Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
From an earlier thread about a list of the worst films ever made, for which I thought "Heaven's Gate" had got a bad rap. I considered Michael Cimino's film a masterpiece, but reading about it brought me down into a wikipedia wormhole for a couple of hours about the whole fiasco that brought United Artists to it's knees.

And one term I hadn't heard of before was the New Hollywood era that lasted between 1967 with Bonnie and Clyde till 1980 with, well, Heaven's Gate. Apparently, this film destroyed not only a movie company, but a whole era of film.

Another attribute I found about this film era was how many films were in it that I consider some of the best films ever made.

So using that list from the Wiki I linked above, which of these films do you consider some of your favorites?

I think my top 2 would think(besides Heaven's Gate, and Bladerunner)..

I do love me some Michael Cimino!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, wow. Too many to pick just 2 or 3 or 10. Great, great list of films!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Of those, though there are lots of greats, two that stand out as better than I expected, based on their reputations, are Catch-22 and Apocalypse Now. Catch-22 had some marvelous performances, and while it deviated substantially from the book, very effectively captured the absurdity of it. Some truly wonderful scenes.

Apocalypse Now I had largely dismissed as yet another lecture about how important Vietnam was to my parents' generation. It's dramatically more universal than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm watching Jaws right now as I type this.
Some really good movies on the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Interesting that this is the era where actors were hired on (gasp!) their acting abilities rather than purely on looks (of course, that was still a factor, but a much lesser one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Sexby
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to pick Apocalypse Now and Taxi Driver, if you forced me to pick two, but man-oh man, what a list.

P.S. Sam Peckenpah seems underrepresented on the list...no The Wild Bunch, Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia or Cross Of Iron?**?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking The Godfather would have to be right up there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
That was interesting to learn about the demise of UA due to Heaven's Gate. The end of an era indeed.

From that list I'd have to pick Raiders of the Lost Ark and Blade Runner as two of my favorites among many really good films from that era.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Oh, wow. Too many to pick just 2 or 3 or 10. Great, great list of films!

thumbsup

Apocalypse Now and Deer Hunters
next up in no order Taxi Driver, Blade Runner, Alien

Interesting to see, that besides John Carpenter no other director of the 70ies Horror Movies is on that list. I think at least Wes Craven should be included; and Tobe Hooper, George A. Romero & Sam Raimi as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if I should say this publicly, but I never understood the love for Bladerunner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:
I don't know if I should say this publicly, but I never understood the love for Bladerunner.

Watch the director's cut.

The movie is a very adept exploration of the meanings of "consciousness," "love," "life," "death," and "god."

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Better than Westworld, too.

Brilliant, start to finish. The cinematic release is good, but not what it could have been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"oh..I know you. You brade-runnah!"

One of my favorite lines from that movie, because it is so stereotypical. Years later, George Lucas would be vilified by some for using a similar dialect for the "villains" (Trade Federation) in "The Phantom Menace".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Sting
Star Wars
Jaws
Bladerunner

Hands down, my four favorites (sorry, there is no way I could pick two). What a fantastic list of great movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
There are about fifty must see from this era, but I'm going to list a range that covers both a range of directors and genres:

MASH (Altman)
Rosemary's Baby (Polanski)
Little Big Man (Penn)
Klute (Pakula)
McCabe & Mrs Miller (Altman)
Young Frankenstein (Brooks)
Dog Day Afternoon (Lumet)
The Exorcist (Friedkin)
Blow Out (DePalma)
Annie Hall (Allen)

When I consider these lists, I realize that perhaps 2% - 3% of my waking life hours have been spent watching films, and I don't regret that at all - except for perhaps Blue Lagoon (Shields) and Massacre at Central High (Horsehead bookends!!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
oh, and Highlander 3: The Quickening - which was a compromise watch with my wife, during one of our first dates.

I compromised, because our first three "date" films were this:

Godfather 1 (rereleased during a movie festival)
The Bad Lieutenant
Husbands and Wives

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my absolute favorite era of films! So many excellent films!

I never realized it had a name. Thanks for the share!

Edit:

I looked at the list, it is missing one of the more intense movies from that era...

Punishment Park

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punishment_Park

Second Edit:

The Last Detail

The Last Picture Show

Paper Moon

Chinatown

Network
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about some tense Spielberg?

Duel - better than it had any right to be

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Sexby
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bop517 wrote:

Edit:

I looked at the list, it is missing one of the more intense movies from that era...

Punishment Park

Gary - superb list in this post, had to think really hard about putting all of them in my own list of two...

Spot on about Punishment Park, Peter Watkin's only U.S. film. He was a groundbreaking director. If you've not done so already, check out two of his earlier films made for the Beeb, Culloden, and The War Game, which was banned over here until the mid-Eighties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edward Sexby wrote:
bop517 wrote:

Edit:

Punishment Park

Gary - superb list in this post, had to think really hard about putting all of them in my own list of two...

Spot on about Punishment Park, Peter Watkin's only U.S. film. He was a groundbreaking director. If you've not done so already, check out two of his earlier films made for the Beeb, Culloden, and The War Game, which was banned over here until the mid-Eighties.

Will do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.