Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battle of Jutland – Jul/Aug 1915

Here is a quick session report of a large sea battle between British and German fleets in the North Sea.

A) Tensions are mounting in the North Sea.

During several impulses both sides kept funneling more and more fleet units into the North Sea, however neither managed a successful search roll. Finally, during the sixth (German) impulse, the British managed a one-sided search success, and engaged in a dreadnought slug-fest!

B) British and German dreadnoughts square-off!

The British use their surprise points to increase their attack-column, as well as saving 3-points for a targeting choice. The British manage a 5-1-2 result, while the German score a 2-3-2.

C) Results of the first round of naval combat…

Both decide to remain for a second round. Once again, the British manage a one-sided search success, however only include 1 dreadnought unit, and one damaged cruiser unit. Feeling outnumbered, the British avoid combat with their surprise points. The naval encounter is over… for now.

Casualties on the German side include 1 dreadnought unit sunk, 2 cruiser units sunk, and 2 dreadnought units damaged. A total of 4 built-points are lost.

D) German casualties.

The British lose 1 battlecruiser unit, and 1 cruiser unit, while 1 cruiser unit is damaged. A total of 3 built-points are lost, a slight improvement over the Germans, but still a draw.

E) British casualties.

At the end of the sixth impulse the British hold on the North Sea looks precarious!

F) Not looking too good for the British…

To be continued…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite a battle.

And holy cow, your game looks nice. So neatly clipped, and those nifty counters for 'sunk' and showing German-controlled resources and all that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
And holy cow, your game looks nice. So neatly clipped, and those nifty counters for 'sunk' and showing German-controlled resources and all that...

Yeah sometimes I think I might be going a little overboard with it... not to mention that I feel my sanity slipping away the more I play this game; I can't even imagine the amount of stress real generals must feel during a war!

Anywho... a few impulses later the Second Battle of Jutland happened:

Round one: The British start a naval combat in the North Sea, and the Germans get a one-sided search success. This time the Kaiser's dreadnoughts and light cruisers engage British dreadnoughts and submarines:

A) Start of round one.

The Germans manage to sink 1 British dreadnought unit, and 2 older battleships! The British sink 1 German light cruiser and damage another, and damage 1 dreadnought.

B) Results of round one.

Round two: Both sides decide to remain and fight-on. Once again the Germans get a one-sided search success, but this time only with their light cruisers. They decided to engage British cruisers ans sea-plane carriers in the 0-box.

C) Start of round two.

Not surprisingly the British are either sunk (1 cruiser unit), damaged (1 sea-plane carrier unit) or routed (another cruiser unit).

D) Results of round two.

Round three: The British situation has become dire, but they decide to remain for another round, and are rewarded with their own one-side search success (a large one too, 11-points). This time British dreadnoughts engage a relatively larger German force, but with the windward gauge on their side they have caught the Huns with their pants down.

E) Start of round three.

In the end British ships sink 3 German units (1 previously damaged dreadnought, 1 battlecruiser, and 1 older battleship), and damage 1 more battlecruiser. The Germans only manage to sink the British submarine unit, and damage 1 dreadnought and 1 older battleship.

F) Results of round two.

The Germans now decide to abort, leaving the British navy in control of the North Sea! But this was a Pyrrhic victory for the British, with a total of 8-point loss to the German 6-point loss; the Kaiser gains some diplomatic impetus from his defiance of the British navy with 2 political points.

G) The British retain control of the North Sea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
kubaman wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

Yeah sometimes I think I might be going a little overboard with it... not to mention that I feel my sanity slipping away the more I play this game; I can't even imagine the amount of stress real generals must feel during a war!

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannis Kadari
France
Aix en Provence
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where to find these lovelely "sunk", "aborted" and XX-controlled resources counters ? Are they home made ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yannis1971 wrote:
Are they home made ?

Yes; I did share some of them in the "files" section. I didn't do so with the naval combat markers yet; hopefully I will upload a more complete (and comprehensive) list of game markers I have used in this game, probably once I finish my first run-through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rader
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very exciting!

I think in the long run, naval attrition favors the British because Germany's morale has to be offset against more adversaries (and Britain can better afford to lose the units). So maybe a mild British strategic victory? Like the real Jutland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arader wrote:
naval attrition favors the British because Germany's morale has to be offset against more adversaries.

Indeed. The Germans already had a substantial moral-point loss due to their very costly land operations, and those 6-points from "Jutland" were a very nasty surprise! I'm not sure if the Kaiser's navy will venture back out again...

Once bitten, twice shy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannis Kadari
France
Aix en Provence
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your answer ! I can't wait to have a look to them. Great Stuff ! Congrats, and keep up the good work. And thanks for the photos you post here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Brueckner
Germany
Loerrach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for a copy of the marker file. Great job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.