Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
It's not easy being green.
mbmbmbmbmb
From GMT's folder on Consimworld
Gene Billingsley wrote:

By way of answering Garry's question about the Napoleonic Wars reprint (and that answer is YES, it's on the "coming 8 months" schedule), here's a ROUGH look at how we see the upcoming print schedule at present. PLEASE NOTE that a) this may well change based on how the P500 numbers look over the coming months, and b) there are several products that we are virtually certain we will print in this time frame but for which we still don't have a slot for or are awaiting the final developer "go signal."

Here's a rough look:

Shipping June: Monmouth, Deluxe Map Empire of the Sun, Deluxe Map For the People

Shipping July: Glory III, The Great War in Europe Deluxe

Shipping August: Conquest of Paradise, 1914: Twilight in the East, Reprints of Battle Line, Ivanhoe, Formula Motor Racing

Shipping September: Asia Engulfed, C3i 19

Shipping October: Combat Commander: Mediterranean, CC Scenario Pack Paratroopers (assuming it rises as fast as we think it will, we'll print these together), FAB: Bulge

Shipping November: Commands & Colors: Ancients Expansions 2 & 3 (again, assuming P500 #s rise as we hope for #3, they'll print together)

Shipping December: SPQR Deluxe Edition, SPQR Reprint, SPQR Scenario Pack

Shipping January: The Napoleonic Wars Reprint Edition, Kutuzov.

We're still looking for production slots in this timeframe for Unhappy King Charles, Barbarian, Blackbeard, and Chandragupta, as well as of course anything that takes off on the P500 list over the coming months.

I hope this is helpful.

Enjoy the games!

Gene
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good to me. It is probably a bit overambitious, and certain titles will no doubt slide or be bumped by highly preordered but currently unscheduled titles like Unhappy King Charles. However, he clearly states this is a rough estimate, so hopefully no one will get too upset when things slide. I'd personally rather have this information (even if likely to change) than none at all.

I'm happy to see that Conquest of Paradise may finally be here. With the release of Asia Engulfed, Combat Commander: Med, and the C & C Ancients expansions all in the fall, I think it is safe to say that this will likely be another very good year for GMT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So..........
August will be a good month I see.....maybe....perhaps......
(Conquest of Paradise Fan)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well its good news for my wallet, as none of my preorders are being produced....cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I'm not the first person to ask, but I'll ask again anyway. What is the major bottleneck for GMT as far as producing more titles? The P500 seems to be incredibly active, with games hitting 500+ on a regular basis. The production schedule doesn't seem to keep pace with the demand.

Is the reason for not cranking out more games a question of risk? Capital? Art resources? And if it's the latter, is there any reason why GMT doesn't bring on more resources? It seems like a tough business to grown, because you have to be able to cut back your production when things get slow, but you want to be able to meet demand quickly when it's there.

Regardless, that seems like a healthy list of titles for the next 6 months. Looks like I'll be buying at least 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I think they put COP on there to get us fanboys to cool our boots.

Only have to wait till the end of the summer now.

Jeeps!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff wrote:
Is the reason for not cranking out more games a question of risk? Capital?

I suspect it's two-fold: capital and, believe it or not, not wanting to compete with your own games. This may sound odd, but it's been proven in the past. A niche-market company that releases too many games at once finds sales of one game can actually hurt sales of another game, because their fans can only spend so much at one time. Release the games over a period of time and the same fans will buy them all, one after the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bravey
United Kingdom
Stafford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch, the last quarter of this year is going to be expensive!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Dizon
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigh, three more months of wearing out other people's copies of Ivanhoe in my gaming group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
still no ETA for Unhappy King Charles!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Nardo
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff wrote:
Is the reason for not cranking out more games a question of risk? Capital? Art resources?

My guess would be "people resources", combined with the nature of GMT's support base. Things that would be resolved in a couple hours face to face can take days when handled by E-mail, especially when people's schedules don't overlap very well. Very few of the folks who work on GMT games (designers, developers, artists, layout editors, outside proofreaders, etc.) are co-located in the same city, let alone being co-located at the GMT office.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
...and, believe it or not, not wanting to compete with your own games. This may sound odd, but it's been proven in the past. A niche-market company that releases too many games at once finds sales of one game can actually hurt sales of another game, because their fans can only spend so much at one time. Release the games over a period of time and the same fans will buy them all, one after the other.

I think there is a lot of truth to that. In fact, I seem to remember in GMT's winter flyer that Gene promised to slow down or even out production a tad. I assume, therefore, that there were some complaints that folks couldn't keep up monetarily. I know with the number of great looking games from GMT and MMP on P500 I'm in the hole for a lot of money. If they are spread out a bit I may actually be able to afford them all - not to mention getting some time to play them before the next big thing is released!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Shipping August: Conquest of Paradise, 1914: Twilight in the East, Reprints of Battle Line, Ivanhoe, Formula Motor Racing

Does anyone know if this statement regarding Formula Motor Racing is still accurate? When I looked on GMT's website, I didn't see it listed for this summer with the other two Knizia games (Battle Line and Ivanhoe).

Stephen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heinzmann
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
631 Manoeuvre
Check out this SneakPeek GMT 45.00 32.00

I have been waiting years for this and looks like I will have to wait yet another. What is the magic number? 500 doesn't seem to have the meaning it's supposed to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blad
United States
Mesa
AZ - Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris wrote:
"I have been waiting years for this and looks like I will have to wait yet another. What is the magic number? 500 doesn't seem to have the meaning it's supposed to."

Originally it was set for 500 units, but over time 500 units has not covered the cost of production so it has evolved over time to a Pxxx process. Once the production costs are covered, they call it ready to print..at least that is how I understand it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bravey
United Kingdom
Stafford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the name P500 has stuck for historical reasons. It's much less of a mouthfull than P'about 750 give or take a few is when we'll seriously consider getting it a production slot'. The exceptions seem to be reprints, games in a series and the occasional game that's ready to go just when a production slot opens up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.