
Health: 7
Hand size: 4
Starting gold: 1
Body: 1 mind: 2 spirit: 3
Movement: 3

Specials:
1. Ley Lines: Each time you pass through a shrine you may exert to, draw two skill cards and heal one damage.
2. Sap Life: You may exert to heal life = one less than the health of your skeleton.
3. Reanimate – 1 surge. Your skeleton provides an additional token while alive and has 3 HP. Cast the token immediately upon reanimation even if it is your final combat action. Remove the combat token from play if your skeleton is defeated. When damage is being assigned your opponent chooses to attack either the skeleton or you.

Combat tokens
1. 1 surge/doubler
2. 1 agility/magic
3. 2 magic/1 defence
4. Skeleton: 1 physical/1 defence

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Halfling

Set-up: None.
Starting location: town
Health: 8
Hand size: 6
Starting gold: 4
Body: 1 mind: 1 spirit: 1

Specials
1. Robust: Halfling can exert to do one of the following. Each action requires an exertion and can be done at most once/turn: heal 1 damage (not in combat), move one hex, draw one additional asset while shopping, discard the current adventure card and get 2 gold, draw 2 skill cards.
2. Fortitude: Halfling may exert once/combat round to deal 1 physical damage.

Combat tokens
1. 1 defence/1 physical
2. 1 physical/2 defence
3. 1 agility/1 physical

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Earth Witch
Set-up: May start on any exploration gem
Starting location: Shrine
Hand size: 3
Starting gold: 0
Body: 1 mind: 2 spirit: 2

Specials
1. Naturalist: Instead of rolling move 3 hexes. Each time you enter a road, city, town or shrine take 1 damage.
2. Earthen Witchcraft: 1 Surge – Announce one of the 5 types of terrain, then explore. If the hex you are in is the type you announce add one to the result.
Plains: Place one skill card face down in front of you/success. Draw one at the end of each combat round. Deal 1 unblockable magic damage if it is a success.
Hills: Deal 1 physical damage/success
Forest: Deal 1 magic damage/success
Mountain: Flip up to as many of your own tokens as successes
Water: Flip up to as many of your opponents tokens as successes
Wild: Remove any one of your opponent’s combat tokens for the rest of combat with at least one success

Combat Tokens:
1. 1 magic/1 agility
2. 1 doubler/1 surge
3. 1 magic/1 defence

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ranger
Set-up: May move to any city location after everyone has chosen starting locations
Starting location: Town
Body: 2 mind: 2 spirit: 1

Specials:
1. Born Wild: +1 to exploration rolls
2. Tracking: Before combat begins exert to roll dice up to your movement speed one at a time. After each roll place one die adjacent to the hex you are in or in your current hex. As soon as you place a die in your current hex deal damage = the # of dice placed. You may not place more than one die in the same hex. If you cannot place a dice you fail to track.

Combat Tokens:
1. 1 physical/1 agility
2. 1 physical/1 physical
3. 1 physical/1 defence
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Master
Set-up: Start with 10 skill cards and learn any single cost cards you wish for free according to “Know How”, then discard down to your hand limit.
Starting gold: 2
Body: 2, mind: 2, spirit: 2

Specials:
1. Know How: All skills cost one less grey trophy
2. Personal Mastery: 1 Surge – Deal one damage for each skill set you have fully utilized

Combat Tokens:
1. 1 surge/1 physical
2. 1 agility/1 defence
3. 2 magic/1 physical

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drunken Warrior
Set-up: May move to any city location after everyone has chosen starting locations
Starting location: Stronghold
Health: 9
Starting gold: 0
Body: 2, mind: 0, spirit: 2

Specials
1. Performer: may exert once/turn in a city for 1 gold
2. Drunken luck: 1 surge – may recast any number of his own tokens.

Combat tokens
1. 1 defence/1 agility
2. Nothing/1 defence
3. Nothing/1 physical
4. 1 magic/1 physical
5. 1 surge/1 magic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've added 8 characters that I've created into the file section for anyone interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Tungsten
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice. Any chance you have blank hero sheet templates you could post?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
TopherMel wrote:
Master
Set-up: Start with 10 skill cards and learn any single cost cards you wish for free according to “Know How”, then discard down to your hand limit.

Specials:
2. Personal Mastery: 1 Surge – Deal one damage for each skill set you have fully utilized

Combat Tokens:
1. 1 surge/1 physical
2. 1 agility/1 defence
3. 2 magic/1 physical

Personal Mastery: Does this mean if he has the maximum strength stills acquired (starting at 3), he can inflict 1 damage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theashers wrote:
TopherMel wrote:
Master

Specials:

Combat Tokens:
1. 1 surge/1 physical
2. 1 agility/1 defence
3. 2 magic/1 physical

Personal Mastery: Does this mean if he has the maximum strength stills acquired (starting at 3), he can inflict 1 damage?

Exactly yes. If he happens to gain a strength through item or skill, then that too would have to be filled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All these archetypes can find a Descent 1E/ 2E counterpart. They don't have to remain faceless:

Necromancer - Widow Tarha/ Mage/ Second Edition Base Game/ An orc necromancer who practices in the dark arts.
Halfling - Tomble Burrowell/ Scout/ Second Edition Base Game/ A risk-taking gnome thief.
Earth Witch - Truthseer Kel/ Mage/ Stewards of the Secret/ An all-seeing sorceress.
Ranger - Jain Fairwood/ Scout/ Second Edition Base Game/ A human wildlander who had been deemed a traitor by Terrinoth.
Master - High Mage Quellen/ Mage/ Lair of the Wyrm/ An elvish geomancer considered to be a "master of body and mind."
Drunken Warrior - Grisban the Thirsty/ Warrior/ Second Edition Base Game/ A Dunwarr dwarf berserker known for his thirst of blood in battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mlai00 wrote:
All these archetypes can find a Descent 1E/ 2E counterpart. They don't have to remain faceless:

Necromancer - Widow Tarha/ Mage/ Second Edition Base Game/ An orc necromancer who practices in the dark arts.
Halfling - Tomble Burrowell/ Scout/ Second Edition Base Game/ A risk-taking gnome thief.
Earth Witch - Truthseer Kel/ Mage/ Stewards of the Secret/ An all-seeing sorceress.
Ranger - Jain Fairwood/ Scout/ Second Edition Base Game/ A human wildlander who had been deemed a traitor by Terrinoth.
Master - High Mage Quellen/ Mage/ Lair of the Wyrm/ An elvish geomancer considered to be a "master of body and mind."
Drunken Warrior - Grisban the Thirsty/ Warrior/ Second Edition Base Game/ A Dunwarr dwarf berserker known for his thirst of blood in battle.

Thanks. Not sure if you've seen but I made all 8 of the Descent 2nd edition characters playable. Check out the files section here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/141999/error/expired/...

Feedback welcome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pavlo pavlo
msg tools
mb
Druid

Set-up: No bonuses.

Specials:
1. Follow spirits: Activation of the adventure activate corresponding phantom of the animal (combat - bear, research - deer, meeting - lynx). If at the end of the adventure you have 1 phantom then he remains.
2. Incarnation: 1 zipper: phantom disappears (you lost his skill). You get apropriate token until the end of the battle.

Combat tokens
1. 1 surge/physical
2. 1 defence/magic
3. 1 physical/1 agility

3 phantom types:

1) bear
characteristics: 1, 0, 0 (added to the hero)
skill: +1 shield each round
counter: punch attack / punch attack (from expansion)

2) deer
characteristics: 0, 1, 0
skill: +1 movement die and +1 initiative
token: tactics / tactics (from expansion)

3) lynx
characteristics: 0, 0, 1
skill: flee +1 dice
counter: double / double

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pavlo pavlo
msg tools
mb
Merchant

Set-up: appears in any CITY of your choice.

Specials:
Buyer: Buys once per turn. When buying, you can see +2 top cards and buy an extra thing per action.
Caravan: on the road move 2 hex per 1 movement die. Can carry 2 more things of the same type (but only carry 1 on oneself).

Bribe: once a round make the check of Mind. You can spend 2 * x gold where x - life of "humanoid". Target "humanoid" goes to your side with 1 damage / surge token. Under your control can be 1 "humanoid". (Does not affect the boss) He can carry things from shop.

Characteristics of the hero:
Body 1, Mind 3, Spirit 1.
movement: 3 hp: 8 gold: 4

tokens:
damage / shield
double / agility
damage / tactic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martiwluwka wrote:
Druid

Set-up: No bonuses.

Specials:
1. Follow spirits: Activation of the adventure activate corresponding phantom of the animal (combat - bear, research - deer, meeting - lynx). If at the end of the adventure you have 1 phantom then he remains.
2. Incarnation: 1 zipper: phantom disappears (you lost his skill). You get apropriate token until the end of the battle.

Combat tokens
1. 1 surge/physical
2. 1 defence/magic
3. 1 physical/1 agility

3 phantom types:

1) bear
characteristics: 1, 0, 0 (added to the hero)
skill: +1 shield each round
counter: punch attack / punch attack (from expansion)

2) deer
characteristics: 0, 1, 0
skill: +1 movement die and +1 initiative
token: tactics / tactics (from expansion)

3) lynx
characteristics: 0, 0, 1
skill: flee +1 dice
counter: double / double

This hero idea seems especially interesting.
If by zipper you mean surge, its interesting that you can only get rid of a spirit in battle. Seems like there should be a different way to get or get rid of a phantom: possibly exert 1-2 cards.

I like that you are thinking outside the box with your heroes

I'm unfortunately swamped with other things and don't have time to commit to making new characters BUT if you have any skill, I can forward you my files. I use GIMP, which is a free photo editing software and I'm not very skilled, but have picked up enough to make something passable. PM me if you'd like them.

I also haven't made the expansion tokens charge and tactics.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
TopherMel wrote:
to make something passable

I disagree... playable > passable - and they are fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pavlo pavlo
msg tools
mb
Should we make topic for each of yours character for discuss them? I have some suggestions about them.

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/4387707/martiwluwka

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/4387708/martiwluwka

Ok.. I dont know how I can attach image here(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martiwluwka wrote:
Should we make topic for each of yours character for discuss them? I have some suggestions about them.

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/4387707/martiwluwka

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/4387708/martiwluwka

Ok.. I dont know how I can attach image here(

I would recommend starting a new post for your characters as it will mean more people are likely to see them. The only people who will see it here are people who have stayed subscribed to this thread from 2 years ago. As for my characters, feel free to comment on any them. The files page is where they are the most current as some of the above have changed since I made the 8 characters from Descent.

Here's how you add in an image: you need to know the image # and put that number along with square parentheses and "imageid=..." Your image would need these around it [], with the following in between imageid=4387707

Here's your image. If you quick quote this post you'll be able to see how its done. You can find the image number below and to the right of the image in your gallery:

I hope that makes sense!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pavlo pavlo
msg tools
mb
Oh! Thanks! Lets try.

I think this picture Is more theme support for your Leoric of the Earth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree and think its a better pic than the one I have. However I used the pictures from all the Descent character sheets since I have the minis for them

And nice work! You got it figured out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pavlo pavlo
msg tools
mb
Some questions

Should we give Grisban opportunity use Rage more than once per round?

Why you remove Ley Lines from Tarha? "Pay life" was good idea)

Does Born Wild is too boring ability?) It seems too consistent and synergistic.

One more ability for Syndrael?
Parry - In responce to enemy attack exert and use your "damage" on weapon token as "defence".
And change text for Syndrael Pierce "while use weapon token"
So thematic)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martiwluwka wrote:
Some questions

Should we give Grisban opportunity use Rage more than once per round?

I think it would make him too strong. As it is I think he might be too strong based on his tokens alone. But I could always look at changing the tokens and therefore how Rage works.

martiwluwka wrote:
Why you remove Ley Lines from Tarha? "Pay life" was good idea)

Pay life is a neat idea, but it seems like characters get a maximum of 2 abilities, so I decided to cut that one. Maybe you've got an idea for another character to use pay life for other abilities.

martiwluwka wrote:
Does Born Wild is too boring ability?) It seems too consistent and synergistic.

Too consistent... likely.
Too synergistic?... Not sure how as you're stuck at 3 movement max. It's a good start, but because you can't get anymore movement, then characters who get 4 or 5 dice are in a better spot for movement. AND it also means getting more exploration ability is nerfed slightly, but makes his other ability "Earthcraft" stronger. I'm still not sure though if he's a bit underpowered compared to other characters. Possibly. Great flexibility in combat and consistency in movement.

martiwluwka wrote:
One more ability for Syndrael?
Parry - In responce to enemy attack exert and use your "damage" on weapon token as "defence".
And change text for Syndrael Pierce "while use weapon token"
So thematic)

I think it is an interesting idea to have to use a weapon token to use Pierce, but makes getting the combo more difficult. That being said if you get 2 weapons it shouldn't be too hard if you also get a surge, so I do like it. I'm assuming that's what you mean. Essentially ability would read like this:

Pierce: Use a weapon token's attack and you may move an opponent's defence token to their spent pile. They take one additional physical damage.

I do like that

Thanks for the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pavlo pavlo
msg tools
mb
I mean that Born Wild:

Born Wild: +1 to exploration rolls
Tracking: Before combat begins exert to roll dice up to your movement speed one at a time. After each roll place one die adjacent to the hex you are in or in your current hex. As soon as you place a die in your current hex deal damage = the # of dice placed. You may not place more than one die in the same hex. If you cannot place a dice you fail to track.

About Syndrael, taking into account what you said about 2 abilities, what if we take of surge and damage like that:

Pierce/Parry: Exert and use a weapon token's attack to move an opponent's defence token to their spent pile OR to use weapon token as "defence".

Which describes different tactics of fighting.

Have you test your characters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes, sorry I assumed bare foot not born wild. My bad.

I have tested this character once. She was very "swingy". Either you end up dealing a significant amount of damage at the beginning or you fail to and don't have great tokens to make up the difference... I also found that fighting bosses it not not amazing, it could do some significant damage, but its risky and you only get one shot...

I do like the idea of Pierce or Parry. Pierce is much stronger, but Parry could be useful. I haven't tested Syndrael or many characters for that matter! I don't get to play this one enough

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.