Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
MENTE, MANU ET INSTRUMENTUM
mbmbmbmbmb
I see in the rules where it says a player must take his actions during his action turn. I take this to mean that in the case of a situation where a player is in a defensive position and waiting for the enemy to come closer, that he cannot simply pass his action turn. If, for example, he has several units in opfire mode and every unit has no LOS, he must take his actions even if only to take fatigue actions. He may well have to fatigue units in opfire mode who he knows might have a chance to fire later in the round because he has to do something. A player cannot say to his opponent, "I'm doing nothing; go ahead and take your action turn". Do I have this right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, you cannot fatigue units in Op Fire mode - they stay in op fire mode until they are pinned/disrupted or they take their attack.

You are correct though that you cannot "pass" on your action turn if you have fresh units (ie unfatigued units not in Op Fire mode). You can however declare that you will not be taking any more actions for the game round (thereby effectively "passing" for the rest of the Action Phase).

--- RFC ---
2 3 3

Edit: I added that first point to the collected errata page. (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/168960)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, got it. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But is there any reason not to put units in Op Fire mode if they are otherwise doing nothing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Maddening
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure; if something happens that you don't anticipate, you want to be able to react quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
But is there any reason not to put units in Op Fire mode if they are otherwise doing nothing?

Yes, lots of reasons. You lose the flexibility to move them to fill a gap in your line. Or to withdraw them out of the line of fire of a heavy enemy force. Or to counter-assault against enemy units that approach your lines. Or to fire at a non-moving enemy unit if the enemy responds to your op-fire selection by avoiding any movement in that area. And so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But if you are going to pass the remainder of your turn anyways, as was suggested above, then you can't do anything with those units in response to enemy action, right? So why not Op Fire them rather than pass?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The specific context which prompted my question was the first scenario. As the Americans I decided not to go out and meet the enemy; rather, to stay within my field fortifications. I set my four machineguns in opfire mode and was waiting to see the whites of his eyes. I used a few actions with my mortars and what not but then I came to a point that I had plenty of fresh squads but with no line of sight on anything.

Intuitively it seems to me that one must take all his actions or end his action phase completely. Otherwise, (a) you could get into a mechanical stalemate as each player waits for the other to do something first, or (b) it breaks the game as your opponent takes his actions as prescribed and you will be left over with a slew of unopposed actions at the tail end of the round.

The fatigue action therefore maps nicely with a real world order of "sit tight and wait".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
So why not Op Fire them rather than pass?

No reason to pass except maybe for certain special cards or abilities. Also there are some units that can't op fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.