Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Lee
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been surfing around the site and I am totally intrigued by dice towers. It is so true that one of the most annoying things during my gaming sessions are dice that fall off the table. Another annoying thing is having to roll dice in ugly box lids that get passed around the table. The sides of the box lids are so high that its sometimes hard to see the roll results.

SO... I'm really considering purchasing 2 dice towers or perhaps dice trays. Does anyone have any good recommendations for where to buy these and what a fair price would be? I've seem some well made wooden ones as well as some cheap ones plastic ones on amazon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Vixen Tor Games has nice towers for a resonable price. Check out their webside - it's the companies name + .com.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

BTW: Or build your own - it's easier than you think. My wife made 2 for me - custom made the way I wanted them to look including a great paint-job from one of my favourite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Mike!

Dice towers are great!!!! There are a few sites in which to get these!! I prefer wood over clanking plastic!

Here are a few sites of interest:

http://www.vixentorgames.com/

http://www.io.com/~beckerdo/games/articles/DiceTower.html

http://www.geocities.com/crosstowngames/dicetower.html Seems they are not taking ordders....but do have plans to make one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Haglund
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually made one myself on impulse yesterday, it's really quite easy if you just have a clear idea of what you want it to look like in the end. Look here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/169471
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Cormier
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have Legos in your house, you could always build your own. The plus side is that you can use whichever colors you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lee
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow - very interesting ideas. Any idea how long it would take to make one? Perhaps I should go pick up some wood at the lumber store today =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legos!

I made this a year ago and I still use it all the time. My game group loves it. I'm having the itch to pull it apart and create a Mark II version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Games, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also like to recommend VixenTor. I have heard so much positive feedback on game forums from people who own these dice towers. I don't think you can go wrong there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's got its detractors, but I love my little Dice Boot!

Compact, see-through, breaks down and transports flat. I think it's an ingenious little device.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
blindspot wrote:
I've got the Dice Boot too, and it is nice and portable. I'm going to try and make my own out of clay at some point too. I like the idea of combining dice towers with dice trays so as to have the option of rolling your own or letting gravity do the work for you...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
I also really like VixenTor dice towers. I've used a few of them and they are really great.

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mbmbmbmbmb
TJGames has a paper dice tower that holds up pretty well. It's inexpensive, and portable, but it doesn't have the klunky sound of the dice falling through the tower that most people like.

http://tjgames.com/tower.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard good things about both of the following sources, which you may want to consider:

http://www.geocities.com/homiefud/
http://www.geocities.com/crosstowngames/dicetower.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
TJGames has a paper dice tower that holds up pretty well.

Brilliant! You would think with all the cardboard produced by these game companies that one of them would at some point have tried adding some value to a nice game by simply including a punch-out constructible dice tower like the Dice boot. But I've never seen it. Cardboard works for the cube tower in Wallenstein/Shogun, why not for dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Looking for a Publisher for a Grand Strategic all fronts WW2 card game
mbmbmbmbmb
As I planned to make my own dice tower, my wife came back from a garage sale not knowing of my intentions. She brought back THE INVENTOR old game for 50 cents.

THERE IS A NICE DICE TOWER WITH A BELL in this game. Any size of dice and they can be accumulated on top as you activate it to make them fall in one shot. WOW

GOD is on my side!!kiss

Owll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blindspot wrote:

Brilliant! You would think with all the cardboard produced by these game companies that one of them would at some point have tried adding some value to a nice game by simply including a punch-out constructible dice tower like the Dice boot. But I've never seen it. Cardboard works for the cube tower in Wallenstein/Shogun, why not for dice?

Dragonland by Knizia has done this. It even comes with a short history about dice towers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob F
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thommy8 wrote:
I've heard good things about both of the following sources, which you may want to consider:

http://www.geocities.com/homiefud/
http://www.geocities.com/crosstowngames/dicetower.html

If anyone is wanting a Crosstown Games Dice Tower I've cut out a handful of towers and will be assembling them soon. I will be selling them cheaper than I have previously from the website due to getting the bug last week to build some and still wanting to remain in "retirement". If anyone has interest in purchasing a tower feel free to PM me and we can work something out.

Thanks!

rob
www.geocities.com/crosstowngames

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lee
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Relax wrote:
blindspot wrote:
I've got the Dice Boot too, and it is nice and portable. I'm going to try and make my own out of clay at some point too. I like the idea of combining dice towers with dice trays so as to have the option of rolling your own or letting gravity do the work for you...

Well I saw these on amazon but aren't they too loud? Plus to me they look a little cheap. I think I'd prefer the wooden kind with the felt lining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Yope
United States
Saint Clair
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Here are a couple of examples of the towers that I make.

I will be at Origins and WBC with copies for sale.

I also send them through the mail to those who request them. Payment by check or paypal.

Small one- $20
Larger one- $25

Plus whatever shipping is applicable.

Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will also indorse the greatness that is a Dice Boot, not to be confused with Das Boot shake

Mine was used just yesterday when I and my grandchildren played Cloud 9. It assembles quickly, and like any dice tower, adds to the gameplay experience.

It works better if it is placed on a piece of felt. I keep a rectangle of green felt with the game which serves to eliminate the possibility of dice bouncing out of the boot, which happens too often on a hard surface. The felt absorbs just enough energy so that the dice stay in das boot, I mean the boot.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sakdar, that lego Dice Tower is Sweet. Gonna raid the parents attic to find my old lego collection I think...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Lindsey
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I would recommend VixenTor for all your dice tower needs. I have four of them and my entire family LOVES them. They are crafted with care and they look fantastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeyMike79 wrote:
Relax wrote:
blindspot wrote:

Well I saw these on amazon but aren't they too loud? Plus to me they look a little cheap. I think I'd prefer the wooden kind with the felt lining.
Compared to the smooth monte carlo glide n'clack of wood and felt, yes. But for some the sound of dice on plastic is a joyful sound!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P R
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I will also vouch for VixenTor. I have 4 towers and they all get play. They're nice and sturdy and they look great. Good price as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mike, if you want to make your own, you can download plans here:

http://www.vixentorgames.com/dicetowerdirections.pdf

There are also several plans around this site, but I'm not as familiar with them, because I didn't make them. The plans at this link are designed to work with foamcore, not wood, so you will want to adapt them if you use them for wood. One change I recommend is bevel-cutting the panels for the tower to hide the seam. It makes measuring for the inside ramps a little tricky, but it looks a lot better. You'll also want to take the tabs off the inside ramps - those are great for foamcore, but murder with wood. I really like the foamcore - it's easy to work with and makes a very sturdy tower that's still extremely lightweight.

I highly recommend making your own, especially if you can work in wood or foamcore. There's just a lot more pride in your finished piece if you're the one who put it together.

Of course, if you decide to break down and buy a dice tower from VixenTor Games, I would be hard-pressed to stop you.

Matt Drake
VixenTor Games
www.vixentorgames.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.