Subject: Afternoon of the living dead rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henri Huttunen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As my friends cousin who lives couple of hundred miles away just came for a visit for a few weeks we thought it would be nice to break in the new guy on couple of boardgames that might suit his style...

Allow me to introduce our group first:

Miika is a trickster. He loves to make complicated plans that screw up other players plans, the trickier and more unexpected plan the better. He often moans when he has not yet quite grasped the rules and is told "You really can't do that". He likes both light- and heavy-weight games, and is really into Go, Hive and Dungeon Twister. Theme is nice but not necessary.

Simo is our hack & slasher, frontline tank and theme sucker. When playing more abstract games, like Louis XIV, he is often heard complaining about the lack of "real" theme, lack of weapons and different characters, lack of nice bits... Well, you know the type. His tactics mostly focus on hitting things with all he has until the opposition or he drops. If the game is Descent, it means saying "Screw that line of sight, he doesn't have any deadly cards anyway, I'll take the chance!", if it's San Juan, it means rapidly building Indigo Plants. Games of his choice are Arkham Horror, Mall of Horror and Knizia games, like Samurai, that he complains a lot about but likes to play anyway (These games are all numbers!).

Since our third main player, Lauri, is absent, I'll make a note about Harri, Simo's cousin. Well. Read the entry on Simo. Harri is really his clone I think, as you'll note when you read this session report. This is his first boargame other than Monopoly and such.

And then there is me. I'm the guy who plays the Overlord, Mordor, Count Dracula, and the Zombies.

Now, after I have written all above, I really don't know why I did. I lost my point somewhere along the way. But hey, little background information can't be that bad. Let's get on with the session report! We decided on Zombie Plague since it was pretty new to all of us (Having made the whole thing last week, board and cards and all...) and since it was right down Simo/Harri alley.

cool angry

After a desperate flight from the city center, our heroes entered the nice and quiet front lawn of an relatively safe-looking house. Lonely moans of one Zombie, soon to be joined by three others of its rotten kind could be heard from the backyard. After a short discussion, Harri follows in Miikas footsteps towards the front door, as Simo, not willing to be "zombified with the other two fools" avoids the house, wich is, according to him, "the main target of the Zombies", and heads toward the car trunk, hoping to find something lethal and unlegal.

It could have been wise the avoid the southern edge of the board though, as couple of wandering zombies emerge from the road and throw themselves at Simo, who joins their putrid ranks immediately zombie . Oh the irony! The new zombie complains for a moment on how we "Should just start again, hey dudes, this is not funny..." until he realises that as the only smart zombie he is now the Zombie Lord, and starts speaking in a kingly voice and shambling towards the house with his new "minions" ...

Inside the house Miika heads for the kitchen as Harri quickly creates a make-shift barricade to the front door, when he is interrupted by the noice of breaking glass. Glass of the kitchen windows. So he takes a step back, tells Harri to stay in the house and search the small table near the doorways to other rooms from the living room and heads out from the side door, towards the car Simo never had the chance to search.

Harris situation takes a turn for the worse, for as he searches the table and finds a hockey stick, hordes of zombies are pushing in from the kitchen windows, the bedroom door and the living room windows, ignoring the now blocked door. By a lucky coinsidence, the next door neighbours cat pushes the bedroom door slightly, and it closes with sound of locks sliding in places. Little did it help, for the backyard zombies were already inside. At the same time outside, two zombies are moving down the alley between the carage and the house to block the side door. Noticing the dire situation and his former friend, now the Undead King, Simo, entering from one of the windows, Harri heads after Miika, smashing one Zombies head with his new found weapon on the way out. Simo does not pursue, not at least until he gets some "cannon fodder between him and the humans", and setles down on one of the living room sofas.

As Miika rummages the car trunk, finding only junk and a can of energy drink and cursing out loud, he suddenly wets under himself as he sees Harri running out of the side door of the house, followed by almost ten Zombies. Trying to hide behind the car, he watches as Harri runs for the carage, and as Zombies slowly shamble around it to block every way out. Some of them enter from the carage side door, and the huge mass starts to aproach the front door.

It looked like the end for yet one of our heroes as Harri was suddenly losing his mind for a moment and ran to the furthest corner of the carage, ready to be devoured by the undead crouded to the front door, alas, it was not yet to be. Quickly regaining his senses and rummaging the carage, Harri found some tools. Most importantly, one of these tools was the axe. Suddenly the zombies were not so sure of themselves. They started backing out of the carage, out from the reach of the man shouting phrases like "Come get it!" and "I'll cut your legs from under you!" at them with madness in his eyes and a heavy and sharp thingie in hand.

Miika, seeing his chance, ran towards the zombies from the behind, and tackled one of them to the ground, crushing it's skull. The heroes strike back! The zombies around the carage, who had formed a death trap that forced the man with the axe to get in the middle of all of them if he wanted to hit them, underestimated the blood lust of Harri and one of them had it's head lobbed off of its shoulders, and others were pushed backwards in a long line. Harri was in middle of them now, but didn't seem all that scared...

Miika on the other hand, ran circles around the huge mob of dead residents of the neighborhood, trying to hit some of the rotten guys who had their backs turned towards him, only to retreat to safety if they ever turned. In the mean time, Simo the Zombie Lord, resting inside the house protected by his trusty bodyguard, the Skeleton, decided that the time was ripe and started to shamble to the side door to join the fray...

For a moment it looked like the Zombies and the two heroes were even matched. Then, a disaster struck! The axe handle broke, leaving Harri weaponless, and the zombies rejoiced. Led by Simo, who had emerged from the house, the quickly surrounded Miika in a matter of... minutes, and as Harri quickly ran away from the scene towards the car, it seemed victory was certain for the Undead Overlord. Miika took one of the mindless servants of evil down for good and ran to the carrage, pursued by just a little short of ten zombies, surrounding him from every side. Searching the mess Harri left he managed to find... A Grenade! However, this was of no help, since, knowing Miikas weakness for perfectionism, the Zombie Lord Simo ordered his minions to spread out, so Miika could never have got more than three of them in one blast... Much too little for him! He fought the zombie invaders one by one in the corner of the carage, but as close combat was never his forte, he just managed to trip himself over the same gardening hose a couple of times in a row...

... At the same time Harri, pursued only by measly two zombies, got to the trunk and found underneath the litter a Walkie Talkie. He immediately tried to contact Miika, but insted of his friends voice he just heard endless Zombie moans and sounds of flesh being eaten hastily zombie . Now alone, Harri started running towards the empty main house, couple of zombies hot on his tail. However, the situation quickly changed, as when he got to the front door, the masses that did in poor Miika were now flooding in from the side door. Harri ran towards the bedroom and started searching the closet for anything that could be used as a weapon. This is what really did it for him. As he searched through the piles of dirty clothes, he heard new voices down the hallway, and thought he must have awoken a dead resident. In addition to this, he soon noticed that a new zombie had arisen from the ground outside the room. He started emiting a strong scent of fear and desperation, which, not going unnoticed by the zombies, got them almost running towards him...

As Harri finaly found a screwdriver from the closet, he noticed that he was royally screwed. The house was flooded with zombies, all after his brains! As the first of the mindless undead entered the bedroom, he made his choice and ran towards the locked door to the backyard. When he finaly forced it open, the zombies were right on his heels. He ran out, took a quick turn to the left, and saw... A familiar looking zombie with a grenade in it's hand, right in front of him.

Harri did not even have time to say his prayers. zombie

zombie zombie zombie

So, what more is there to say? We had a blast, even Simo, who bit the dust on the second turn (after he really got to the "Zombie Lord" drive, menacing the other two hero players all the time...)! Zombie Plague may not be our groups all time favorite, but it's really light, random, doesn't take long to play and makes for great stories! Now if I only knew how to make a more proper board instead of this paper-glue-and-cardboard version... Well, the (rather pricy) minis that I got for the game make up for it a bit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report! I really need to get around to building a copy of this and get my gaming group to give it a try! zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwanchai Moriya
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.